North Texas weather report

Seafoam65

For those of you up north who are experiencing 40 below temps and -70 wind chill

factors........here is your North Texas weather report.........low 36.........high 57. Will be in the

70's this weekend. Took a couple of my old cars for a spin this morning around the neighborhood!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My Dad grew up on a farm  outside Louisville Illinois. In 1944 he joined the Army Air Corps and was sent to

Texas for training in the winter of 1944-45. When he realized what the weather was like, when he got out of the service

when the war ended, he moved to Texas and has been there ever since. It made his parents and two sisters very mad at

the time. Later on, his sisters visited him and  one of them wound up moving to Texas as well!

• Like 2

Just finished plowing from the storm here the last 2 days.  Took 3 hours.  That was after shoveling of course.  Now to tend to the skylights and shovel down the bank by the road so we can see to get out of our drive. 

Don't you miss it up here?  We had 6 inches of rain after 2 feet of snow,  which was a day after it was 15 below,  so we now have a solid 1 inch of ice under everything including my 600 foot driveway. 

These are photos from the last storm I took for a friend.  The new snow adds another dimension. 

Hopefully the global warming kicks in pretty quick.  Right now I'm freezing to death. 

I think this year since November there have been many days 10 to 20 degrees below normal but very few at or above.  I'm sure they will tell us the departure from normal is only 1 degree or so like in November when it snowed the first week, the kids built snow men,  and those snow men still looked fresh at Christmas. 

I think the last day we saw 70 much less 60 was at Hershey. 

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

Auburnseeker-Just noticed you are from Lake George. My parents have a summer house up there. It's all fun and games in the summer, but the winters are tough...really tough. I check the webcam at the Algonquin restaurant every day. Last few days have been brutal but beautiful. Hard to contrast pulling up to the Algonquin in a boat during the summer versus the current arctic wasteland vista. Stay warm brother. Riv on! PRL

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Here in the KC area it was 11 above when I went in for therapy at 9:00 yesterday morning and it was 55 when I went out to get the mail this afternoon.  ??????? 

On a similar note, although not as quick of a warm-up as Ed experienced. We were at -26 F yesterday and have the welcome forecast of 40 F on Sunday. It will be a nice break for all including the furnace and humidifier.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Hey Turb,

I have the deed to the Brooklyn Bridge.  I'll trade you the deed for a set of turbines.

Ed, I’m glad you are not dislexic on those d’s And b’s. my abbreviated nick name would have come out all wrong.

i always trust the midwesterners for certain. A bridge in trade for a set of “ hub caps” anytime.

Turbinator

Here in Saskatchewan, we are in the midst of a record setting cold spell.

Prince Albert broke a -42.8 C record that was set in 1899, with a new record of -44.8. Coronach was the coldest place in the province, setting a new weather record of -46.5 C. That broke a record of -41 C set in 1994 "

Even though it is a record, we are not unaccustomed to frigid temperatures. We dress warmly when we go out to shovel the latest 6" dump of snow! -40 degress Celsius is equal to 40 below fahrenheit.

This is a picture of my truck thermometer last week - 

Cheers!

Peter Hoemsen ROA # 6910 

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan

Canada

IMG_0055.jpg

1 hour ago, phoemsen said:

-40 degress Celsius is equal to 40 below fahrenheit.

That was the solution to one of the Isaac Asimov mysteries. All us nerds knew that by the time we got to Junior High.

My weather problem is trying to convince my Wife that wild chill factor isn't real.

That and pondering the basis of the Fahrenheit scale. Maybe I have too much windshield time.

5 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

That was the solution to one of the Isaac Asimov mysteries. All us nerds knew that by the time we got to Junior High.

My weather problem is trying to convince my Wife that wild chill factor isn't real.

That and pondering the basis of the Fahrenheit scale. Maybe I have too much windshield time.

The Wild Chill factor may be a hoax, but the wind chill factor is the real thing.

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2019 at 8:25 PM, Riviera63 said:

On a similar note, although not as quick of a warm-up as Ed experienced. We were at -26 F yesterday and have the welcome forecast of 40 F on Sunday. It will be a nice break for all including the furnace and humidifier.

Bill

Bill, I’m in hopes your water pipe project came out to your expectation. 

I just had to replace a sewage ejector pump on my lower level.

After 41 years the pump needed to be replaced.

Turbinator

5 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Bill, I’m in hopes your water pipe project came out to your expectation. 

I just had to replace a sewage ejector pump on my lower level.

After 41 years the pump needed to be replaced.

Turbinator

Bob,

All is well with the water system. We just need an 8' X 4' section of sidewalk that needed to be removed to do the repair replaced when spring rolls along. I hope your repair goes well.

Bill 

3 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

Bob,

All is well with the water system. We just need an 8' X 4' section of sidewalk that needed to be removed to do the repair replaced when spring rolls along. I hope your repair goes well.

Bill 

Bill, one plumber wanted $1800. I said, “ I live in a nice neighborhood, but I’m not stupid.” The next plumber said $1200.00. I said ok do it.

Actually, all was needed was a switch replacement. I’ve done the job before. I was sick with stomach flu and I was in bad shape.

Anyway, I’m well and the plumbing on the lower level is 100%.

8 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

Bob,

Bill 

Bill, in my early days I poured a lot of concrete. Finishing concrete will work the heck out of you if you don’t know what you are doing. Eight by four pad should be a piece of cake.

bob

On 2/24/2019 at 11:42 AM, phoemsen said:

Here in Saskatchewan, we are in the midst of a record setting cold spell.

Prince Albert broke a -42.8 C record that was set in 1899, with a new record of -44.8. Coronach was the coldest place in the province, setting a new weather record of -46.5 C. That broke a record of -41 C set in 1994 "

Even though it is a record, we are not unaccustomed to frigid temperatures. We dress warmly when we go out to shovel the latest 6" dump of snow! -40 degress Celsius is equal to 40 below fahrenheit.

This is a picture of my truck thermometer last week - 

Cheers!

Peter Hoemsen ROA # 6910 

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan

Canada

IMG_0055.jpg

Peter, I’ve been in cold weather in the MidAtlantic states in the US, BUT nothing like what you are experiencing! I’ve never could imagine being in subzero weather.

Turbinator

It's 19 above here,  but that's going to be the high for the day.  About 15 degrees below normal and there is a bit of a breeze turning into wind off and on.  Sure makes working on the garage tough.  I finished putting caps on the window casings outside.  Do one,  warm your hands up on the fire pit , do another , repeat.  

With all the darn snow the roof never stays bared up so you have to work under the dripping eves.  Today was cold enough the south side would only drip in the sun,  so I worked my way across with the drip following right behind me.  Worst part is the dripping water iced on the ladder.  They are done now.  I think I'll sort lumber inside.  16 foot planks keep you warm. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today's North Texas weather....Sunny, High 72, winds 10 m.p.h. through next weekend. Weather report for Kansas,Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana,

Ohio, Missouri and other midwestern states........."A bomb cyclone with 80 m.p.h. winds and white out conditions with 15 inches of snow expected.

Reportedly the worst winter storm in Kansas recorded history. Ed, have you climbed into your storm shelter yet?

I looked at that report earlier today.  It's going to be west of me about 100 miles.  It appears to run from southern Colorado up through central Kansas and into eastern Nebraska on it's way into Minnesota.  I'm headed south tomorrow anyway; so if it comes, I'll be returning to it.  Got the snowblower tuned up and ready to go if needed.  There is supposed to be some high winds in this area though.  Right now )3:15 PM CDT) it's 62 degrees and sunny here.

What great spring break weather for all of the students in that area.  Spring break comes earlier this year and the winter hangs around later.  Too bad kiddies.