jdshott

1937 brake line routing from master cylinder to front tee?

Pontiac Flathead Enthusiasts:

I have a 1937 6-cylinder two-door touring sedan (body style 2611).  I have lost some photos and can no longer remember how the brake line runs from the master cylinder to the tee attached to the front cross member.

Does anyone have a photo showing the routing of this line?

Am I correct that it comes out the front (rather than downward) connection to the master cylinder, makes an approximate 2" jog to the left to reach the inside of the frame and avoid the steering box, then goes through the two holes in the front cross member and finally makes a 90 degree upward turn to connect to the tee that connects to the front two wheel cylinders.

Thanks for your consideration.

John

Hi John,

I've got pix at home, I'm at public library right now, of my '37 6-cyl. 4-door touring sedan if that will do.    I'll look them up tonight.   I'm pretty sure you're correct about the lines travel but I'll double check tonight and add some pix tomorrow.

Paul

Paul:

That should be exactly what I need.  Mine is a 6-cyl 2-door touring sedan, but I expect that they are identical in this regard.  The line that I took out has so many kinks and bends, that I can't determine which are original and which are not.  While mine will be only a runner ... not a show car ... I'm trying to do things as accurately as possible. 

I appreciate the help,

John

p.s. If you need any more accurate measurements off the "tray portion" of the battery box, I can easily get those for you.

John,

I hear ya.   I'm doing the same thing that is to put the '37 back on the road, as close to original as I can get, as
a runner, not a show car.   Some pix here are the original pix I took before cleaning things up before restoration.
  I replaced my original steel brake line with a copper/nickel line since it can be bent with your hands without
tools and was a whole lot easier to bend to the original curves.  I took out the steel lines and just matched the
curves on the workbench before installation.   Worked quite well.    I've added text to some of the pix but I'm
sure you can figure it out without the text.

If I can help I'll answer any questions you have.  If you need any pix in the future I'll be happy to pass on
anything I've done in the way of maintaining original specs. and what things look like before or after cleaning.  
 I usually take pix of things before and after so I can remember how they go back together.

Just a quick question here, did your '37 have an original cover for the timing mark access hole?

If you can take some measurements of the battery tray I'd appreciate it.  I only need these three in the last pix.

Paul

Bare Wire.jpg

Brake_Line_Toward_Front_Orginal.jpg

Engine Oil Pan Removed 1.jpg

Front_Brake_Line_Junction_Installed.jpg

Generator-Starter-Regulator 2.jpg

Rear Brake Light Switch wires.jpg

Battery Tray Sizes.PNG

Paul:

I have just creaated a new topic called "1937 Timing Hole Cover" and uploaded a few images.  Based on what I know, I have a metal timing hole cover that was not actually used until about 1941 and later rather than what I believe to be a proper rubber timing hole cover.

Thanks,

John