Newbie looking to get my first collectible.

Amberly

Here is a 57 Chevy in your neck of the woods,  but unfortunately needs a bit of a handy man.  If you were, it could be a good deal for the right Person.  

https://augusta.craigslist.org/cto/d/aiken-57-chevy-belair/6810614460.html

This one is listed at 20G and for a car Person might be able to be put on the road in short order. 

Tore down condition. 
All parts included. Was running when bought. In amazing shape. grandpa was going to switch to power steering. 
Come with cash and trailer. 

00F0F_lbSD4wcykcv_600x450.jpg

00p0p_9B5bjw3qSMe_600x450.jpg

01313_bAYzaRfGIUH_600x450.jpg

00707_cP6tjcEixOx_600x450.jpg

A 57 is probably the easiest sell of the 3.  I would imagine they sell for a tad more as well.  Though as you said if you want something you can move easy,  a tri five is probably the one that will appeal to the widest spectrum.  I prefer to sell rarer cars as if you really get a handle on the market,  there are alot of unknown gems out there that will sell for a good chunk above book,  but that's because not enough trade hands for the books to be correct.  Usually requires a little more marketing,  but a real honest car will sell itself because it's pretty much yours or nothing There is alot of competition in 57's.  It's more like a regular used car market. 

I don’t know if you have been keeping your eyes on the cars for sale section but a decent looking mid 60’s Thunderbird Convertible was recently posted that looks like a great car. I don’t know anything more than what is in the ad but have always thought they were under appreciated cars that might be worth looking at...

In 1998, at 56, I decided to purchase my first antique car. I wanted a 20s style with a vertical radiator.  Research highlighted I wanted a 4 door, 6 or 8 cylinder in good condition both cosmetic and mechanical.  Hemmings & Craigs List along with other web sites were used.  I searched over 18 months traveling up to 5 hours to view cars I actually didn’t want.  “You may have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find Prince Charming.”  I was also advised to avoid project cars if I planned to drive it in my life time. I first saw the ad in May, in August when he lowered the asking price, I contacted him to drive it.  Picked it up in October 2000.

I suggest you use Hemmings to select car events to view & sit in cars for sale.  Charlotte has a large car show at the race track.  If your not 100% on the car, wait.  You could miss a car but another will show up.  When you find a great car some distance away, have a local person inspect it for you.  You could use someone from AACA check it out.  The good news is more cars & events will occur as summer arrives.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:08 AM, JACK M said:

Jeepsters are quite simple in design, thus one of the easiest cars to work on that you will ever find.

And there are several parts venders for Willys products.

At twenty grand its a bargain.

Be aware that it will drive like a 65, 70 year old car. (you don't mention the year)  But that's the fun part.

Another thig I noticed is that the links you show are for cars that you will see many of at the local cruise nights.

Some people thrive on that, however I like to be the guy that has something different than everybody else.

I have researched Jeepsters and sold a project to Jack that I want to buy back when he’s done working on it. It does have a following and caught a lot of attention when I had it. (I had it but didn’t drive it). Jack, how fast does the 48 go? What kind of response do you get when you drive it from others? Is it a conversation piece in crowds? I’d imagine it is. Many stopped to see it outside my dad’s garage. I love that thing. 

I also have a Corvair project similar to the one you posted, but a 63 Turbo Convertible. 

We must have similar taste. :)

You will get honest advice here, but remember, buy what speaks to you and take your time. Some like common cars (there are tons of tri-five chevies and mustangs at shows), but it’s so much more fun IMHO to drive something a little unusual like the Corvair or Jeepster. 

These are great guys and will comment on any car you are interested in and help you evaluate the condition. They helped me sell many of my father’s cars.

As for value, we sometimes disagreed and I always stuck to my guns and often got more than was expected when I sold. Point being, value depends on what we each like. Just something to keep in mind that we are all prejudice in our own ways on value. My advice? Watch the rust and get something not messed with as others said. Buy what really speaks to you, even if it’s not a bargain. Then enjoy it!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 8:48 PM, auburnseeker said:

That Sunliner is still available but the dealer that snatched it up after I posted it here, marked it up to 39,500.   That was probably the best deal to get if one wanted to play with old cars and try to make a few bucks along the way. 

It might be overpriced now. I wasn’t thinking my Skyliner was worth that much. To me, it’s priceless, of course. I agree the first post was a deal. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Amberly,

I hope you're making progress deciding what you want, then finding it. My guess is that you will do fine on your own. I was someplace listening to a bluegrass band and went through the February Autabuy. Just for fun, selecting some interesting cars. There's some danger my personal interests cloud my judgement, but I'm just throwing some more cards on the table for you to play. I don't know any of the sellers. These are not necessarily cheap, or under-valued, the best ones listed, or close to where you live, just ones I felt had a lot of intrinsic value:

• 1959 Ford Ranchero p/u, $8,750, 2-tone maroon & white, older restoration, later big block, IL.  p. 167(looks somewhat like the '59 Sunliner you and VictoriaLynn were talking about recently, but a p/u)
  • 1971 International 2WD p/u, $5,600, green, rest. project, body straight, light rust, runs & drives, 345 cu. in. V-8,  NE.     p.167     ($18,300 cheaper than the blue '74 I posted earlier)
  • 1937 Buick Special 2-door Sedan, $15,000 OBO, black, original car, dual sidemounts, straight-8, no rust, KY.    p. 159   (MCHinson said you can't go wrong on a '37)
  • 1940 Buick Limited Ser. 81F Formal Sedan, $32,500, black, divider window, straight-8, restored, rust-free, 248 built, PA.    p.135  

1940 Buick LimitedConnors Motor Car Company photo                    {way over your budget but couldn't resist including the gorgeous picture}

• 1976 Ford Thunderbird, $6,800, red, runs & drives excellent, 460 cu. in., IA      p. 133
  • 1964 Chrysler Imperial convertible, $22,900, white, drives super, IA.       p. 110
  • 1946 Triumph 1800, $11,995, pale yellow, RHD, rumble seat & 2nd windscreen, runs & drives(changes: 100hp TR-3 engine, 4-speed), MO     p. 58      (never heard of a sports car w/ a rumble seat)
  • 1963 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk, $17,950, black, 66K mi., outstanding interior, AT, factory 259 cu. in. V-8 & tach, recent paint, documented survivor, MN.    p. 48  1963 Studebaker Hawk photo: Silver Creek Classics
  • 1956 Desoto Firedome Seville 2-door, $26,998, 2-tone white and pink, hemi, AT, show quality, IL.     p. 40
Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 2 months later...