Paint Formula /code for Tiffany Blue copy.

GarageStudios

Members,

lm trying to find a paint code or mix formula for a "close to" match to the famous Tiffany Blue. I have many samples, any actual Tiffany boxes that was taken to a custom repair shop to try and colour match, the scans come up, but the system can't make the formula.. I even tried to get a home paint store to scan, they could but the box formula is for house paint..

i emailed Lamborghini to see if they could help...

some codes are close, but I was wondering if someone would have their code / mix formula to share, so I can get a spray can made to test..

pics are are some of the research I have been doing..

Good afternoon Mr. Schouwstra,

Thank you for reaching out to Automobili Lamborghini and for your interest in our color lineup. The closest color we could find to match “Tiffany Blue” was our color Blu Glauco paint code LAMBOR-0123. I hope this was helpful. Thank you and have a great day.

Best regards,

Roland 

Customer Care America

Automobili Lamborghini America LLC.

2003 Edmund Halley Dr, Reston, VA 20191 

customercareamerica@lamborghini.com

www.lamborghini.com

image.jpg

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by CDN224 (see edit history)

I have a couple of codes for you that are close, but there are some things you should understand as you continue on this quest.  When you're having your color scanned, the computer isn't "making" a formula.  The scanners have taken the place of the old color chip books.  All they are doing is trying to match your color to the closest chip in a database and with that color is a pre-recorded formula.  If there isn't a color in the database close to this, it will pick the closest one and that's what you get.  Colors like this aren't in real high demand for modern collision work, so it's not surprising it didn't come up with a good match.

Also, I have a couple of Tiffany boxes here and even they are a shade different from each other and they may not exactly match the one you have in your possession.

Using a 1950's - 1960's era PPG Ditzler Color Book I see a couple that are close to the box I have here.  The closest is Saturn Blue for a 1957 Chrysler, Color Code V,  DQE-11527-DAL.  The second closest is Tahitian Turquoise for a 1961 Chrysler, Color Code JJ-1, 12273.

The code numbers from this book are only directly relevant for product lines that PPG no longer produces, like Duracryl, etc.  They can't just grab tints for Duracryl of the same name and mix it in Concept for example, it doesn't work that way.  PPG would have to have taken this code in a lab and reworked the formula in the current product of choice for there to be a modern day formula.  You won't know until you ask.  It can be hit and miss.

Your best bet is to find a store where they still have someone that can mix by eye.  Those people can be tough to find, but they are out there.  A good one will keep up with what he's doing, weigh as he goes, and finish with a custom formula that can be replicated again in the future in the same product line should you need more.

What is wrong with the code that Lamborghini provided you?  That is directly translatable to PPG if that is what you intend to use.

Hope this helps.     

Edited by W_Higgins (see edit history)