Wills St-Claire Pedal Car Info?

I am interested in a friends Wills St-Claire pedal car but cannot find much information about it. Who produced it? What year was it produced? What would a realistic value be in it's current condition? Would you restore or leave it in it's current condition? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much!

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

• Like 1

What a neat piece!  Love the dash and the oil can that is mounted under the dash.

I think it would be a mistake to restore it, it's a little toasty but still looks great and is complete.  Plus, you'd lose those great original dash "instruments".

You might contact the WSC Museum and see if they have any information.  

I have no idea as to value of this particular pedal car, but my gut feeling is 1500 would be a bargain and 3000 is too much.  Hopefully someone with a real sense of values of these will chime in, good luck!

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks for the your responses! Yes the car does have a rear suspension. I do agree that it would be better to leave in it's current state. The owner would like to have $1000 for it as it sits, probably a fair price. I will contact the WSC museum this week to see if they have any info.

Edited by gt40pilot
addition (see edit history)

Yes, I'd think it's worth $1000 all day long....I'd be all over it around that price.....that's a unique pedal car of a short lived make of car, and it has some features not normally seen on such pedal cars....the pictures show it apparently at a flea market, I'm surprised it didn't sell there (unless that's where your friend bought it).

• Like 1

I’m surprised it’s still available as $1000 seems very reasonable. I still think it’s a Gendron, they made very high quality pedal cars some of which had operational doors and windshield just like the car it was made to look like. 

If I had any connection to the Wills (other than an employee badge somewhere deep in my collection) I wouldn’t have passed on it...

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 8:55 AM, Mark Wetherbee said:

I’m surprised it’s still available as $1000 seems very reasonable. I still think it’s a Gendron, they made very high quality pedal cars some of which had operational doors and windshield just like the car it was made to look like. 

If I had any connection to the Wills (other than an employee badge somewhere deep in my collection) I wouldn’t have passed on it...

On 2/3/2019 at 8:55 AM, Mark Wetherbee said:

• 2 weeks later...

I think at this point I will leave it as is, I am still trying to gather information on this car. My cousin is the curator at the Studebaker Museum and put me in touch with the Wills St-Claire Museum curator who relayed me some pics of another car that looks to be just several years newer than mine. We only know of these two cars at this time, the other car is somewhere in Canada. Any information at all is greatly appreciated. Below is a picture of the car located in Canada. Thank You for your interest!

P1110840.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pedal car like the one from the museum,maker  (American ) the oil can as on the top 1928,date.

l have more pedal cars,I would not touch it,you' are missing to much, you may find some parts lather,

for now in joy it,in my book you are very lucky to own it.am sending you a picture of mine.

The way I found it, I am leaving it that way,

value,my opinion $1,500, to $2,500.you don't find pedal cars from the 1920-30 anymore 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Nos.eddy said:

I have a pedal car like the one from the museum,maker  (American ) the oil can as on the top 1928,date.

l have more pedal cars,I would not touch it,you' are missing to much, you may find some parts lather,

for now in joy it,in my book you are very lucky to own it.am sending you a picture of mine.

value,my opinion $1,500, to $2,500.you don't find pedal cars from the 1920-30 anymore 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 years later...
On 3/3/2019 at 8:56 PM, Nos.eddy said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Do you still own this car?  I have a car very similar. Trying to understand your car better. Is there a number still stenciled on the back wood slat supporting the trunk/box?  Should be a 4 digit number that I will guess ends in 540. My guess is 3540 or 4540.  I am not sure if you know but your car is an American National Buick. 

On 2/2/2019 at 9:15 PM, gt40pilot said:

I am interested in a friends Wills St-Claire pedal car but cannot find much information about it. Who produced it? What year was it produced? What would a realistic value be in it's current condition? Would you restore or leave it in it's current condition? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much!

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

This looks like an American National car. The badge on the front should have a name above the mark. Also, the center of the dashboard should have the manufacturers name as well. I do not have my catalogs in front of me, however I believe that your car is 1923 or 1924. I will try to find more information and post a photo. My 1924 American National mailer shows your car without the fenders though. 

Here is the 1925 American National catalog featuring the Will St Claire. Unfortunately American didn't always update their catalog illustrations. Allow me to speak from experience though. Your car is a 25. The Canadian car is a 24. While the grill and badge in the 25 catalog illustration looks the same as the 24, it would have changed in 25. The badge would go from the brass type on the red car to the type you have on your car. The painted wood grill would also be replaced like your metal grill. The catalog correctly describes the finish on your car as blue. 

The one thing that really does throw me off about your car is that you have a 1924 set of fenders on your car. Those changed too in 25 however maybe they just were using up old parts inventory. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...