What Color is This. ??

Bill Harmatuk

Thanks, everyone.

I've found a great guy that paints a lot of motorcycles and collector cars..... (classics..... I hate the phrase too) and he also owns an automotive paint store that supplies smaller shops, to paint the Chrysler CJ. I'm doing some investigation, into the color, so it will be easier for both of us when we sit down at the table.

Auto Color Library is a good reference point but I can't seem to get it to pull up the paint chips anymore.

They must sell a lot of paint in spite of their selves. Not user friendly. I need to SEE the paint. Something other than an 80 year old page from a book.

Thanks everyone.

I posted on the Forum General, instead of Chrysler General,to get more exposure to members opinions.

Bill H

I can appreciate you wanting to get the color right the first time, re the color samples in an 80 year old page from a book - most color chips I have ever seen were 1 inch high by about 2 1/2inch long strips on pages or heavy card stock with several colors offered for a particular make on one sheet or card. In the late 1920s thru about 1934 Acme issued a set of color ships on card stock that were about 4 inches by 2 1/2 inches and told what they decided to call the color on the back along with the year and name of the brand of car. This is not something you see to often to refer to or even look at and people like myself who have them do not send off samples in the mail to borrow and then return. Scanning a sample is ok but can have mixed accurate results; the real item made when the cars were new and not faded are the true color of what the cars were painted. It will not be easy to get exactly what you feel you need to get the color mixed you want. You are looking at an 80+ year old vehicle.

For those who seek true color scanning I have found that Epson makes the best color scanner . The School of Visual Arts in N.Y. City uses Epson equipment as well and they are a arts college and seek the very best equipment available.

• Like 1