Your Future, will you fit?

Pfeil

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

For me you just explained why the Railroads should be hauling more long haul loads. Trucks have taken over the interstate highways. The average semi truck can haul about 20-25 tons of cargo. Total truck weight can be no more than 40 tons.  One rail car can haul up to 100 tons. In my area, Tennessee, the average freight train is about 100 cars. That means that one train could take 400 semi trucks off the highways to haul the same amount of cargo across country relieving congestion on our highway systems.

The trucking industry always had a better lobby presence than rail.  Rail needs a boost for sure, it would be great to see less trucks on the road.

• Like 1

If Whitehead was on to something, why didn’t he continue with it?  Seems odd he would just give up with no further development.  Looks like North Carolina will have to give their license plate inventory to Connecticut if we go with Whitehead.  

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

5 hours ago, TerryB said:

Remember it was George Eastman that gave us the ability to take simple photos with the most basic of cameras.  His vision for photography was similar to Henry Ford’s version of what an automobile for the general public should look like.

Did you know until the movie camera was invented no one could prove a horse in full gallop had all 4 feet off the ground at the same time! 

Just a bit about true hores power.

Have fun

Dave S 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Did you know until the movie camera was invented no one could prove a horse in full gallop had all 4 feet off the ground at the same time! 

Have fun

Dave S 

That wasn't done with a movie camera but with a number of cameras setup along a track and triggered by the passage of the horse. The concept was a big leap from existing technology but the other innovation was being able to take a high speed photo rather than the usual for the time long exposure. Look up Eadweard Muybridge and his work with Leland Stanford.

28 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Have fun

Dave S 

I guess that means the first manned flight was the ballistic flight achieved by some  guy ( a distant ancestor of mine) astride his trusty steed at full gallop.  The flight of the horse, although quite brief, was also the first STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) aircraft.  This means that it's time for all of you Whitehead and Wright proponents to just hang it up. 

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

If Whitehead was on to something, why didn’t he continue with it?  Seems odd he would just give up with no further development.  Looks like North Carolina will have to give their license plate inventory to Connecticut if we go with Whitehead.  

There is an involved story about the Wright Brothers and the donation of their Flyer to the Smithsonian. Fine tuning or correcting history isn't worth the trouble, somewhat like the Viking map to North America. 

Bob 

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

For me you just explained why the Railroads should be hauling more long haul loads. Trucks have taken over the interstate highways. The average semi truck can haul about 20-25 tons of cargo. Total truck weight can be no more than 40 tons.  One rail car can haul up to 100 tons. In my area, Tennessee, the average freight train is about 100 cars. That means that one train could take 400 semi trucks off the highways to haul the same amount of cargo across country relieving congestion on our highway systems.

That is hardly news.

I have known for years that trucking is about 3 × what rail is.

Truck freight is 15.6 cents per ton-mile, versus 5.1 cents for rail to be exact.

Ever hear of intermodal transport?

The point is ALL of it is NOT hauled by rail and even if it was electric semis are still a pipe dream except for short hauls.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:41 PM, Dave Fields said:

Government is forcing EVs on people. The subsidized market is very very limited. EVs are handouts for the rich and famous; those who never pay their fair share. There is almost no demand for automobiles in the USA because of government meddling. People are buying trucks and anything that legally classifies as a truck because of California's meddling in the auto industry. Remember, I teach this stuff at the graduate level. Hey, Peter, come to El Paso and debate me. 

Dave, my electric car wont make it that far. :)

• Haha 2

Funny to hear about cars made for the rich and famous when a 1970 Superbird was listed on the for sale portion of this forum for $385,000.  You have to be rich and famous to afford that one or the V16 Cadillac that’s on the plus side of $300,000.  The auto trade and the auto hobby are made up of people from all walks of life and with all types of income.  Saying electric cars are the toys of the rich almost sounds like the comments made about automobile owners at the beginning of the 20th century.  Some were rich while others saw them as the future of transportation.

10 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Funny to hear about cars made for the rich and famous when a 1970 Superbird was listed on the for sale portion of this forum for $385,000.  You have to be rich and famous to afford that one or the V16 Cadillac that’s on the plus side of $300,000.  The auto trade and the auto hobby are made up of people from all walks of life and with all types of income.  Saying electric cars are the toys of the rich almost sounds like the comments made about automobile owners at the beginning of the 20th century.  Some were rich while others saw them as the future of transportation.

Apples & oranges, what is a Tesla  retail value worth five miles down the road from the dealership, or any new car or truck for that matter. Bob 

8 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Apples & oranges, what is a Tesla  retail value worth five miles down the road from the dealership, or any new car or truck for that matter. Bob 

The point I’m razing is the old car hobby is often considered a plaything for the rich and famous when it is not.  It’s for everyone with an interest.  Owning an electric car does not infer the owner is a member of the rich and famous club.  I’ve met a few owners who just see it as a good fit for them.  They were at a lecture on technology advancement and lived at a local retirement community.  Definitely not rich and famous people.

• Like 1

I should add they owned Nissan Leaf electric cars.  My former supervisor bought a plug in Preius as her daily commute was short and in town.  Lots of reason for alternative propulsion, not just another toy in the toy box.

6 hours ago, TerryB said:

I should add they owned Nissan Leaf electric cars.  My former supervisor bought a plug in Preius as her daily commute was short and in town.  Lots of reason for alternative propulsion, not just another toy in the toy box.

I just wish Nissan would bring out a electric version of the Versa with the range of a Lief, and while their at it bring out a  in town commuter like their old Hyper Mini. Trouble is, that won't happen because all maker are doing away with sedans even though they cheat the wind better than SUV's. 

Worst case, I will build a still and open up the pulse width. Brazil does very well on alky and Florida is ideal for Sugar Beets, Sweet Sorrgham, and Sugar Cane.

I have mostly MS and Android products but do have a Chrome Book and a Mac Pro with MS Office on it. Playing with an Acer notebook and Tech2Win.

Apple: the computer for people who do not like computers.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:16 AM, John348 said:

I am sorry I did not make that point to embarrass anyone, I too never use my phone for the internet. My point was that everyone will embrace the technology they feel comfortable with. I don't think any of us here, feel or see the need to buy a refrigerator to send us a picture of it's contents to know if I need milk or something else, on the other side it would be safe to say that there are just as many younger then us who think it is great!.

Hey John, no worries on the embarrassment. I'm proud to say I have a 20+ year old Verizon flip phone. I can text, but I never do. I can takes pictures, I seldom do. It receives text messages, receives voice mail, tells me the time and date and has a calendar, and it probably has some other stuff which I don't use. It does a great job and does all I need. I have no land line, I carry it when I'm out and use it all the time and It's still on it's original battery.

Speaking of refrigerators; A good friend of mine that's into antique everything, house, car, furniture etc. has a 1952 PHILCO refrigerator that he bought used in 1971 that is still doing it's job in his 1950's antique kitchen. Sometimes when I go over to his house and get the 56 T'Bird out and go for a cruise, afterwards will go back to the house and have a beer and go up to the big loft and run the electric trains. Later the wives will bring up tea and cake. You have no idea how relaxing going back into time can be.    

• Like 3

14 hours ago, padgett said:

. . . Apple: the computer for people who do not like computers.

Actually, Apple Macintoshes were, and I think still are, very popular with software and firmware developers who work on mobile and embedded devices: You can run the MS Office suited required of you by the suits in management but you have a Unix system under the covers that allows you to pretty seamlessly build and run things in the same environment as your target products which all run flavors of Unix nowadays (Linux kernels are in practically everything). The other option taken if management forces you to use a Windows machine is to wipe it an use some Linux distribution like Ubuntu on the box. Integrating with the company's office suite then uses either something like LibreOffice or setting up a virtual machine image running Windows. Granted, I retired from firmware development a few years ago, so it might have changed.

17 hours ago, padgett said:

Apple: the computer for people who do not like computers.

I DISAGREE:   Its more complicated than that.  FYI: I run this forum and i use a Mac as my primary computer. 

https://www.endpointprotector.com/blog/why-macs-have-a-lower-tco-than-windows-computers/

https://www.businessinsider.com/an-ibm-it-guy-macs-are-300-cheaper-to-own-than-windows-2016-10

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-mac-vs-windows-pc-why-i-chose-macbook-2018-3

Lots more like this.

15 minutes ago, Dave Fields said:

Wrong. In the beginning self propelled vehicles were not government subsidised and in fact the formerly Great Britian created laws against self propelled vehicles. 

The government subsidizes farmers in billions of tax dollars, therefore food is only for the rich using that logic. Tax incentives for businesses are part of life.  Many more than just the auto industry get incentives, where do you draw the line?

Instead of complaining, go out and buy a Nissan or a Chevy bolt and take advantage of the offer, it won’t last forever.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

The local natural gas supplier in my area wants 10yrs of low or no taxes as an incentive to move their regional hq to my county.  I get tired of them holding local and state governments hostage and me to pay more in tax just so they don’t have to.  Now don’t fall over Dave but I do believe in a more balanced budget as you mentioned.  The EV incentives are not responsible for generating the lack of balance in the budget as you know well.  Tesla’s incentives are decreasing but Chevy and Nissan are not so you can still take advantage of them if you want for not a lot of out money relatively speaking.

I still believe a collector car for $385,000 is a toy for the rich, but they earned it or inherited money or were better investors than I ever was.  In the EV world I too could be like a rich guy and buy one and get the tax incentives it gives me.  But saying EVs are a rich mans toy is not an accurate statement.  Some people who make millions never pay taxes on it due to their knowledge of tax laws and investing, if you know you can get a new car and a legal tax break too then why not?  Not often the little guy gets deals like that.

5 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

They'll never live to see the pipe dream become reality. 

My concern is there are people in high places that think this stuff up, plus it's in schools too. Plus there never seems to be a counter balance, be it schools, media etc.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1