Fresh paint in car corral--how to make them stop?

This year as always there was a plethora of cars for sale in the car corral that had been hastily painted and are hiding who-knows-what. Saw some that were already bubbling rust through. Don't these nincompoop dealers realize we are just going to have to re-do (correctly) everything they just did? I refuse to give them one dollar more than it was worth before they Maaco'd it. Anyone else feel the same? I realize it's probably futile, but they are making MORE WORK for us, not less.

Guest 52buick72r

I agree with you on the "quick paint and sell" jobs. It only makes me nervous. I am currently looking for a convertible for my wife, and I'd rather find one that needs work, spend my own money over time, and do the job correctly. A friend I worked with thought he was getting a deal on a 1967 GTO, only to find out that the damage had already been done by a "quick fix" seller. He spent 3x as much than he planned just fixing the "fix".

I guess the only way to stop the madness is by not buying their cars. And request documentation, either by photo's, or repair shop slips, etc.

I am getting ready to sell a 1964 Buick LeSabre 4-Door Hardtop, it needs paint, but the interior is in near mint condition. I could get more if I put paint on it, but I think it would sell faster "as is" so that a buyer knows what he's looking at and has to do. Currently, I'd say the car is close to a high 3, maybe a very low 2 if considering everything but the paint.

Anyway, maybe the Maaco jobs will slowly go away.

Matt

In any event, one can spot those buggies a mile away. However, if otherwise the car is solid, represents a good driver, buy it for what it is, drive it till the paint fades, then paint it again. The dealers are hoping to make the impulse sale and quite frankly, that's what the corral is all about that is, finding something that floats your boat and pulling the trigger. Have fun with it ... why folks get wrapped up in buyers remorse is beyond me. However, I live in Lancaster County and for may guys the road to self esteem is the knowledge that you got the most for your money, didn't get taken, and can laud that over your neighbor. They forgot that the buying experience in this case, and indeed many others, is supposed to be fun and gratifying, not a fretful event. You hear guys talking around the cars all the time picking them apart like they know something, or are winding up to devalue the car to the owner. If you like it, buy it and have fun with it. If you only intend to resell it, then get into another hobby. Enough ranting.

No different from fresh paint in the swap meet area. Until the rain started at Hershey I saw one guy behind his RV spraying Krylon on various parts so he could mark them up as "restored." Personally I trust nothing I buy in this hobby and pay accordingly.