Capillary Temp Gauge Restoration Costs?

hddennis

The technical trick to make a soldered connection to the glass tube is to etch the ends  to which the  connecting pipes must be attached.   Colour the etched surface with graphite powder, which adheres to it.  You electroplate the graphited surface with copper, and you can solder to that.     For etching the glass it is probably best done with fine blasting grit through a small sand blasting pot gun .       Hydrofluoric acid    (HF) is the commercial glass etchant,  but it is too dangerous to store and use.  HF is one of the most dangerous chemicals known,  and there is no way I would ever use it.

6 hours ago, Ivan Saxton said:

The technical trick to make a soldered connection to the glass tube is to etch the ends  to which the  connecting pipes must be attached.   Colour the etched surface with graphite powder, which adheres to it.  You electroplate the graphited surface with copper, and you can solder to that.     For etching the glass it is probably best done with fine blasting grit through a small sand blasting pot gun .       Hydrofluoric acid    (HF) is the commercial glass etchant,  but it is too dangerous to store and use.  HF is one of the most dangerous chemicals known,  and there is no way I would ever use it.

Ivan, I'm confused and believe we are talking about two different gauges??  My gauge has a copper tube full of ether that expands a flat tube inside the gauge which moves the needle. I think they call this a Bourdon tube gauge.

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

I think we’re talking about gauges using methyl ether as the fluid. The bulb in the block has some fluid and some vapor. The vapor pressure increases with temperature so that a  Bourdon tube pressure gauge is used to indicate temperature. The metal bulb and gauge are connected by a small diameter capillary tube. It is very easy to twist off the capillary tube when trying to remove the old sensor bulb from the cylinder head or the gauge from the dash. 

The Temperature Gauge Guy can turn around a gauge in about two weeks.  Call Roy Martin, ate oh too - ate sicks too - sicks tree seben fore.