help identifying essex 1926 ?

Hi ,I´m from Spain and need some help to identify this Essex car barn find that i am restoring, do you know model and value ?....it was on race and rallies in Spain for several years on the 30th and 4oth.., the serial number is 405213 and the plate from Barcelona on 1926. Engine Hudson 6 Cil and secuencial gear box...i mean... 1st up and the rest down...and them coming up back to 1ts gear step by step ¡¡¡....it is normal ?😃

Thanks 

Pedro

essex.JPG

Edited by pedro juez (see edit history)

we hope others will chime in to help  you identify your neat car.

Initial observation is that of an Essex Sportabout, or also called  a Boat Tail body.

the Grill shell  certainly resembles a 1928 Essex shell.

Rad Shell is mounted higher with a filler strip added to meet Hood.

The cowl has the hole for the Saddle Cowl lights.

The hood louvers are at an odd angle to the hood hinge line, perhaps metal added.

Front and rear fenders are a different conformation than I am used to, they look very European and the fender light looks "MG like.

Essex Serial Numbers

337845 to 439752 (1st series) 

439573 to 499999 (2nd Series)

wheel base 110½ inches.

/

Serial number of 405213  seems to fit into the  earlier set of numbers for Series 1.

/

Now it would be much better to have pictures of engine and transmission.

The length of the wheel base from hub cap to hub cap, will be more meaningful.

On right rear  frame horn to spring support, there should be a serial number stamped into the forging part.

//////////////////////////

There is too much to note in comparing this picture to what is familiar to me.

1.Windshield is a style used in 1928 by several car lines including Essex and Hudson.

2. Bead line on hood and cowl are similar to Essex 

3. radiator shell appears similar to  1928.  ( 1926 had a peak at top center of shell )

4. the length of the drivers door from front to back

5 Picture of dash 

6. additional pictures of body from sides and rear.

7. Are there front wheel brakes?

/////////////

A lot of things come to mind and if car was campaigned in races the body may have been put on another chassis.

I know several people will be looking forward to your responses and additional pictures.

Hans

Thanks Hans, you are very kind with your exposition😁, i´ll have more  pictures in about 10 days from now because I have the car far away. i´ll post them asap.

Please, in the meantime do you know the best or bigger parts fair en usa to find parts to restore this car ?....I don't mind to go there ... god holidays and knowledge of Essex/ Hudson.

Best regards

Pedro

The largest "parts fair" would be the fall antique car show and flea market in Hershey, Pennsylvania, in October.  However, because this automobile seems to be made of the parts of many different cars, you will have difficulty knowing what to look for.  If you are looking for Essex engine or transmission parts, --- or any other parts which are sure to come from an Essex -- your time would be better spent in working through the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club.  You can locate the parts by e-mail, telephone or postal communication, much faster than to travel to America and spend several days at a flea market -- and then possibly not find the parts there anyway.  However, I would guess that most of the parts from your car are NOT from an Essex, they are from many different cars.  Your automobile was not a "stock" model built by the Hudson factory.

You may wish to ask your questions at the Hudson Open Forum, here:  https://forum.hetclub.org/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, finally I have more pictures of the car once at home ...I´ll start restoration  in about 15 days..

I found  a Corsica coachwork cricklewood placard  as well. and no dash board in the car...seems to be one made in wood and several instruments not from the period...the previous owner takes for him 😟.

Any idea from engine...there is not any number ,or I dont find.

Thanks 

Pedro 

CORSICA 13.JPG

CORSICA 8.JPG

corsica 3.JPG

CORSICA 7.JPG

Pedro, you have an interesting composite of a rally car. 

My comments about your car should not stop you from enjoying it!

I will go by picture with what I think I see:

Picture 1:

Engine looks like a Plymouth/Dodge  ( Chrysler family)  not a :

Hudson

Carburetor looks like a Holly  for Ford for 1957 to 1962

///////////////////////////////

Pict 2

Water out let from cyl head is straight up with a rather flat mounting flange to head. (Older Chrysler style)

Distributor has vacuum advance,  if there is a tag on it, what are the numbers?????

Starter has no switch on top, any numbers on starter????

Generator, are there numbers on the tag?????

Steering gear box looks like Gemer, as used on Hud/Essex cars.

Front axle, Hud/Essex type, also springs and part of front spring forging.

Front brake backing plate and drum  look like 1929 Essex ( other pict looks like wheel has 6 bolt holes like Essex the Hudson had 7

Neat conversion to hydraulic  brakes.  ( I personally would  to see the parts and method they used)

Bell housing for trans looks like an adapter,   Wilcap  Company?

(You mentioned the shifting pattern in your first posting.  I do not understand your description of the shift pattern .)

//////////////////////

Pict 3 rear view

taillights look like Ford Model A

rear frame looks like Hud/Essex  on right rear forging there should be the car serial number stamped into it.

1928 style windshield

Wire wheel, I can not count spokes, but 1929 Essex had 60 spokes,  what size tires?

( I do not see a demount able ring on wheel to remove tire.

Rear fenders seem to have a filler panel to move them outboard.

/////////////////////////////////

Pict 4

there seems to be a lot of modifications to the body: upper cowl  extended rearward, doors cut down substantially rear of cockpit reduced also.

( note Hudson and Essex used many same parts, but doors were different length from front hinge to rearof door. What does your measure???

/////////////////////////////////

Pict 4

Steering wheel looks strong but I thing not Essex.

emergency brake handle seems  way forward under cowl area.

Transmission lever not on a tower like Hud/Essex

////////////////////////////////

Pict 5

Door and body redesigned extensively

Measure length of door from hinges to handle end.  This is the primary determination of Hudson or Essex body.

////////////////

Pict 6 

Original dash panel seems recessed under redesigned cowl.  The shape of the opening for instruments is like 1928 and 1929.

Trans mission lever makes me want to see more of engine and transmission.

////////////////////////

Pict 7

Battery box looks good

Transmission lever makes me want to see more to identify it.

//////////////////////////////////

Pedro, Here are some additional comments on your pictures.

• I agree with Hans that the car is made up of components from several cars.
  • The chassis and most of the body may have been from a 1928 Essex roadster.  Look for the frame serial number on the right rear corner of the frame.  The number will be stamped into the forging to which the rear spring shackles are attached.  If it is a 1928 Essex frame, the serial number will be between 6100276 and 928657.
  • The front axle and front end of the frame in your picture looks like 1928 Essex.  Your car is fitted with hydraulic brakes.  The Essex originally had mechanical brakes.
  • The steering box in the picture of the engine is identical to the steering box in a 1928 Essex.
  • The rear frame cross member is identical in shape to the 1928 Essex. The hole pattern appears to be the same.
  • The battery box arrangement is the same as the 1928 Essex.
  • The windshield frame looks the same as on the later 1928 Essex roadsters.
  • The cowl and door could be from a 1928 Essex - The vent in the cowl, the beltline, and the hole below the belt line for the cowl light wiring are the same as a 1928 Essex roadster.  The door could be from a 1928 Essex roadster - it has the same belt line at the front of the door.  The top of the door has been cut down and the bottom of the door has been cut off flush with the bottom of the bottom hinges.  The door hinges and the door handle appear to be the same kind used on the 1928 roadster.
  • The wheelhouse (the body behind the doors) looks like it could be from a 1928 Essex roadster.  The top edge has been cut down to match the doors. 

In 1928, Hudson and Essex used the same cowl and rear body for the roadsters.  The frame serial number should determine if the car started out as an Essex.  The wheelbase should measure 110-1/2 inches.