Sign in to follow this  
babychadwick

1938 Zephyr Starter

Does the starter spin the same direction positive vs negative ground?  I am thinking of converting to 12V an running a negative ground would be simpler.  I did this on the 28 I had but without trying it I'm not sure if the starter is reversible if you change the polarity.  My Lincoln is already set to run the starter on 12V with a reducer for the remainder of the car.  My thoughts are to run the reducer for say the temp gauge and horns but the rest should run on 12V with a changing of bulbs etc.  There is no radio.

Starter don't care. It will run same direction pos or neg ground and will work fine on 12 volts.  

Your starter will  not last as long using 12 volts to operate it. Ring gear damage is also possible, due to the increased speed at engagement. If you are determined to go to 12 volts, then i would recommend that you have your starter converted to 12 volts.

Been using 12 volts on my 40 6 volt starter for going on 23 years.  Those starters have heavy windings in them.  The Bendix Spring will probably let go before the ring gear. I haven't experienced either.  I know several folks that are using 12 volts on their starters.  

My grandfather had this setup to run 12V with a reducer for 6v to the rest of the car.  Being well versed in Model T's I am aware of running a starter on 12v and the controversy involved.