Sign in to follow this  
Laughing Coyote

1989 Cadillac Allante

Having owned 4 of these Allante's I would never recommend buying one. Unless you just like looking at them as a static display.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:19 PM, Ed Luddy said:

Having owned 4 of these Allante's I would never recommend buying one. Unless you just like looking at them as a static display.

It was a good day that I sold mine also.

Just now, Joe in Canada said:

It was a good day that I sold mine also.

Yes, I know that feeling well!

The problems with the brake accumulator, digital dash display, Bose speakers that never work, rock hard Recaro seats, convertible top that had to be the worst engineered retracting top ever built, the VATS that decided when to let you actually start the car instead of just starting when you turned the key, the constant oil leaking, the growing scarcity of replacement parts,,,,,,,,,,, did I forget anything?

• Like 1

I once pondered buying an Allante, but heard of

some of the difficulties.  Ed, thanks for pointing out

the weak points--that's how we all benefit from

others' knowledge.  But what is the "VATS"?

Maybe that's why typical decent Allantes can be bought

sometimes for only $4000!

20 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I once pondered buying an Allante, but heard of

some of the difficulties.  Ed, thanks for pointing out

the weak points--that's how we all benefit from

others' knowledge.  But what is the "VATS"?

Maybe that's why typical decent Allantes can be bought

sometimes for only $4000!

John the VATS is the GM "Vehicle Anti Theft System" that seems to make all the decisions about when the car should start, not necessarily when you want to drive it.

Or say when you shut it off to get gas and it refuses to start again. Making it so that you have to push it out of the way and wait for the magic countdown on the barely visible digital display. These cars are a late 80's GM nightmare! the so called advanced electronics are terrible, but the roof is the worst. You could buy a 1988 Chevy Cavalier convertible with a power roof that worked flawlessly, but the HALO Top of the Line Cadillac had a manual top that was a real pain in the butt to figure out.

I did love the style, rarity and quirkiness back in the early 90's but the problems were far worse than any Jaguar or Mercedes SL convertible that I traded off the Cadi's for.

As a static display or flower planter....,maybe. As a mobile vehicle, never!!

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:14 PM, Ed Luddy said:

The problems with the brake accumulator, digital dash display, Bose speakers that never work, rock hard Recaro seats, convertible top that had to be the worst engineered retracting top ever built, the VATS that decided when to let you actually start the car instead of just starting when you turned the key, the constant oil leaking, the growing scarcity of replacement parts,,,,,,,,,,, did I forget anything?

The engine thin tubular coolant lines that rot and then is a major job to change.

You guys forgot the tail light lenses that melted from the heat of the bulbs, the aluminum top, hood, and trunk lid that couldn't hold onto paint, the power window switches that would come apart and fall into the door, the rear spark plugs that were absolutely impossible for any human being to change, the body ECM that would stick in wake-up mode and kill the battery between attempts to actually drive this car, the cheesy holders on the seatbacks for the seat belts that constantly were falling off, the sunvisors that were always drooping, the "morning sickness" when you first started the car and attempted to turn the wheel to the right, and the weird phantom alerts that were always coming up on the "driver information center".

Also, the raw gasoline smell when you made a hard right turn, the top pull down hook in the rear that would usually work once in five or six tries and the strange little mini covers that went next to the big boot cover and never fit right and were always getting lost.

And don't forget the complete lack of interest on the part of Cadillac Division in supporting this car past the date when your check cleared.

• Like 1

Ah yes. The many frustrating faults that I had forgot! The one last thing I have to add, the inability to sell one of these heaps when you finally throw in the towel!

The last one I had, a pearl 90.5 with 55,000 miles in near mint condition from Arizona I paid approx $9000 for. I put about 500 miles or less on it, got $2500 after trying to sell for year.

The only good thing about that car was that it cured me forever of Cadillac fever!!

Wow!  What a learning experience about this car.  I often wondered why they were not popular as a collector car and now I know!  Seems like any survivors should be used to educate future automotive design students on what not to do.  

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 8:52 AM, TerryB said:

Wow!  What a learning experience about this car.  I often wondered why they were not popular as a collector car and now I know!  Seems like any survivors should be used to educate future automotive design students on what not to do.  

Thats not a bad idea! A case study on how not to build a "HALO" marquee car to top your brand.

The cachet of the Pininifarina badge and built in Italy then shipped to Detroit to finish was a huge blunder. Both financially and workmanship wise. Cadillac has always been the gizmo laden forerunner for GM options and ridiculous ideas that soared or bombed. But no power top as well as a top that didn't operate properly was the kiss of death even in the 1st year.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:14 PM, Ed Luddy said:

How about the cheap plastic interior hardware; such as the visor mirrors?.

• Like 1

Is it possible to bypass the VATS on the Allanté? I did it in my 97 Lesabre with a resistor from radio shack