Need info on spare tire lock and keys

Barbara Page

I am not an automotive expert. I came across this lock and keys at an estate sale. One key is marked Curtis industries. My research says they changed their name in the ‘60s. A friend who knows cars says that he thinks It’s part of a Continental tire kit.  I can’t tell if there are missing parts on the inside.  Photos attached.  Any help is appreciated.    

4D94BA25-C0A3-461A-B26C-ACC0B067064A.jpeg

8A4CEA43-80A3-44DB-99CA-26520DAFBF49.jpeg

30C5EC5F-615F-429E-BF3D-5455532D3B85.jpeg

Yup, standard old spare tire lock designed to fit over the lug nut so the tire/wheel cannot be removed from the bracket.  It's an aftermarket accessory that was purchased at auto parts and hardware stores. 

Terry

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barbara Page said:

Any idea what it might be worth?   If that's a no-no on here, I apologize for asking.

I have seen them sell from $2.00 up to about $10.00. If someone is looking specifically for this type, it may bring a couple of dollars more. You might go to Ebay and look at "completed sales" and see what they may sell for.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Youse guys are all wrong. 😁

Except John....

Real GM part that fits Corvair and Corvette.

You are missing the special bolt or nut to make this lock a tire. The bolt type was used on 61-64 Corvairs. The nut type was used on 1965 - 69 Corvairs. I do not know the Corvette years.

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,813643

Of course, it could be an old part in the system that was reused for Corvair and Corvette production. Seen that before, like the Carter YH used on Turbo Corvairs. Last used by GM on Corvettes 8 years earlier.

Curtis was still in business in the early 1990s. I bought a lot of key blanks from them. Nuts bolts and auto parts also!

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Item number isn't returning any results for me.   Looking at the pics on the link provided for the GM part it looks quite different.  The one in that posting does not have the keyway cover for one thing.   Noting several posters on the Corvair thread seem to feel it's a universal item that was used in a variety of applications, including being commercially available in the accessory market.   Not convinced it's a unique Corvair item.  I'm sure there is a real variety of these available.  Here are pics of a couple in my collection of auto accessories - one is actually a box full of them.  Someplace I have a few more that do have the keyway cover.  There is one recently sold as a Corvette lock on ebay though that brought 49 bucks.   

Terry

locks in box.jpg

Lock 2.jpg

Tire Lock Corvette.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

I have seen a LOT of these over the years, especially when I used to buy out old inventories of auto parts which had been lying around garages, hardware stores, dealerships, and auto parts stores. Some were supplied by the OEM, but LOTS of them were aftermarket. I've had them new in boxes with aftermarket brands still on the labels. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Willie Wurke said:

That is a Ford key slot (like no other)

Willie, Studebaker also used Hurd locks and keys. 😉

I've had these locks with B&S* B-10, B-41, B-43 and B-45 blank type keys and the Hurd type keys, and some with the swivel door. I am sure they were in production before the 1960s!

*Briggs and Stratton (yes, the small engine people) made most of GM's locks and keys, sometimes as licensed to Rochester Products.