So in a previous thread  we were talking about oil pressure and it was suggested mine was to high. Was running up around 60-75 cold and sat around 50 when travelling along warmed up. I changed the oil to a lighter weight with no real change in the pressure. Not totally familiar with these old girls yet and a lot to learn I turned to the book of information looking for a pressure relief valve somewhere. I knew where the 4 cylinder one was but not the 6. So once I found it I wound it back a little took it up to 20mph and eventually got it to sit right on 30psi after a few attempts. Sits on around 15 at idle and up to around 45 up in the higher rev range. I hope there has been no damage done driving it around with oil pressure that high as that’s how it was when I got it. 

I actually think it’s running a bit nicer but could be my imagination. 

Just  want to say thanks for pointing me in the rite direction. 

• Like 3

Good news.  I assume your engine has the screw off cover (like a large domed acorn nut) that gives access to the relief valve.  Did yours have a gasket?  If not, did you get any leakage around the cover when you had the higher oil pressure.  My car has the same problem and I got some noticeable leakage from the cover when I first started her up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taylormade said:

Good news.  I assume your engine has the screw off cover (like a large domed acorn nut) that gives access to the relief valve.  Did yours have a gasket?  If not, did you get any leakage around the cover when you had the higher oil pressure.  My car has the same problem and I got some noticeable leakage from the cover when I first started her up.

Yes that’s correct that’s the one. It looks like it had an aluminium washer there. I left it as it was and no oil leak before but I’ll have a look this morning it may of created a leak. 

That is better! More like what it should be. Very well done.

• Like 1