1932 Chrysler CP 8 cyl

rmelton

Hello

I just picked up a 1932 Chrysler 8 CP Victoria Coupe, and know nothing about it.

I would like to get manuals if they exist; I noticed an owner's manual reprint on Amazon.  Is that worthwhile, and is there anything else?

I would also like to add a heater.  Not sure if Chrysler offered one, or would they all be aftermarket?  And what brand would fit, both aesthetically and practically?

Car is in great shape, all restored, but unfortunately, someone got rid of the honeycomb radiator core and replaced it with a modern aluminum core and pressurized it.  I will be returning it to honeycomb non-pressurized.

Any advice about this car and where to find parts will be most appreciated.

Thanks very much

Roger Melton

Bloomfield Village, MI

Roger, no one will believe you that you have acquired at '32 unless you post pics of it. And we do love pics of early Chryslers.

If the owners manual is anything like the '28 manual, then yes, it will be very useful. Its more like a repair manual  than a user manual like todays cars.

Just checked the photo on RM Southeby Auction for 2019 (in Phoenix?), nice car. Rob Burchill in Frederick Maryland is currently restoring a Chrysler Deluxe Victoria Coupe (not sure if it is a '31 or '32), has chassis done, body being painted, looks same as yours. He is on here as vintchry, has tons of knowledge and experience with this model, i.e. '32 CP8's and the earlier '31 CD8's, and carries many parts. Search his handle and send him a PM. I have 2 1931 Chrysler CD8's, a Roadster project underway, and a Sedan donor car. Some parts are interchangeable with '32, but most sheetmetal is slightly different. I think the Victoria Coupes are the most rare model, only a handful left. I have a spare dog-eared copy of the '31 CD8 operators manual if you can't find something closer. The manual is very helpful.

Welcome aboard Roger.

Looks like a nice one, going to be a driver or a trailer queen ?

Tell us about your goal for her, and how much of a mechanic you are.

How we answer your questions depends a lot on what YOU can do.

Mike in Colorado

• 2 weeks later...

Roger, 

I assume you bought the Green Victoria, a nice car. The owners manual is most needed. It contains a lot of information with illustrations. I have a CP-8 sedan myself, and am in touch with quite a few owners of these cars. If interested in learning more about these cars, send me a message and we'll chat about these cars. 

Joe in Tennessee

• 2 years later...
On 2/16/2019 at 10:02 PM, 32ChryslerCP said:

Roger, 

I assume you bought the Green Victoria, a nice car. The owners manual is most needed. It contains a lot of information with illustrations. I have a CP-8 sedan myself, and am in touch with quite a few owners of these cars. If interested in learning more about these cars, send me a message and we'll chat about these cars. 

Joe in Tennessee

Hi! We are also restoring a Chrysler CP8 1932 and would like to get some service manuals if they exist. Unfortunately, I cannot send you direct message as I am new at this Forum and system have not yet approved me doing that. Could you probably send me a message. Thanks. 

On 10/3/2021 at 1:33 AM, Bob Scafani said:

Is there any truth to the idea that the CP8 had heating problems? I had a CP8 sedan that the previous owner had trouble with over heating. He took out the engine and the was the end of it. I didn't find an engine so I sold the car. 

Which year was it? I've learned, mid of 31st Chrysler improved cylinder head / gasket to solve cooling issue of straight 8, especially for 6/7/8 cylinders - one can see more "wholes" in the gasket for water circulation

Re above comment about more holes in gasket, this photo shows at top the early 1931 CD8 gasket (it had 3" pistons) and the later CD* gasket (3.25"pistons). Note the many extra holes as you go from front to back, especially near center row of studs around 6/7/8.

IMG_5520.JPG

• Like 2