BucketofBolts

1933 Buick Model 96 Victoria coupe

Does anyone have an idea of the number of existing 1933 Buick Victoria Coupes Model 96? This was a 138 inch wheelbase and almost 18 feet long at 215 and 1/16th inches long. There were 557 units produced for the model 1933 year. Ron G. Bartel had one out of Illinois and he sold it about 12 + years ago to someone in California as he stated to me. Richard Duffy (Covina CA) sold his to me in September 2018. Not sure if his was listed in the Buick roster.  There is a October 1995 Street Rodder Magazine at page 77-78 that had a 2.5 inch chopped top (purple) Model 96 Victoria Coupe with a modified grill and a 1971 Buick LeSabre 455 Engine  once owned by John Norton from Rochester NY (called a "Luxo-Rod"). He sold it to someone unknown. There was an incomplete one on EBay last August 2018 which I also purchased.  There is also one in Arizona in a fenced yard which was mostly destroyed in a fire and has no wood existing and has a a caved in body with a missing a hood, headlights, grill, etc . That vehicle (or what is remaining) is listed in the Buick Club. That comes out to 5 (including the Hot Rod) that I could locate after an exhaustive search. Does anyone with your superior knowledge and connections have information of the location of the purple Hot Rod, the vehicle that Ron Bartel sold and any other hidden 1933 Buick Victoria Coupe Model 96?   

There was one in Texas in the late 90's...a Medium Burgundy color with wire wheels and dual sidemounts. Nicola Bulgari has this one now, in PA.  Not sure if this is one of your "known" examples. Please post a photo of your Aug. '18 and Sept. '18 Coupes. :)

I was unaware of the red 1933 Buick Model 96 Buick in the Nicola Bulgari collection until the February 1, 2019 post on this topic. Thank you for the information. This makes 6 "known" examples. I have yet to track down Jim Norton's Hot Rod "Luxo-Rod" that he sold after the October 1995 "Street Rodder" Magazine article was printed. Further, I have been unable to track down the example that Ron G. Bartel sold 12+ years ago. Does any one else have any information as to a hidden 1933 Buick Model 96 Victoria Coupe not identified as one of the six known examples? If the burned up and seriously compromised example sitting in an Arizona yard (that may never be "saved") is removed from the 6 known examples and then including the "Hot Rod" as included in the 5 remaining units "known" out of 557 manufactured, then less than 1% survival rate would be  sad for such a magnificent Buick automobile.

I stumbled across that red one for sale at a Dallas, Texas antique auto dealership in the early 1990s. It was in good condition except for the paint, which was old and cracked.  I did not have the $$$$ it took to buy it and I was too naïve to know that there were banks that would make loans to buy it. By the time I had sold a car or two and came up with some of the $$$$, it was gone. I was told it went to a car collector in central Texas.  Next time I saw it, was in 2016 during the BCA meet at Bulgari's facility in Pennsylvania. I asked the curator where the car had come from, and he said "Texas".

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

Nice images of the red Buick. The front seats appear identical in the photo. For the Model 80 Victoria Coup for 1933 the passenger set was smaller than the driver's seat. 

With the torrents of rain in Sacramento where the cars are stored I have to wait until the sun finally comes out so I can take these 1933 Victoria Coupe Buick Model 96 examples and the 1933 Buick Model 86 to have photos taken.  

Tried to call Ed Smith's parents in Lakewood CA about their 1933 Buick Victoria Coupe Model 96 but could only leave voice mail last weekend. Sure would love to see a picture or personally see the vehicle as I travel for business to that area often. 

My father may be selling his '33 Buick Victoira Coupe model 96. Burgundy, not sure how much was replaced/restored, but definitely in "original" style condition (not chopped or muscled up). Runs as far as I know.  Email me recomer20@gmail.com if interested. In Alabama.

Rick C.

Birmingham

4 minutes ago, RickC-AL said:

My father may be selling his '33 Buick Victoira Coupe model 96. Burgundy, not sure how much was replaced/restored, but definitely in "original" style condition (not chopped or muscled up). Runs as far as I know.  Email me recomer20@gmail.com if interested. In Alabama.

Rick C.

Birmingham

Post it for sale over on the for sale section with a bunch of photos.  You might find a buyer there.