1939 Chrysler Cruise and Climb overdrive transmission.

I have a 1939 Chrysler “cruise and climb” Overdrive transmission. It came out of a ‘39 New Yorker and I was keeping it as a spare for my ‘39 Imperial but it’s been almost 10 years and I haven’t needed it yet...”Kiss of Death, I know”...

Anyway, I’m not sure if this transmission will fit all ‘39 Chrysler products or just the Straight Eight cars...nor do I know if the Overdrive unit is interchangeable with other Chrysler products from that era. It is the Overdrive that is the real jewel here as it makes these cars so much more drivable as both the eights and the sixes can cruise down the road at highway speeds without issue. My Imperial has the standard 4.30:1 rear end ratio (the non O/D cars had 3.90:1 gears) and even with these 4.30’s (short leg gears) I can still drive her all day at 75 MPH with ease. I’ve actually thought about swapping out the 4.30’s for the 3.90’s to make it even more highway friendly but would hate to lose the low end. 

If anyone has more knowledge of the interchangeability of these transmissions or even the actual Overdrive unit, or is interested in the complete transmission please let me know. Thanks.  

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2019 at 11:02 AM, cpwalter said:

Do you still have the 39 overdrive that you had for sale?

Here's a link to a C/L ad offering a '39 Chrysler motor and overdrive transmission for $500. He's has been offering it for a while now, maybe he would separate them. The location is Sanborn, MN:

https://mankato.craigslist.org/pts/d/sanborn-1939-chrysler-royal-motor-and/6853450970.html

00L0L_dNJ6dOfW6KO_1200x900.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been hanging on to my Cruise and climb overdrive transmission for several years now. I know how difficult they are to find and as such I wanted to have a replacement for my ‘39 Imperial. Fortunately I have not had any issues with my transmission and based on average mileage of approximately 800 miles a year, I’m thinking the existing transmission will outlast me! Anyway, I have decided to sell it and so if you are interested, please let me know. Best regards, John Loney.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean? I have a Cruise and Climb overdrive transmission from a 1939 Chrysler New Yorker (C23) that I’m interested in selling. This transmission does have a kick down under full throttle as per the factory design. 

• 1 year later...

I was unaware until just recently that the overdrive unit for a 1939 Chrysler was the same for both the six and eight cylinder cars. As such, my transmission is only for an eight cylinder (Imperial, New Yorker or Saratoga) however the overdrive unit will work on the six cylinder Royals and the S6 DeSoto. 

612D17BF-E77C-4A66-ACA1-707046121A7C.jpeg

78A6DC63-84D9-40CB-B916-37CD7FCDA78A.jpeg

7C53676A-7AD5-4373-BECA-CB16F41FC8CD.jpeg