speedometer and cable

budd28

While working on my 23-45 Buick touring I removed the stewart warner speedometer and cable. My question is who is a reputable shop to repair the head unit, or if anybody has one for sale. Also my cable happens to be broken at the transmission. It's the last link before going into the transmission, would also need one of those or a shop that can repair what I have. Thanks Budd Lacy

I had a similar issue with a broken link.

I removed the broken link down at the transmission end and shortened the housing the same amount (the whole housing and cable was too long already).  Removed the housing end cap, trimmed the housing length and reinstalled the end cap.  Perfect.

Housing was full of frozen grease so clean it and the chain and repack with white grease.  Guessing old frozen grease was part of the failure mode.

The speedo had a stripped gear which I rebuilt with JB Weld and a small set of files.

Today I use a high tech bicycle speedo with lots of functions.  They even come wireless now. Or your smartphone can do the same.

Fixing the whole deal was sort of a personal challenge.  After I proved I could fix it, I disconnected it.  Rather noisy affair.

• Like 1

Russ Furstnow is the fellow you want to get in contact with for Antique Speedometer units, parts, and service.  He is the absolute best in the business - and he did not pay me to say that!  He is located in Flagstaff, Arizona.  His contact information is as follows  -  Russ Furstnow, 3545 West Kiltie Loop, Flagstaff, Arizona, 86001.  His phone number is - (928) 526-1343.  His email address is - 1stnow@msn.com   He is at Chickasha every year with his display of available units.  What you see in the photo is only a small fraction of his stock.  Hope this will be of some help to everyone out there.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P3170004.JPG

Edited by Terry Wiegand
ADDED MATERIAL (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

I usually hate to drag a post up from this far in the past, but I think it is valid for anyone who might want to have Russ do work on their speedometer.

I just spoke with him regarding a speedo for one of my vehicles, and there is a critical address change since @Terry Wiegand made his post. Perhaps this has been updated elsewhere, but I found this post using Google, so who knows who might also see it.

Russ' mailing address has changed to:

Russ Furstnow

3545 West Kiltie Loop

Flagstaff, AZ 86005

If you try to send something to the 86001 ZIP code, he will not receive it!

Happy Motoring,

Rusty Berg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The speedometer chain will be full of hardened grease in the housing. Grease hardens in 5 years, I don't care if it's white grease lithium grease or synthetic grease. All grease is a mixture of soap and oil. The oil evaporates in 5 years and the whole thing turns to soap. The only grease that lasts 10000 years is Vaseline. Use pure Vaseline to lubricate the chain.

On 1/27/2019 at 3:07 PM, budd28 said:

While working on my 23-45 Buick touring I removed the stewart warner speedometer and cable. My question is who is a reputable shop to repair the head unit, or if anybody has one for sale. Also my cable happens to be broken at the transmission. It's the last link before going into the transmission, would also need one of those or a shop that can repair what I have. Thanks Budd Lacy

The last link before the transmission isn't really a link it looks like this. Not sure about 1923 but for mine (1917-18) it was the same as this:

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/product.htm?pid=980677&cat=41903