cleaning inside taillight?

Rob in VA

Is there any way to disassemble the taillight unit to clean inside if dirt/debris has gotten in over time?

Polishing has made it look much better, but I need to open and clean inside if possible to make it worth the time polishing all of it...

Thanx

Rob in VA

1991 Reatta Red Coupe

I never saw the need to take any of mine apart to clean the inside. I used a spar varnish and really "woke" up the looks of the taillight. If you use the search button on the top of this page using "Spar" and my handle [or Dashmaster] you will see what I mean.

Thanx for the info Dave.

Problem with mine is that small gaps forrmed in the area between the plastic housing and and the (rubber?) seal around the outer edge near the corners where the rain/etc. runoff would come down from the trunk surround over the taillight.  After 8 years of sitting in a rather wooded neighborhood, junk just built up in the lens interio via the cracks/gaps.  Just trying to see if it can be cleaned out even remotely easily.

Rob

Not easily but carefully. The two pieces are bonded together with I believe butyl rubber. You can warm it up with heat gun or blow dryer and with the use of a pry tool seperate the two pieces apart. A number of us have extra tail lights [myself included] so if you break it you can get another.

Kevin M,

That’s similar, I’ve had it sitting in the garage drying out for a while, so the water is gone, but it looks like that was what was happening, as well as a bunch of dirt and old pieces of leaves and such that have migrated in there overtime. Just trying to figure out if there’s anyway to get in and clean it versus buying a whole new assembly, and then sealing the cracks in the top where the water is entering.

• Like 1