TerryB

Postage Rates Increased 1/27

The USPS increased rates on January 27th so if you use them to ship or buy items be aware of the new rates.  I was on the AACA library offerings on eBay looking at the photos they sell and found the price went from $5 plus shipping to $10 with free shipping, probably a reaction to the new postal rates. Soon going to cost more to ship something than the actual cost of the item.  Maybe brick and mortar stores will make a comeback!

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I'm not too thrilled about the rate increases.  I occasionally sell on eBay and higher shipping costs will be another impediment to sales.

Since stamp collecting isn't popular any more,

most stamps issued in the last 80 years can be

bought in bulk for face value or less.  At one

stamp show, you could buy $100 worth of old stamps

in new condition for $65.  People use them for postage.

That makes a 55-cent letter (the new rate) cost only 35 cents!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Since stamp collecting isn't popular any more,

most stamps issued in the last 80 years can be

bought in bulk for face value or less.  At one

stamp show, you could buy $100 worth of old stamps

in new condition for $65.  People use them for postage.

That makes a 55-cent letter (the new rate) cost only 35 cents!

John, you may not believe this but my wife and I are doing that now.  We inherited a bunch of stamps, like Disney and Elvis and we are using them up!  Some require a little rubber cement to stick but it works!

Suppose someone has $1000 worth of stamps.

He can either use them on the next 2000 letters,

or else get around 50% of face value from a stamp dealer.

The dealer buys them at 50% (maybe less) and sells them

at, say, 65% of face.

This is a good way to save on the high cost of mailing.

Maybe if we are lucky the higher rate will decrease the amount of junk that doesn't even make it thru the door.

• Thanks 1

Hi Terry,

You are correct, in that the AACA Library eBay Store's prices were adjusted to reflect the current situation with shipping rates going up. Our previous pricing was no longer sustainable under the new rates. There was another good reason for the change, in that it clears up some confusion over eBay's "add to cart" button. A lot of people choose buy-it-now, which requires immediate payment on each individual item. Leaving everything with free shipping clears that part up.

I am currently working on revising all the listings, so that sales literature and photographs will have free shipping - with bulk order discounts. eBay has a tiered pricing system, in which we can set it up so that anyone buying more than one item can receive a discount on a sliding scale. ie: Buy one of more photos, get 15% off your order. Buy two or more, get 20% off your order. It simplifies the workflow. 

I don't know if we will be doing this with the books yet, as Media Mail is already fairly cheap.

If someone wants to buy multiple photos in person or over the phone, we are happy to go buy the old price, plus shipping. For eBay, we had to change the listings to what would be more practical and, these days, free shipping has become the norm with many online retailers.

Best Regards,

Matthew Hocker

Assistant Librarian

Hi Matt!

Im sure eBay and the USPS can make on line sales challenging at times.  As you know, I do my AACA purchases at your Black Swan booth in Palmyra, a good old fashion brick and mortar store.  My wife works in on line sales for her company and they too are adjusting to the new postal rates.  The challenge with the free shipping for me is the multiple item purchase knowing that shipping is worked into each items price as if it was shipped individually.  Not just AACA but other places too.  I’m sure the specifics will all be worked out!

Looking forward to the day when I can shop at the library itself.

Terry

45 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Maybe if we are lucky the higher rate will decrease the amount of junk that doesn't even make it thru the door.

This would only make 1st class postage increase.  I've been in the direct mail and magazine circulation fulfilment business for over 45 years. I owned the 2nd largest circulation fulfiment business in the Chicago metro area.  So called JUNK mail has kept the postal system alive for years. On average a 1st class letter that you send to your next door neighbor gets handled by an average of 9 people in the post system to get delivered.  JUNK mail which is required to be presorted to the order a mailperson waks/drives his route and It is prebundled so an average of 4 and a half to 5 people touch that mail.  Plus the cost is based on weight and advertising percentage and if it is requested or non-requested mail. Requested mail is like a magazine you have subscribed to. Nonrequested is an advertising flyer you receive. On top of higher cost we must supply the USPS controlled bar code system on each piece, which cost thousands of dollars a year.  That bar code has the zip +4 you might use (most 1st class does not get the +4) plus 3 more digits you never see. Also 1st classmail has a priority for the carrier to get it in your mail box within 3 days (not positive if that is that long it may be sooner) and periodical and standard mail is a maximium of 10 days to two weeks, agin I may be a little over on the time frame. Now where is the real cost of mail?

So when you say it will hopefully stop some of that junk you are just hurting yourself.  Besides I need to keep working to keep my car hobby going. 

Have fun

Dave S 

PS- Most direct mail business looks for a less than 2% return to break even. Anything ove that 2% is a big success. So the mass mail system is profitable if 2 out of a hundred takes it thru the door and responds.  

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

Ouch,

The fact remains that I still hate the useless stuff.

And even you refer to it as 'so called JUNK'. But so does everybody else.

In my opinion these advertisers are wasting trees.

• Like 1

Jack M -- not trying to embarass you or anyone - it's just a fact 1st class mail cost the USPS a lot of money that the rest of the system has to pay for.  Besides if you think of all of the other businesses like mine, printers, inksuppliers, paper mills, lumber jacks, press manufactures and a ton I can't even think of, it is far from a waste of money. My small business alone has 47 employees. The USPS system is the cheapest most effective system in the world. I still get very frustrated with it because of cost and delivery problems. Heck USPS employees go 'POSTAL' for a reason right?  Be nice to that mail carrier.  Junk mail is good for all of us.

Have fun.

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

Well I am always nice to my mail carrier. She's cute.

I have been getting a ton of certified mail lately with the building suppliers making it known that I may be liened if I don't pay for the lumber. (in the middle of a new house build)

I sometimes would like to get my mail before dark though.

Anyone who buys items and watches the route of USPS tracking on their shipment shouldn't have any problem figuring out why the cost goes up.

Parts.JPG.5d475ef0b67d3b061fc318e0d8c38d3c.JPG