Amberly

Newbie looking to get my first collectible.

There was this Ford just posted in the for sale section. It sure does look nice with some prominent awards to it having been correctly restored.  It might even be in your neck of the woods. 

• Like 3

Pull the brake drums and check the shoes and drums.

YOU SIR WOULD BE TOSSED OFF MY PROPERTY IN 2 MINUTES!

:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

Pull the brake drums and check the shoes and drums.

YOU SIR WOULD BE TOSSED OFF MY PROPERTY IN 2 MINUTES!

I was kind of thinking the same thing. 

I haven't heard of anyone doing that except an inspection station for state inspection,  but not a private inspection for a car for sale. Besides if the brakes seem to stop the car properly with no pulling, good pedal and  visual inspection of lines, hoses, master you will have a pretty good idea of how the brakes are.  If it later needs shoes, then that's a wear part that's usually not crazy expensive and fairly straightforward on everything but a 50's Mopar.   Most garages could handle that job.  Of all the cars I have done that I can recall in the recent past only one needed shoes (usually they need everything else but shoes) That car was completely worn out from engine on.  I still wonder how they ever got it up hill into the garage after seeing how bad the pistons were worn, rings broken and worn like pebbles as well as every valve not seating. 

• Haha 1

Think I’m going to go take a peak  at my first vehicle this week to get my feet wet.  I won’t buy anything without ya.... To be continued...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/buick/special/2205650.html#&gid=1&pid=10

Anybody have any thoughts about pricing or quality or raise your hand if you think this is a good first purchase 
(assuming it all checks out)? 

I purchased a 1954 Four Door Buick Special not that many years ago for a fraction of that price. It was in similar condition. I don't follow the values of that  era of cars now that I am more interested in 1937-1938 Buicks. The condition of the bright work that I see in the interior of the car as well as the chassis photos would make me think that car is not worth the asking price. It would probably be a decent driver, but I would suggest you scroll down and post this link in the Buick forum where you will get some excellent feedback on the value of that car in that condition. 

6 hours ago, Amberly said:

Anybody have any thoughts about pricing or quality or raise your hand if you think this is a good first purchase 

Some collectors disparage price guides, but I feel they

are useful, especially for cars that are bought and sold fairly often.

Here are a couple of them on the internet:

---https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/search/auto

Hagerty is a respected antique-car insurer and naturally values

cars as part of its business.

---https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Manufacturers?from=classic

In their printed book, they admit their prices are on the high side,

but they say that their valuations are only for all-original cars.

Here is a good book, issued annually by the publishers of

Old Cars Report Price Guide.  (Alternatively, you may find their

magazine-style price guide, issued 6 times a year, on newsstands.).

Their 2019 "Collector Car Price Guide" has been out since last summer:

https://www.krausebooks.com/2019-collector-car-price-guide-r7730?CAWELAID=120243080000007345

I'd estimate that that 1956 Buick Special offered by the dealer is in

#3-minus condition.  It might be #3 if the upholstery were correct, but

the upholstery is wrong.  Also, the paint looks a bit dull or cloudy to me.

#3 condition means a car may look perfect from 20 feet away,

but as you get close, you'll see flaws that are fairly minor--

a few chips in the paint, a little wear on the upholstery, chrome not perfect, etc.

Most cars seen at local car shows are in #3 condition.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I would stay away from the turbo Corvairs and the multiple carburetor models.  Too finicky and not many people are going to know what they need to run right.  I would recommend something more conventional than a Corvair.  The early Ford Falcons and Mercury Comets were well built, simple and conventional powertrains that still today are very easy to get parts for and any mechanically minded person will be able to maintain and repair.  I also suggest these cars because they are relatively small compared to some other collector cars so they’re easy to park and operate on a daily basis.  If someone bumps into you and you need paint and body repair you’re better off with a simple car than something with lots of trim and chrome that could take a long time to find good replacement parts for.  The early 60s cars still have some interesting designs yet have 12 volt electrical with long lasting plastic coated wiring.  If you are considering a 50s car, many were 6 volt with cloth covered wiring which by now is in a state of degradation and can cause big problems.  There’s a lot of build quality considerations to make when deciding which old car will be right for you.  These old cars can develop into bad nightmares for the wrong owners or if you choose wisely they can bring you a state of happiness that only a true car person can understand.

corvair engine comes out with 4 bolts- can be removed from the car in 20 minutes..................

cant say that about too many other cars.

6 hours ago, Amberly said:

Think I’m going to go take a peak  at my first vehicle this week to get my feet wet.  I won’t buy anything without ya.... To be continued...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/buick/special/2205650.html#&gid=1&pid=10

I thought I answered this one before but maybe not.  I would pass on this car.  It looks to be in poor shape,  which you will see when you get there.  The chrome is in poor shape in and out.  I'm betting the paint isn't alot better.  Those jewelry store lights make it look much batter than it is.  The badly cracked plastic also means it was not well taken care of and left out in the elements for years.   The power window switch assembly is out of something else.  That 53 Ford posted in the For sale section  makes this looks like a used car lot refugee in the back row in the early 60's that could be bought for $100 just so they could get rid of it.  

Honestly price wise from what I have seen.  10G. would be alot of money for this car.   Remember the Olds I sent that they were asking 14G for.  Compare the 2.  If the photos look that bad of the Buick,  it's going to look even worse in person. 

What draws you to this car over others?  Just so we can tailor our searches for you. 

• Like 3

If you want a much better Buick, in much better condition, at a much better price from a guy who is well known in the hobby, check out Pete Phillips' ad for a 1954 Century:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

If you want a much better Buick, in much better condition, at a much better price from a guy who is well known in the hobby, check out Pete Phillips' ad for a 1954 Century:

That's a nice car for the money if that's what you are looking for.  10X nicer than the other one.   Nice 50's color scheme as well.   You wouldn't get hurt at that price either down the road.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I thought I answered this one before but maybe not.  I would pass on this car.  It looks to be in poor shape,  which you will see when you get there.

I agree.  Other than the splayed windshield wiper arms (what's with that?), the power windows and the poor fit of the front of the hood, there is something about this car that just doesn't seem right to me.  I know than forming this opinion based only on photographs, is of doubtful validity, but that's just the way it looks to me.

Amberly, let us know how it looks "up close and in person".

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Man, I am glad I reached out to you guys.  

I accidentally put in the wrong link.... I decided to not look at the  56 special.  I am thinking about driving to FL to check out the 53 Ford Vic this week.  Had a good conversation with the guy today.  

However, that link ya’ll just sent about the 54 century model looks appealing.   

Edited by Amberly (see edit history)

Pete is both a forum member, and the editor of the Buick Club of America's monthly magazine, The Bugle. I would venture to say that you could not find a better guy to buy a Buick from. He knows what he is doing and if he restored it and recommends it, I would say you can take that to the bank. Unless the Ford is exactly what you want in perfect condition, closer and cheaper, I would really think that the Buick Century would be the one that I would consider first. You have to pick what you want. I admit that I owned Fords for the first decade or two that I was in the hobby, but I am now exclusively a Buick owner. If you want a 1950's car, you can't do much better than that Century.

• Like 1

Give us a couple more weeks.  We'll have your head spinning with all the possibilities.  

I will say out of literally thousands of Old cars in general I've seen listed,  I only have a handful to present to you,  shows it takes a little diligence and patience to get just the right car.    It's slightly easier if you have a more narrowed search,   but I like to see the overall picture of what's for sale.  You never know when something you never even thought of pops up and just rings all the bells.  Something you would have never found if you were only looking for say a Salmon 57 Belair 2 door hardtop within a 2 hour drive. 

I've always thought the narrow minded missed so many great opportunities in their quest for a certain car,  which they almost never find, because the few exact matches,  never align with their budget. 

Great buys out there on Chrysler's/Desoto's out of the mid 50's. A 55-56 Desoto is a very nice driving car. Chrysler's offer a lot of style for the money. The weak link in 50's cars is the transmissions. Suspensions, brakes, engines and construction of the cars was pretty good by the 50's. The early automatics work fine, when they work. But can cost a lot to be pulled out and rebuilt. I know everyone on here likes original cars. But a 50's car, with an updated transmission is a plus in my book. 

I have had 67 Mustang on the road about 3 years & was redone as a very nice driver.  It has about 134,000 miles with everything new about 3,500 miles ago.  The car is an 289 V8, auto, Factory A/C, PS, new paint, interior carpet, headliner, seats, moter rebuilt & trans.  I plan to put it up for sale when the weather breaks in April.  If interested, PM me.

F8A87000-C9C2-4EDA-B4FD-748C8DFEF742.jpeg

Edited by huptoy
Remove photos (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have kind of avoided sending you any Mustangs,  not that there is anything against them,  It just seemed your interest was really in the 50's flash.  If you want to see Mustangs as well,  I can surely find a few that pass the first muster.   Just let me know.  With Mustangs though you should be able to find one somewhat near you easy enough where as other cars not so much. 

This is kind of interesting if you are leaning more truck than car and want a vehicle you could drive or show without "seeing yourself coming around the corner". At a dealer near St. Louis. 1974, next-to-last year for all International pickups, big 392 V-8.

1974-Other-Makes-200-ton-4x4-Pickup Currently on ebay and listed on Motoexotica. Model 200, 3/4 Ton, 4WD, B.I.N. of $23,900.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

a) thought the Mustang AC compressor was a York

b ) Corvair 140 is not at all finicky if you replace the 4 1bbls with a manifold and quadrajet.

c) If going for something interesting from that era the 215/215 aluminum V8 in a Cutlass is a neat combo particularly with a 4 speed.

d) I like my two Buicks and very undervalued at moment.

If you want to get into the truck world,  there is a whole realm of them available for 20G or less.   It would be different but I suspect might be a bit harder to get out of that one without losing a little money unless it's spectacular.  They aren't super popular.  More of a cult following and the cult isn't huge. 

I noticed there were quite a few for sale in GA as well that seemed very reasonable.  So much I started thinking how could I export a few of these North.