Larry Harm.

Avoid Scams

A note to members, I received this note in response to my wanted ad.  I am a member of many aviation and automobile clubs, and a life member of several. Not one other club I belong to will permit posting or replying in any way on a forum without being a member, AACA is the only club I know doing this, which  hopefully is an oversight. 

I encourage members who wish to retain the integrity of the forums and classifieds with this great Club to request that AACA Membership be required before anyone can comment or post an ad. 

Best wishes,  L

You have to be a member of the forum to post or reply here. You do not have to be an AACA member to post or reply here. If you want to avoid scams, follow the guidance listed in the pinned post and use common sense. Do not post your email address or other contact information in an ad. If you do, you are inviting every scammer with internet access to reply directly to you. If you rely on forum private messages and report any suspicious messages received from someone with zero posts, you are quite unlikely to fall for a scammer here. Probably the most important thing to remember is, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

If you want to avoid scams, follow the guidance listed in the pinned post and use common sense. Do not post your email address or other contact information in an ad. If you do, you are inviting every scammer with internet access to reply directly to you.

That is great advice for anyone who uses a forum.  There are some steps that a lot of large forums are taking to help deter scammers from posting on their websites.

As we all know, 95% of the scammers that come here have only made 1 or 2 posts. They contribute nothing to the forum and they are only looking for a chance to scam someone.  Many of the other large forums I visit have set up their forum software so only members with "X" number of meaningful posts  are allowed to post or comment in their Buy/Sell or Wanted forums. Offers to buy or sell items aren't allowed in any of the discussion forums by new members. Members who use the forums on a regular basis understand the policy and they help the moderators see to it the policy is followed.

Below is part of the policy of a large vintage speaker forum I frequently visit.  I think the post count of 100 is a little high before someone could post in a Buy/Sell forum but I don't think requiring 10 legitimate posts would be unreasonable in our Buy/Sell forums.

Being able to offer items for sale or trade is considered, by its membership, to be an earned privilege. To earn this privilege a member must accumulate at least 100 meaningful posts before he is permitted to offer anything for sale or for trade. What qualifies as "meaningful" is determined by the moderators and "for sale/trade" posts will be deleted if they are in violation of the rules.

There are many posts on here trying to sell items that were inherited or stored for a long time and getting cleared out.

You would loose these " opportunities" if you required many posts first.

Be careful , don't post your email . General location and a phone number maybe. There is a " private message" system here that works great.

If you aren't sure , ask questions , if you don't like the answers , move on.

I believe a Price should be required in each post. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roysboystoys said:

You would loose these " opportunities" if you required many posts first.

I agree, I don't think much of the one and done posters but at least we can see what may be on the market.

Being a forum member is a good thing, But I don't do clubs.

This site is perfect for a guy like me and have met up with some of these online friends that I talk about with my local buddies.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Occasionally I look at other antique-car forums--

just a few times a year.  Occasionally there are

interesting cars for sale there.  If I have to go to the

trouble of applying for each of those forums, waiting

for a response and getting a password from each,

just to inquire about an item for sale, I will have long before that

moved on.

And I ALWAYS want to see some contact information,

especially a phone number, in an ad.  I want to know the

seller's location, too.  On-line ads, such as those on Ebay

and Hemmings, often (usually) have phone numbers.

Make it hard for the criminals--and punish them--but don't

punish the honest people who represent most of the viewers!