Zank_Frappa

89 Reatta Muffler Options

Hey guys, I just bought an 89 reatta with 107k miles yesterday, and pretty much everything looks good on it with the exception of one thing- it's got no muffler. Previous owner was going to put a cherrybomb glasspack on it, but never got around to it before going off to the army. It's not really my taste, as I want something nice and quiet.

I did a little bit of googling myself, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to what I might wanna use. As I understand it a Riviera exhaust would work, but wouldn't look correct, having only one outlet?

Thanks

Reed

Edited by Zank_Frappa (see edit history)

I bought two factory OEM stainless steel mufflers off e bay and would sell one if interested.

Please e mail me at;

lemke1044@aol.com

• Like 1

Here are some thoughts..........Since your car has no muffler,  you may not be aware that the Reatta had two tailpipes coming out the drivers side (the Riviera had one tailpipe)

two of the pictures are from muffler company catalogs showing the Camaro muffler which can be used,  but the Camaro had a tailpipe coming out both sides,  so you flip the Camaro muffler so the two outlets are on the drivers side.

I also included an idea where you use two glass packs.......

Sorry I downloaded the same picture twice and cannot figure out how to delete one.

glass pack.jpg

muffler2.jpg

CAMARO MUFFLER.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I did the Camaro muffler on the Black [my winter Reatta]. Sizes of the pipe inlet and outlet sizes were a bit wrong for the Reatta exhaust pipes. Ended up at Advance Auto getting adapters. Did the muffler with adapters and clamps for less then $100.00

About a year ago I did research on the Reatta forum for the correct OEM stainless steel replacement muffler. Then checked E Bay and found three of them and bought two. 

The Camaro muffler I bought for the Black was not stainless steel and would have lasted but then the exhaust pipe farther up from the muffler rusted out. As luck would have it I went out to Gibson's and there was a Reatta out there with a like new new factory exhaust. Cut it out and paid You Pick prices for the pipe I needed plus muffler and tail pipes. Got a connector once again from Advance with clamps to connect the existing pipe to the You Pick replacement so now have a like new exhaust.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to try the riviera muffler and go for a "close enough" look, simply because it's what I can get my hands on soon and for cheaper than an OEM part. There are other, more pressing issues I need to address (namely fuel sending unit and some body work) and saving some money now would be helpful. I do appreciate you offering to sell me your OEM part though Dave.

When I learned I could not buy an exhaust system for the car I took mine to one of those muffler shops that will bend one up and install. I could have specified a muffler with the dual outlet but decided instead for a single with a nice chrome tip. They bent it up to follow right where the original system went and I am very happy with the installation.

• Like 1

I did the Camaro muffler conversion on my 90 Red and 87 Allante more than 10 years ago.  Got the in/out on right side and single outlet on the left mufflers on EBAY and had a local shop weld them and fabricate the left and right outlet.  The red reatta has been replaced wth a 90 white and I got the wrong muffler this time.  Does anyone have a part number for the muffler I'm looking for [top diagram in Ronnie's post]?

Several manufacturers offer the mufflers.   The auto parts house should have a catalog and you need to find one that indicates any port can be used for a inlet or outlet.   This would be a universal design which allows them to sell the same muffler for many applications.   Otherwise, only the original inlet can be used as an inlet or you will get a unwanted sound.