Hupmobile 20 Hill Climb

MochetVelo

I just read a Sept/Oct 1997 article in the HCCA Gazette about the "Dead Horse Hill Climb" in Worcester, MA. This is a rather steep hill that apparently defeated a number of cars (and horses) long ago. The first hill climb occurred there in 1905. The cars got a 200-foot slight downhill run to build up speed, then a one-mile haul up an 842.2 ft grade. The 1905 timed race hosted 70 cars and 10,000 spectators. Only four cars did not finish. The 1997 contest was also for brass-era cars. The rule was the driver and a 90lb+ passenger (one guy had a big dog). Fifty-eight cars entered with times from 1.0097 minutes (a 1908 Stanley) to 7.2991 minutes (1904 Curved Dash Olds). The fastest internal combustion car was a 1911 Simplex at 1.2569 minutes.

My interest here was in the two Hupmobile Model 20 cars entered. The fastest, a 1910 roadster driven by John Kendrick, made 1.5321 minutes: the 16th fastest on the course. It beat out Stevens-Duryea, Speedwell, EMF, Cadillacs, a Rambler 54, plus many others. The second Hupp 20 (another 1910, driven by Andrew Wilsack) made 4.0290 minutes. I would sure like to look under the hood of the Kendrick Hupp.

Phil

I'd be looking in the gearbox and the rear end, too!  The problem with a Hupp 20 on any hill is that low is too low, high is too high....there needs to be an intermediate gear.

They came from the factory with one of two rear ends, 3.50 or 4.00.  3.50 for flat land cars, 4.00 for cars in hilly country.