37 Buick Special

1937 Buick Stromberg Carb With Vacuum Starter Switch

Thank you Matt, Dave and Carl. It is not clear to me regarding your explanation of the issue with my manifold. When you say they cut the studs off. Here are a couple of photos to make the starter switch a little clearer. It seems to be the same as your manifold Carl if I am looking at the right place. Agreed, if need be I would go for a manifold replacement. You are saying that I could not replace the Cold Idle Control Thermostat with a correct one with this manifold?

Thank you,

Dave

Starter Swithc 3.jpg

Starter Switche 1.jpg

Look at the area beside the carburetor on the various manifold photos posted in this discussion. Your manifold was designed for the Delco choke unit that bolted to the intake manifold beside the carburetor. It is not designed for the carburetor with an integral choke that you are using. There are various different intake manifolds and various different carburetors that they were designed to go with.   

• Like 1

Here, I will try and show you with pictures. First picture is Gary's 1937 Buick with an early Delco choke. Notice the studs mounting the choke. Second picture is your manifold. It looks like it had the early Delco mounting studs. Third picture is a 1937 Buick manifold that had the later Delco choke. Notice it did does not have studs and has the fast idle cam in the location of the early Delco choke.

Btw. I just noticed on your starter switch the second hole at the base is suppossed to secure it to the manifold with a bolt.

InkedDelco_LI.jpg

InkedCarb.thumb.jpg.1559d8667915bb6f67486a087ed9ca13_LI.jpg

P2220101.JPG

Edited by 1937-44
Additional observation. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Being machined flat to me indicates that this may have had the BD-1 Marvel at one time as the fast idle cam is on the back side of the manifold. As an addendum about the early Delco choke units. Mine always worked OK but when Gary did his rebuild I thought I would do the same.  After the rebuild I believe it works as it should with no issues.

DSCF6103.thumb.JPG.ab27c2fcc67631b264364cc258db4bd8.JPG   DSCF6104.thumb.JPG.3875b967e725592b8b2d783c161dcac0.JPG

• Like 2

Thank you all. Clear now. For sure the studs have been ground off. Much appreciate you all for your help. Dave Tacheny it is. Yes, I did not secure the back part of the switch as I suspected it was coming off again. With this car it is 2 steps forward and 1 1/2 back. 😵

Thanks again.

• Like 2

Well, one thing after another. Looks like I need to locate an intake manifold for a 37 with vacuum starter port. If anyone has a line on one please let  me know. I checked with Dave and he does not have one but will be on the lookout for one.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

37 - 44 and Mc you are both right. Manifold studs were cut. Was able to find a manifold out here in California. Bob's had one. Was quite surprised. So cleaning it up and painting it for installation. Dave T. didn't have one.

Thank you all for your invaluable advice.

D.

• Like 2