I am interested in a friends Wills St-Claire pedal car but cannot find much information about it. Who produced it? What year was it produced? What would a realistic value be in it's current condition? Would you restore or leave it in it's current condition? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much!

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

What a neat piece!  Love the dash and the oil can that is mounted under the dash.

I think it would be a mistake to restore it, it's a little toasty but still looks great and is complete.  Plus, you'd lose those great original dash "instruments".

You might contact the WSC Museum and see if they have any information.  

I have no idea as to value of this particular pedal car, but my gut feeling is 1500 would be a bargain and 3000 is too much.  Hopefully someone with a real sense of values of these will chime in, good luck!

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I think Gendron pedal cars have that style emblem so it could have several names to interest people. I don’t know a lot about price but I don’t think Dave is off the money...

I don`t think I`ve ever seen a pedal car with rear spring suspension, at least that`s what I think I see..

The  namesake  of  this  pedal  car  was  produced from  1921  to  1927. In 1922 they  had  a v-8 with  twin  over  head  cams,  my  friend  in N.H.  had  one. 

Thanks for the your responses! Yes the car does have a rear suspension. I do agree that it would be better to leave in it's current state. The owner would like to have $1000 for it as it sits, probably a fair price. I will contact the WSC museum this week to see if they have any info.

Edited by gt40pilot
addition (see edit history)

Yes, I'd think it's worth $1000 all day long....I'd be all over it around that price.....that's a unique pedal car of a short lived make of car, and it has some features not normally seen on such pedal cars....the pictures show it apparently at a flea market, I'm surprised it didn't sell there (unless that's where your friend bought it).

• Like 1

I’m surprised it’s still available as $1000 seems very reasonable. I still think it’s a Gendron, they made very high quality pedal cars some of which had operational doors and windshield just like the car it was made to look like. 

If I had any connection to the Wills (other than an employee badge somewhere deep in my collection) I wouldn’t have passed on it...

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 8:55 AM, Mark Wetherbee said:

I’m surprised it’s still available as $1000 seems very reasonable. I still think it’s a Gendron, they made very high quality pedal cars some of which had operational doors and windshield just like the car it was made to look like. 

If I had any connection to the Wills (other than an employee badge somewhere deep in my collection) I wouldn’t have passed on it...

On 2/3/2019 at 8:55 AM, Mark Wetherbee said:

I think at this point I will leave it as is, I am still trying to gather information on this car. My cousin is the curator at the Studebaker Museum and put me in touch with the Wills St-Claire Museum curator who relayed me some pics of another car that looks to be just several years newer than mine. We only know of these two cars at this time, the other car is somewhere in Canada. Any information at all is greatly appreciated. Below is a picture of the car located in Canada. Thank You for your interest!

P1110840.JPG

• Like 1