auburnseeker

1932 Auburn In Hemmings Does anyone know the story?

I saw this Auburn on Hemmings today and while looks kind of authentic, Has some serious red flags,  like the wood dash panel insert and even Dash panel almost looks Fiberglass.  Running board trim instead of matt.  Some stuff looks like it could be period correct but some stuff contradicts it,  not to mention the 70's GM  brake and clutch pedal covers.  Wood wheels wouldn't have been my choice either.  Was this some rebodied sedan done later or?  the Lines look pretty good on it.  Not really looking to buy,  just educate myself.  

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/auburn/unspecified/2145934.html#&gid=1&pid=10

Unknown.jpeg

Looks like a nicely personalized car to me.  Note the Early Ford V8 bumpers.

• Like 1

The raised floor platform and recessed foot wells, not to mention all those levers on the "transmission tunnel" suggest something unusual is going on under the skin. Wish they had given us a look under the hood. I can't imagine anyone dropping that kind of dough without knowing what, exactly, is making it go.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Also note the 1932 Cadillac gauge cluster. Did Auburn have deep foot wells? Looks like an awkward driving pasition. 

The interior configuration is unusual to say the least as there is no place for the top when it's down except on top of the back seat.   The seats look like they could be of correct vintage,  that's why I thought there could be some legitimacy to it.  The lever configuration is odd but the levers look old as well.  That's what I meant,  one look you say well maybe it's legit,  then the next you say can't be.    

I imagine the tunnels were to give you extra foot room because the seats are possibly ahead a bit more to make room for the back seat.  You can't see under any of the fenders to see if they look like steel or glass.   I think the pedal are available pretty cheap repro.  Why would you use the wrong covers?  I see someone gave up on the horn button as well. 

I like it. I would repaint the hood vents, to match the body color. The raised floor might be for hiding/running ginseng, for that TV show. Where the dark underworld of the black ginseng market is shown.:o

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would be interested but with so many incorrect Auburn things,  it's probably worth a whole lot less.  Maybe they want a Cord that would be a fair trade.  

Yes I did for 20 G they cut the top off a 4 door,  did some metal work/ sculpting then decided to bail.  Probably atleast 10 more than it's worth.  Alot of guys would probably say 20 G more than it's worth,  but who knows. 

I knew something else looked funny.  The hood is different as well.  But the lines look right of the car so someone had to make custom side panels.  With the wood wheels and hood it has a 30 look more than a 32.  Odd they would have done that.  Usually you wanted to make a car look new not old style. 

Grille insert looks wrong to.  Would be nice to have some period photos of it.  Depicting how it looked in 32. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I don't know how close they are but seems it wouldn't fit in the earlier shell,  but maybe,  The trim around it looks factory. 

Might be a Hudson straight eight under the hood, maybe the whole chassis.

I couldn't find anything about  eden body LLC when I googled it. 

7 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Probably only if Xander owned it. ;) 

Awful presumptuous of you Auburnseeker.:huh:

Auburn 017.JPG

• Haha 1

You never mentioned you had a Hudson with a twin H setup in it,  when you were selling it,  or you would have really had me.  I would have put the Auburn engine off to the side and eventually rebuilt it,  but drove the hell out of it in primer with the Hudson engine in it. 

The narrative calls it a victoria, while it is a cabriolet.  The non-factory body?  Auburns didn't have vent doors in their hoods.  Wood wheels were available for Auburns of the era

1 minute ago, auburnseeker said:

You never mentioned you had a Hudson with a twin H setup in it,  when you were selling it,  or you would have really had me.  I would have put the Auburn engine off to the side and eventually rebuilt it,  but drove the hell out of it in primer with the Hudson engine in it. 

Put the Lycoming engine back in, to make it more appealing to the Auburn market. I was going to drive it with no fenders, and the Hudson engine.

Auburn 032.JPG

shop 094.JPG

I would have left the fenders on it.  I still wish timing was right.  I batted it around but had the Cord anchor to dispose of first to make it really happen.  The engine was a big hangup as well.  Never gave a thought to anything else in it to get it on the road. It's not like just dropping something different in the Cord.  That's re-engineering the whole car.  

Then everyone telling me well it's not an authentic speedster.  Well that I know but it also wasn't a plastic kit either,  I think there is quite a difference in that alone. 

55 minutes ago, Dave Henderson said:

The narrative calls it a victoria, while it is a cabriolet.  The non-factory body?  Auburns didn't have vent doors in their hoods.  Wood wheels were available for Auburns of the era

Some manufactures did offer a convertible Vicky but I agree it's more of a club cabriolet than a Vicky.  

I inquired about some more photos,  we'll see what's under that hood hopefully. 

Something doesn't look right,  although the entire package looks nice.

It needs to set about 1-2 inches lower, and have a larger tire, to better fill the wheel opening. Tires look to small IMO.

• Like 1

The levers: is the one nearest the driver an O/D?

Useless for a tall person and for driving any distance. Stewart something rev counter, AC speedo, Jaeger clock. Quite a mixture.

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

With the wood wheels and hood it has a 30 look more than a 32

Many 1932 Auburn's had wood wheels originally. I believe 1933 was the last year Auburn's had wood wheels.

I know about the wheels.  I have seen a 32 or 33 Speedster with them on it.  I always thought they looked kind of odd on performance type cars.  Nothing like state of the art for the day, being shod with conastoga wagon wheels.   They just don't seem to have the essence of speed to them. 

• Haha 1