1917 Ford Model T Speedster

Bubbledoc

Hi to all,

Great site, some really good discussions.  Could you please help shed some light on how this vehicle was built?  I found it online and the only information available about it is that it's a 1917 Ford Model T Speedster.  What components do you think were used in it's fabrication?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

47aedc49ba03e6062f8f262b070aff8c.jpg

1917-ford-model-t-speedster-12909.jpg

• Like 1

I’m guessing mostly T. Wheels are late T wires on a 26-7 large drum axle, radiator looks like a Willys Whippet to me, the lights could be Ford or any number of similar ones, that gas tank looks like it was an air compressor once, the steering box could be anything but the column is Ford and the steering wheel is as well but on upside down. Lots of good work lowering it, and the body & hood might be homemade with the hood louvers going into the footwell. Fun looking car!

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses so far.  Any guesses as to the frame, radiator shell, seat shell would be greatly appreciated.

I love some of the speedsters you've all posted on here, especially the ALF's, but this build has such a simplistic and diminutive design in comparison that I just love.  Does anyone have any more pictures of it, or any similar builds they'd like to share?

I've uploaded 2 higher resolution versions of the original pictures if that helps.

Thanks,

Brian

normal_1917_Ford_Speedster-19687.jpg

normal_1917_Ford_Speedster-19688.jpg

• Like 1

It almost looks like I can see a piece of a shifter for a Ruckstell underdrive in the rear end.  Split wishbones both front and back makes me wonder what is under the hood.  The hood is longer by half again than a stock hood.  The stretch does make for nicer lines on this car!  I can see the knob of a shift handle so maybe it's for the Ruckstell or maybe it has a different transmission in it?  I don't see any of the mechanical brake linkage so it likely has been converted to hydraulics, (not a bad change for the sake of safety).  Now that I look at the front/side view, the pan hanging under the car does not look Model T to me.  The outboard brake handle  might be the shifter for the Ruckstell?  I can't make out the possibility of a brake and clutch pedal, can someone lighten up the picture of the cockpit?

Al

Is it just me or do the brake drums and rear radius rods just look off?  Not to nit pick but why run '14 gas lights with late 20's wheels and radiator?  Without seeing better pictures I would guess that someone dropped an A driveline into a T complete with upgraded juice brakes (note lack of brake rods), even the steering wheel looks more A with the rubber missing from the spider.  Then built the body, for lowering a massive T dropped front axle and a Z is my best guess.

Personally I think the builder did a beautiful job on the body but should have forgone the brass in favor of nickel or chromes and called it a 20 something.