Buick paper ads

Elpad

• 2 weeks later...

This ad from 1937 appeared in the souvenir program for the annual Fireman's Day for the Inc. Village of Floral Park, Long Island , NY  which is located just west of Belmont Park horse race track . I have been the official appointed Historian for the village for two decades ( NY state requires a appointed historian for incorporated villages it is a state law) . My family has resided in Floral Park for 96 years. I drive around town in my 1940 Buick Roadmaster conv. sedan and the Mayor and Trustees still put up with me - amazing.

1937BUICKadvertFlPk001.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

I found this in the 1988 Buick Marketing Manual..... appears to be intended as an ad.

Interesting and rare option ...the Regal offered the 4 - seater option for a short time

4 B1B.jpg

Following the Rivera's four seat personal luxury car.  Has anyone seen one in person. Or did this never make it into production?   Riviera took their clues from Ford's 1958 'Square Bird' Thunderbird.  Corvette and Thunderbird were two seat personal luxury cars, what four seat cars were the first?

I have seen 2 maybe 3 at various Buick events.... the Buick information indicates it could be ordered on either 2 or 4 door Regals but I have never seen a 4 door.

If the vehicle is original,  there is a decal on the rear side windows the says "four seater"   The limited reference material I have shows the option available from 1988 to 1993.

4 codeB1B.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 8:38 PM, RivNut said:

Following the Rivera's four seat personal luxury car.  Has anyone seen one in person.

There was one in my area several years ago.  I was surprised when I saw it.  It was a 2 dr and looked pretty sporty!  Unfortunately the 88 was equipped with the 2.8 engine which I had previously  found to be weak in the main bearings, so I kept on moving past it.   Would have been great with a 3800 ...  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, MrEarl said:

1BC34EB2-837C-4C16-9E8D-E245943DA9DB.thumb.jpeg.282e67602de09dcbfa495531a1e7720e.jpeg

Note the artist, Ken Ebert,  doesn't mention in the text the "first "Riviera" in the far background, a '49 Roadmaster Riviera, the year the Riviera name was first used. I have seen this Ken Ebert print as a poster also and would not mind having one.

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

I wonder why no Pontiac was shown?  Do you think that GM is showing you which "class" of people each brand appeals to by the characters pictured with each brand?

GM was certainly all about setting up a class hierarchy in those days, which is why it's unusual to see an ad which implied that Cad, Buick and Olds were all similar.  But when you think about it, there was a pretty clear line separating these top three brands from the bottom two, Pontiac and Chevy, so it makes sense to me that Pontiac was not included.

As far as the "class" of people shown, again it seems unusual to me that GM would momentarily drop the idea that there was a definite difference moving up the chain between Olds, Buick, and Cadillac.  But the people in this ad all look to be from the same general group of prosperous-looking upper middle class folks.  It's interesting that there are no children, no "family" scenes -- it's all about the adults doing stuff without their kids.  I think this would be in contrast to Pontiac and Chevy ads which would more likely show the whole family.

And one of the most surprising things -- no white walls!  It makes the cars look a bit odd compared to the restored versions we're all used to seeing.  Were white wall tires unavailable because of the Korean War?

10 hours ago, neil morse said:

GM was certainly all about setting up a class hierarchy in those days, which is why it's unusual to see an ad which implied that Cad, Buick and Olds were all similar.  But when you think about it, there was a pretty clear line separating these top three brands from the bottom two, Pontiac and Chevy, so it makes sense to me that Pontiac was not included.

As far as the "class" of people shown, again it seems unusual to me that GM would momentarily drop the idea that there was a definite difference moving up the chain between Olds, Buick, and Cadillac.  But the people in this ad all look to be from the same general group of prosperous-looking upper middle class folks.  It's interesting that there are no children, no "family" scenes -- it's all about the adults doing stuff without their kids.  I think this would be in contrast to Pontiac and Chevy ads which would more likely show the whole family.

And one of the most surprising things -- no white walls!  It makes the cars look a bit odd compared to the restored versions we're all used to seeing.  Were white wall tires unavailable because of the Korean War?

White wall matters

• 2 weeks later...