1948 Buick Roadmaster convertible for sale

I am very suspicious of this advert on Ebay for a restored 48 roadmaster. High end car with no reserve. I contacted the seller asking for a phone number but instead sent lots of photos extolling its perfection and stating payment was by bank wire transfer even though I offered to pay with cash. Seems hinky to me and I suspect its a fraudulent auction. Seller has  380 feedbacks on his ID but only 28 are actually on his feedback page??? Something not right here! 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Buick-Roadmaster/283365447183

30 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

not sure what you find problematic. nothing abnormal to me. you do realize the car is a bit tattered and a 4 dr?

restored? not really..............

The photos dont show much but the seller sent me about 35 pics and also claimed it was fully restored " to the highest standards" . I am not sure what you are looking at thats tattered but I did think some of the restoration work on the interior was less then the best. Hope it is for real but email I got was very familiar. I have asked seller to allow an inspection by a friend that is nearby and if he says yeas to that its for real but if not for some excuse then buyer beware. Also how can you have 380 feedbacks next to your seller ID but then when you go to look at the feedbacks there are only twenty eight? This is not possible unless it has been manipulated. Check it out and let me know because in 20 years of Ebaying I have never seen this before. 

55 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

not sure what you find problematic. nothing abnormal to me. you do realize the car is a bit tattered and a 4 dr?

restored? not really..............

Mercer09, you are misreading the Ebay page.  If you click on it, it shows the red Roadmaster convertible that Lawrence is talking about as "sold," and then below it says "We found something similar," and shows the Roadmaster 4-door sedan you are talking about.

• Like 2

Well crud...if a restored ROADMASTER convertible only brought $21k, I am seriously screwed on my 47 Super!!  I still have minor stuff like Interior (every stitch), chrome (all), top (including repainting bows/header), and paint everywhere to get completed!  This is after I get the car moving under its own power and servicing the complete hydraulic system for the top, doors, and seat!  Ugh.

I can end the auction earlier and sell it for the right offer , so don't miss it  .
Engine: 320 cubic inch OHV straight-8
Transmission: Dynaflow 3-speed Automatic
Gear Ratio: 3.6
Wheelbase: 129 inches
Wheels: 15-inch steel wheels with hubcaps
Tires: 8.20-15 Denman Classic wide whitewall
Exterior Color: Red
Interior Color: Red Leather
1948 Buick Roadmaster Convertible
Easily capable of cruising at modern highway speeds, with a comfortable ride and surprisingly good brakes, you can drive it anywhere.
The chrome and trim is most likely 100% original, and while a few areas are showing some age, most of it is in extremely good condition. The rear bumper shows some light flaking along the top edge, but the stainless is all bright and shiny with no dents, the delicate ‘Dynaflow’ script on the front fenders is beautifully preserved, and the legendary Buick “bombsight” hood ornament is extremely nice. All the lenses are intact, and it appears that the red inserts on the trunk emblem are new reproductions with fresh chrome block letter inserts.
Lovely button-tufted door panels are befitting Buick’s most expensive model (except for the station wagon), and the seats have been finished using proper pleats. Top grain leather was used as original, so it looks good and wears like iron. Fresh carpets were also installed, along with four new Buick-logo floor mats that give it a vintage look. The gauges are all original and all functional, although the original Sonomatic AM radio and glovebox-mounted clock are not. Overhead, the tan canvas convertible top may very well be original, and the vacuum-actuated mechanism works as it should. Both front windows are also hydraulically operated and 100% functional.
The big 320 cubic inch OHV straight-eight fires quickly and settles into a smooth idle with a pleasant mechanical whir coming from under the hood. The exhaust rumbles with the unmistakable sound of eight cylinders, and the engine doesn’t smoke or make any unpleasant noises. It doesn’t overheat, the generator puts out plenty of amperage, and steering is light although there was no power assist in 1948. There are signs of recent work under the hood, with fresh paint on the valve cover, pushrod cover, and spark plug cover, as well as a fresh set of decals. There’s also a correct AC oil filter, original oil bath air filter, and nearly thirty feet of heater hose to feed the under-seat heater and defroster system. Insert bearings were used in 1948 for the first time, increasing reliability and improving high-speed durability, making this a Buick that will cruise effortlessly at modern highway speeds. The Dynaflow transmission works as advertised, with a seamless flow of power and no perceptible gear changes, which always feels unusual to those of us accustomed to typical automatics where you can discern the shift points.
Mechanically excellent and still quite handsome, this Roadmaster convertible is a no-compromises hobby car. It easily floats along at 70 MPH with a comfortable ride and surprisingly good brakes, so you can drive it anywhere. Parts are plentiful, service is easy, and the Buick 320 cubic inch engine is one of the most reliable machines to ever come out .

If any member knows of a 48 or similar Buick Roadmaster convertible I have a friend who is seriously looking for one in driving condition, no non runner project cars as we have to ship it. Please PM me if you can help me find a real car!

Thanks

11 hours ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

I am very suspicious of this advert on Ebay for a restored 48 roadmaster. High end car with no reserve. I contacted the seller asking for a phone number but instead sent lots of photos extolling its perfection and stating payment was by bank wire transfer even though I offered to pay with cash. Seems hinky to me and I suspect its a fraudulent auction. Seller has  380 feedbacks on his ID but only 28 are actually on his feedback page??? Something not right here! 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Buick-Roadmaster/283365447183

I have no opinion on the ad's honesty but the 28 feedbacks are only the last 12 months.  Click on the "All Feedback" tab to see the rest.  I didn't count them but there are way more than 28.  However, most are as buyer - there are only a couple as seller.

I've heard that some seller's on EBay have a friend or relative who will come in on a high bid for a secret reserve (which is not mentioned on the listing) which is done to avoid a potential real valid high bid getting the vehicle for a price that is much less than the seller wants to accept.  The Seller then waits some time and lists the vehicle again and gives an explanation that the earlier high bidder failed to come forward with all the funds. Why use this practice?  Some sellers believe that placing a "false no reserve" gets more attention with potential buyers and hence (as the thinking goes) higher bids. This hidden reserve practice frequently happens also with on-site auctions. 

definitely a scam. I had one on a 67 GS convert. got all these reasons I could not see the car. I finally said i want to see the car first, and I will give you cash on the spot.  you could hear the crickets chirping. i notified the site and they pulled the car.