1923 Dodge Bros Roadster dimensions/parts

23crate

hi everyone ..

im looking for a bit of help with my project ..  as the title suggests, 

im hoping someone can help me locate a pair of screen posts,    and the 2nd thing im looking for is..  How wide is the body on a roadster at the back of the doors please??

all I have is a cowl .. but I do have a rotten old coupe body (with no trunk at all) that may be able to contribute to the roadster project

any thing would be great !! 

thanks Al20190128_081127.thumb.jpg.da9582f05c72a400b9531c6e3976c0d0.jpg

dodge 1.jpg

• Like 1

Just saying my thoughts, I would also keep an eye out for a donor coupe body and save the leather-back coupe.  I have a very similar body in my back yard, but my leather back coupe has not been cut.  Have you verified the engine number to make sure you have a 1923 and not a 1922?

25 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

Just saying my thoughts, I would also keep an eye out for a donor coupe body and save the leather-back coupe.  I have a very similar body in my back yard, but my leather back coupe has not been cut.  Have you verified the engine number to make sure you have a 1923 and not a 1922?

are the leatherbacks rare in the US?? 

Its my understanding \, that  only 26 of my coupe were imported into New Zealand way back in the 1920's so parts here are very hard to come by.  when i first got it (leatherback) I verified the age via the engine number as being a 23.. the frame was too rusted out to confirm  ( if there is a visible difference between the 2 years . I be happy to say its a 22 --)

a chap I I know offered as much as I paid for the whole thing for the chassis and running gear. 

ive seriously considered rodding this one because unless I can get a tub/trunk from another one  despite my previous career choice as a bodyman  it will never be an original perfect coupe.. 

but having the roadster cowl is an appealing option..

Are you sure you have a '23 cowl? It looks to have square bottom doors. If it does, it is a '24-'26.  '23 and earlier open DB's had round bottom doors. Late '22 and '23 are all by themselves. Roadsters used different doors and hinges than touring cars. The cowls will not interchange until 1924. Then the doors are the same for all open cars '24-27. '23 had outside door handles on open cars for the first time (includes late '22). The windshield posts are different from '24 and later though they look similar. Early '22 and earlier cowls and posts are completely different. '23 still used the 114" wb curved frame whereas '24-'27 used the heavier 116" wb straight frame rails. Different everything. I have some of each models.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Dwollam,,

definitely round door bottoms on the cowl   hinges are definitely  inside the bodywork ...    just found this post  while searching google  for an example - doors as shown here  

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/282477-fs-pre-1923-dodge-brothers-touring-doors/

on the passengers side of the firewall  there is a body number stamped  that reads  "577007"

a thing I thought odd as well,    was the factory  screen mount support - where screen posts bolt to-  seem to allow a reasonable slope backwards  . I always thought the screen was more-or-less vertical ::

any more help to id the cowl would be great !   oh did I mention im looking for screen posts?? 

thanks 

Alex

Edited by 23crate (see edit history)

23crate, measure the up and down width of the hinge pocket in your cowl to determine if it is a touring or roadster cowl. They are different. I have real roadster doors and also touring doors. All '23 and earlier DB roadster can use the same door. '20-'23 Touring takes a different door and the hinges are different and won't interchange. '14-'19 touring doors are different as well.

14 minutes ago, dwollam said:

23crate, measure the up and down width of the hinge pocket in your cowl to determine if it is a touring or roadster cowl. They are different. I have real roadster doors and also touring doors. All '23 and earlier DB roadster can use the same door. '20-'23 Touring takes a different door and the hinges are different and won't interchange. '14-'19 touring doors are different as well.

ok ..here goes...  

vertical - height 1 1/2"

width   1 5/8"

depth of pocket  1 1/8"

am I right in thinking Roadster doors are 2" longer than Tourer ..   and they so different  Tourer doors  cant be "adjusted " to fit a Roady by a skilled bodyman .. (such as myself :-))

4 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

As Dave said roadster doors are different. I think they are 2 1/4 longer and the back of the cab is wider then touring too.

Cool I had read the doors were a different length ,, My 23 Coupe is  around 4 - 5" wider at the top of the rear door... I understand the roadster is 49" at this point ..

See how small the cast hinge is? That's alot smaller than the stamped hinge of the touring car that's the 1 1/2" you measured. If you are just building the rest of the body and are not worried about it being stock, just use 20-23 touring car doors. They are much better doors and hinges! I get $250-$350 each for roadster doors. 20-23 touring doors are $125-$150.

here is a 14-19 touring door and a 24-27 door. 24-27 door is upside down but look at the difference in the hinges. 20-23 touring hinges are pretty much like that except of course the door is round bottom similar to the 14-19 door. All 14--23 roadster doors use the skinny cast hinges and a separate screwed on door top. 20-23 touring and all 24-27 open car doors are one piece including the top of door. hinge distance apart between cast hinges and stamped hinges are different too.

19 DB pass door 002 (Large).jpg

24 drivers door 004 (Large).jpg

There is a roadster in California that has a touring cowl and doors (shorter) with a roadster rear section. They slid the body forward to sorta match up to the doors and did a filler plate behind the trunk to hide the gap. Doors are curved different up and down considerably but they made it work. Looks a bit different but it is a running driving car!

Edited by dwollam (see edit history)

1 hour ago, dwollam said:

There is a roadster in California that has a touring cowl and doors (shorter) with a roadster rear section. They slid the body forward to sorta match up to the doors and did a filler plate behind the trunk to hide the gap. Doors are curved different up and down considerably but they made it work. Looks a bit different but it is a running driving car!

wow sounds like a lot of work !,,    id be more inclined maybe to re-shape the doors    

On 2/3/2019 at 9:07 PM, Bob Scafani said:

Rounded bottom doors and the lack of embossing in the firewall scream 1922.  Roadster doors are the same 1915-1922.  I have not seen a 1923 roadster door with an outside handle.

Bob, this is a '23, note door handle. All '23 open cars had outside door handles.

20190202_145527.thumb.jpg.3c8c51c2acffd3bab2c6757029448d28.jpg