1934 Lincoln KA

Considering how much abused the term "barn find" is these days,

THIS, gentlemen, is what Barn Find means.

The description is a little odd, though.   Is the car being sold as it is shown, or is this just as it was found and now it's in some other storage, all inventoried and cleaned up? 

-- Luke

Desirable car, but $33K really should have bought it. This one sold at Hershey last fall for $260,000 in 2+ condition, so I think there's still a case to be made for buying and restoring it. But if they're looking for more than $33K, it's going to put everything upside-down very rapidly. And while we all tend to agree that looking at the dollars and cents of a project isn't really what the hobby is about, I promise you that the guy who buys and restores that car will think ONLY of the ROI.

378-1934-Lincoln-Model-KB_213651MS_900x675.jpg

On the other hand, this scruffy but fully operational car with a freshly rebuilt V12 engine and driveline sold for $90,000. Does that make car on eBay more or less of a deal? I don't know. It hurts my head to think about it. So lovely, so much potential, so much money...

138-1934-Lincoln-Model-KB_191552KN_900x675.jpg

As I've learned rather quickly, Lincolns cost as much as anything else to restore, but finished value is about 60 cents on the dollar compared to a Packard. I don't know why since they're really fine, handsome automobiles, but there it is. You might be rolling the dice taking this on as a project, but then again, maybe not. It's the best model of the best year with one of the most desirable body styles.

• Like 4

I looked long and hard at the one that sold at the RM Hershey Auction. It was very very close to a true #1 car.

If someone gave you the eBay car you could not restore it for the selling price of the RM car.  Large, complex,

well built car with some very difficult parts to find.

Johnny

So, it's a KA five-passenger Model 531 Convertible Sedan-Phaeton, designed  by LeBaron, built by Lincoln on special order on the 136-inch wheelbase.

Sources show 75 built, so perhaps the "one of 17" means that many were ordered with dual sidemounts.

With a $95K reserve, it's going to be collecting dust for some time.

1.jpg

TG

8 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Desirable car, but $33K really should have bought it. This one sold at Hershey last fall for $260,000 in 2+ condition, so I think there's still a case to be made for buying and restoring it. But if they're looking for more than $33K, it's going to put everything upside-down very rapidly. And while we all tend to agree that looking at the dollars and cents of a project isn't really what the hobby is about, I promise you that the guy who buys and restores that car will think ONLY of the ROI.

378-1934-Lincoln-Model-KB_213651MS_900x675.jpg

On the other hand, this scruffy but fully operational car with a freshly rebuilt V12 engine and driveline sold for $90,000. Does that make car on eBay more or less of a deal? I don't know. It hurts my head to think about it. So lovely, so much potential, so much money...

138-1934-Lincoln-Model-KB_191552KN_900x675.jpg

As I've learned rather quickly, Lincolns cost as much as anything else to restore, but finished value is about 60 cents on the dollar compared to a Packard. I don't know why since they're really fine, handsome automobiles, but there it is. You might be rolling the dice taking this on as a project, but then again, maybe not. It's the best model of the best year with one of the most desirable body styles.

The two here are KB's I believe - the one for ebay sale is a KA - very different beasts value wise

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

The two here are KB's I believe - the one for ebay sale is a KA - very different beasts value wise

Agreed. I didn't realize the barn find was a KA. $33,000 should have bought it. That said, I tend like the lines of the shorter wheelbase cars (as if 136 inches is a "little" car!) better than the bigger cars. And given the impressive performance of my aluminum-bodied 136-inch V12 Lincoln K (you know, that one day when it ran for a while), a good-running KA should be a flat-out awesome tour car even though the engine is 32 cubic inches smaller.

Oh, and look at the nomenclature in the Lincoln ad up there. The "convertible sedan-phaeton." Wasn't there just recently a discussion on how all the different manufacturers named their 4-door cars with folding tops and how confusing it can get? Add another log to that fire...