motoringicons

SOLD: 1930 Cadillac V-16 Fleetwood #4276 Three Window Coupe, an extraordinary and rare example of a great V-16 Cadillac

SOLD to a great new home.

This 1930 Cadillac V-16 Fleetwood #4276 three window coupe was sold new in Chicago.In recent years, this car was owned by musician Neil Young. Young owned the car for a brief time before selling it to a prominent east coast collection where it remained until 2016. The mileage indicated is about 55,000. Upon careful inspection, this mileage appears to be original and accurate.

According to the Cadillac V-16 data base, this car is believed to be one of only about six survivors. Unlike most of the coupes that were built with a straight windshield and a straight lower body sill, this desirable Fleetwood #4276 coupe features a slanted windshield, chrome window reveals  and curved lower body sills or coach sills.  It is probably the best looking and sportiest of all of the Cadillac coupes ever produced. 

This is an extremely original vehicle. It has never been disassembled or restored. Instead, it has always been well cared for and refurbished as needed. Many years ago, the car was repainted in its original color of Botswain blue. The paint certainly shows the expected signs of its age but presents extremely well from all angles. The blue leather upholstery was more recently replaced and looks great. The matching blue rumble seat is likely to have its original material. The polished wood trim in the interior is original and extremely well preserved. This is a great looking car with an extraordinary visual presence.

This car retains all of its original body wood which is rock solid and tight. The doors open and close with authority and the body margins and panel fitment are better than most restored cars. The body wood retains its original stamping marks which match the numbers shown on the original Fleetwood trim tag (body #17) which does not appear to have ever been removed from the firewall. This  has always been a great and honest, car.

Under the hood, this rare V-16 retains its original engine #702246.  The engine bay appears mostly original and, of course, retains all of its proper components such as the original carburetors, vacuum tanks, valley cover, distributor, etc. The car runs and drives well but will likely require some sorting out before any long tours are attempted. The chassis retains much of its original paint. When you crawl underneath this car, you really realize what a good car this is. The underneaths of the doors, fenders, floors etc are just smooth as the tops.

Based on the original build sheet which is attached, this car retains all of its correct components. 

This is a rare opportunity to purchase a correct and proper example of one of the most attractive V-16s ever produced. It is just a great and authentic car from front to back and top to bottom.  It has never been neglected by its past owners or  ruined by improper restoration attempts. It is a fabulous and desirable example of Cadillac's great V-16.

Priced at 385,000.00. 

For more information, additional photos, or to schedule a viewing, please email directly at: motoringicons@hotmail.com or call 734-730-4274. Ann Arbor, MI. Thank you very much.

thumbnail_16A.jpg

16F.jpg

16L.jpg

16B.jpg

16I.jpg

16N.jpg

16O.jpg

16Q.jpg

thumbnail_16T.jpg

thumbnail_16U.jpg

thumbnail_16AH.jpg

thumbnail_16AG.jpg

thumbnail_16X.jpg

thumbnail_16Y.jpg

thumbnail_16R.jpg

thumbnail_16S.jpg

thumbnail_1930CadillacCoupeBuildSheel.png

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 6

A very, very nice automobile. A cut above what you usually see offered today. Someone is going to end up with a great car.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Golly.

If a car costing that much can be a bargain, this might be it.

A roadster in similar condition would run you seven figures. 

Super nice car, incredibly attractive, easy to see it has always having been a decent car, incredibly complete for any 30/31 too, and ....

Was probably even more spectacular in its original "all blues" paint finishes with "blue" undercarriage and ...

Extra equipment listed in "Boatswain blue" on the build sheet was most likely a luggage trunk or sidemount tire covers. 

It has chrome spokes specified, though they were usually stainless spokes with chrome nipples.

Using famous card game terminology - "pick-it-up" 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

I do not know if the price is high or low but it is one of the nicest coupe body styles on the market in a long time I have seen. I like the suicide doors with the slanted windshield and glass visor.  A black lowboy trunk would look nice on the rack.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Take an even trade for a 353 5 passenger coupe???????? LOL

I’d buy this in a minute. Wait, no I can’t. Well I would but my enclosed trailer is only a 20’ so I’ll have to pass. Can’t afford a new trailer!

All joking aside this is a beautiful car. The picture with the open door and plush leather seat just says to you to climb in and take me for a ride. My grandfather was a local businessman who owned a meat market in Dartmouth and New Bedford MA during the depression years. The area back then had quite a few well to do people and he did business with most of them. My aunt has many pictures of him in Caddy’s, Cords, Auburn’s, LaSalles, etc. He actually divorced my grandmother (something unheard of back then) and lived the life of a play boy. When I was a kid he told me that he bought most of those cars because the people who owned them, didn’t know how to live on little money. My grandfather was a Portuguese immigrant that came to the US in 1917 with just his clothes on his back so he built his business up from nothing but hard work. He said simply having cash in his pocket is how he was able to buy most everything. My grandfather would listen to a person complain about not having money and then my GF would say that he really liked his car, how much would he sell it for. Often back then a phrase many would say “ I will only sell this if you have “X” amount of cash right now!”  My grandfather would simply reach in his pocket and take out the cash, and take ownership of a new car. Of course, he kept none of them so they are all gone. He said he never paid over $500 for any car he bought and he, himself complained when he bought a 1968  Olds 98 sedan that he bought new at the dealer. He said he had never paid so much and would never again. It was his last car and he passed in 85’!

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 2

What a great car. I love the sporty lines of this body design. It really screams "hot rod". In my opinion, the curved lower body or coach sill makes it look much sportier than the roadster. And its also a lot rarer. It seems that people are finally starting to realize that some of the best looking Full Classics are not necessarily the convertibles.

Edited by rusty12 (see edit history)

Knowing so little about these cars, but is this a "Madam X"? 

I understood that all Madam X cars had the thin chrome pillars. . . . 

4 hours ago, m-mman said:

Knowing so little about these cars, but is this a "Madam X"? 

I understood that all Madam X cars had the thin chrome pillars. . . . 

Technically YES as this is the same style chrome door frame, though the Madam X styling is more associated with a 4 door sedan.

On 2/3/2019 at 4:52 PM, Barry Brown said:

Is that a clear tinted sun visor? What a great car.

Yes, it is tinted glass and pretty spiffy for time too.

I have one of those glass tinted visors. Thats the first time I have seen  another one on a car. I think mine came off a Pierce Arrow or Packard. Its available

this car was owned by musician Neil Young

He used to be with Crosley, Stutz and Nash.

Seriously, that coupe is about as beautiful as an automobile can be. Best wishes to the seller and the car's future owner.

Thanks everyone for all the great comments about this car. There has certainly been a lot of interest in it.

While I don't know who the original owner was, the original build sheet states to hold for payment from "Herold". I am not sure if this was the original buyer or perhaps the dealer who ordered and sold the car.  I assume the first owner must have been some type of well-off playboy. Who else could  have afforded a sporty, two-passenger coupe in 1930? Or maybe it was a wealthy family man who bought this as his personal car while his family was being chauffeured around town in the seven-passenger sedan? Since it was sold new in Chicago, the original buyer probably thought this was more practical than a roadster as it could be used all year around. I would think that a west coast or southern buyer would have chosen a roadster instead of a coupe. It's fun to hypothesize about these things and wonder about the original who decided to purchased an expensive although somewhat impractical car like this. 

On 2/14/2019 at 11:05 PM, JamesR said:

He used to be with Crosley, Stutz and Nash.

Seriously, that coupe is about as beautiful as an automobile can be. Best wishes to the seller and the car's future owner.

Could that have been: 

"Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young"?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Could that have been: 

"Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young"?

Yes, it was.

An Appliance to Car About - 1939 Crosley

1024px-Stutz_Bearcat.jpeg

1949-1951 Nash Airflyte full view

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

I might argue with it being "extremely original" and "never restored" while having been repainted and reupholstered. Nevertheless, a magnificent automobile.

• Like 1

I remember seeing this coupe at the 1968 AACA Tarpon Springs, FL meet.  When admiring the vehicle and talking to the owner.

I remarked about the running board step plates.  He said he had them custom made to his personal design.  Any possibility

of a pic of the step plates, motoringicons?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Captain Harley-

Thanks for the reply. We are trying to piece together the complete history of this car. Do you know who the owner was when you saw this car at the 1968 AACA meet?

I have wondered about the running board step plates. I knew they were not original  1930 Cadillac but I did not know where they came from or when they were made. Now I know! Thanks for that information and here's a photo:

cp17.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the picture!  I was 17 in 1968 and do not remember his name.  He was a nice distinguished looking gentleman who looked to be in his 70's.  I do remember

him saying he did not like to step on the wood strips on the running boards.  Which is why he had the step plates made. 

• Like 1