Distributor Mount

jord

It would probably be difficult to install a distributer with an offset tab 180 degrees out

but I can almost guarantee that there is a gear that the tab inserts into possibly on an oil pump that is driven off of the camshaft that can be installed to make the timing 180 degrees + or - off.  More information on the car would be helpful. 

The problem first originated 20 years ago, purchased it from a well known vendor and installed it after Ford rebuilt the engine. Have only 10 hours + or - on the engine. At the time it would not start so I removed the distributor and did a manual setting then it ran This time a very good friend timed it and I saw the video showing the correct setting while on a  dwell machine. This I know is fine. Now it won't start, checked the high tension lines all are ok and still new. Not sure if I wan't to mess with the dist. again. Purchased new plugs today and will install them tomorrow ,just looking for idea's. It's getting gas and as a rebuilt carb. The first time I thought the dist. was out 180 degrees

Edited by jord (see edit history)

Well, let me throw in what I can, have played with these HV12 since 1965. I always look fo the SIMPLEST things 1st!!   That dist. cannot be mounted

wrong on the  front of the engine. If you place it on wrong and tighten down , you will crack the housing.  Check all connections from ignition switch

to step down resistors under the dash. Not only for tightnest , but  clean the ring connectors  at the end of each wire. When you pull on or switch ignition switch,

do you get voltage all the way to the coil?  GENTLY! remove coil, and check the condition of the 2 small carbon  brushes and springs. Are the 2 ign. feed

wires going thru the conduit to the coil in good condition? When replacing the plugs ,check the gap, even though they are new. Used new  plug gaskets.

just a few things to check. I spent 33 years as a telephone installer/ repairman  and chasing troubles the same----battery & ground, battery & ground--Larry

Larry has answered the question about installing the distributor 180 degrees out, you also asked about the rotor, it has a flat spot on the inside that fits onto the distributor shaft so it cannot be installed upside down.

What year car are you working on? Do you have spark at the plugs?

Thanks everyone, Changing all the plugs with proper gap and she started right off. Guess I had severely flooded the engine, this showed up with wet plugs and black soot. Next I will set up carb again with a vacuum gauge. You are right check the simplest things first.

11 hours ago, abelincoln said:

Of course it is possible to install distributor 180 out.  Don't ask how I know.  If you look closely, one end of the tang that fits in the camshaft is bigger than the other.  Make sure these line up.

Abe

My experience has been the same as Larry's. If you try to tighten the distributor with the timing anything but correct, you will crack the housing. At 180 out and the tang in the camshaft, one or more of the bolt holes do not line up.