FOR SALE First gen AM-FM radios

1965rivgs

If interested please send a PM

$250 to $350 depending on condition

The wife says this has become an "issue". I dont see the problem??...What!?  Thinning out the audio dept....

I also have other radio parts such as knobs, faders, faceplates, etc...also have standard and Wonderbar radios. I have not checked operation of the radios as I have done in the past. I found even when bench testing OK the radios frequently do not perform well in a moving car it terms of holding a signal, volume consistency, etc...so instead of wasting time/money bench testing and potentially disappointing a customer I offer the radios as rebuildable and recommend anyone who wants a fully functional radio have it freshened up with new transistors, cleaning, etc..

Thanks,

Tom.

20190124_131603.jpg

It's a top loader. They put cheesy Teflon strips under the drum as a bearing now. The machine could start walking around your laundry room at any time. DO NOT set the radios on the machine when it is running. They could all fall off.

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

It's a top loader. They put cheesy Teflon strips under the drum as a bearing now. The machine could start walking around your laundry room at any time. DO NOT set the radios on the machine when it is running. They could all fall off.

Its a front loader. I refused to pay a couple hundred dollars for the cheezy plastic pedestals so I built my own from 2 by 2`s and laminated pressboard. I installed locking casters that I had laying around in case of service and to keep the machines from moving. No service yet except for burned out mother board circuity that I couldnt fix with solder and wiring....but I think the dryer is due for drum rollers. Hard to tell because the NOS wheel covers I wash and dry make too much NOiSe. I`ll take the radio advice under advisement, much appreciated....

Does anyone want to buy a radio? Lol...

Tom

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...

The D on your data plate tells you that when the body was being built, it was prepped for the installation of a radio.  Depending on your information source, different radio options were available.  All that I know of for sure are the AM Sonomatic or the AM Wonderbar were available in 1963.  I do not know when an AM/FM became available.

In my ‘90 Riviera I have a Redi-Rad installed.  It’s a unit that has a +12V and a -ground wire, antenna in and an antenna out cables, and a 3mm pin on the end of a lead wire.  It’s about the size of a deck of cards and it’s held in place with a couple of zip ties.  Your AM or AM/FM factory radio works as normal but when you plug the 3mm pin into the device from which you source your music AND set you radio dial to a prescribed station (91.9 FM) the Redi-Rad acts as an antenna interrupter and your music source plays through your factory headset and speakers. Total control based on however your radio is equipped.  The OE radio in my 90 has all the amenities - volume, balance, fade, and an equalizer, etc.

On our trip to Branson a couple of years ago, we listened to SiriusXM all the down and back. Used my cell phone for the SiriusXM feed.  At the show, the 3mm plug wire was tucked out of sight and out of mind.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

On 12/2/2023 at 7:21 AM, 1965rivgs said:

.I still have a nice choice of radios and the appropriate knobs depending on needs. 

Most of these old radios can be restored with a simple capacitor refresh. Need to google the Delco model number to find a schematic in a Sams Photo Fact volume first.

https://m.facebook.com/theschematicman

Or, for considerably more $$$, these old radios are excellent candidates for a Tier-1 "Aurora Design" conversion:

https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-design/home.html

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

The D on your data plate tells you that when the body was being built, it was prepped for the installation of a radio.  Depending on your information source, different radio options were available.  All that I know of for sure are the AM Sonomatic or the AM Wonderbar were available in 1963.  I do not know when an AM/FM became available.

In my ‘90 Riviera I have a Redi-Rad installed.  It’s a unit that has a +12V and a -ground wire, antenna in and an antenna out cables, and a 3mm pin on the end of a lead wire.  It’s about the size of a deck of cards and it’s held in place with a couple of zip ties.  Your AM or AM/FM factory radio works as normal but when you plug the 3mm pin into the device from which you source your music AND set you radio dial to a prescribed station (91.9 FM) the Redi-Rad acts as an antenna interrupter and your music source plays through your factory headset and speakers. Total control based on however your radio is equipped.  The OE radio in my 90 has all the amenities - volume, balance, fade, and an equalizer, etc.

On our trip to Branson a couple of years ago, we listened to SiriusXM all the down and back. Used my cell phone for the SiriusXM feed.  At the show, the 3mm plug wire was tucked out of sight and out of mind.

Okay so an option and I have a D !

I don’t have the original radio and the old aftermarket went in the trash…I like my music so may consider something new as the car is going to be a fair way from originality..

Too early to tell though🤷

53 minutes ago, Dundee said:

Okay so an option and I have a D !

I don’t have the original radio and the old aftermarket went in the trash…I like my music so may consider something new as the car is going to be a fair way from originality..

Too early to tell though🤷

Lots of retro fit newer radios out there.  Just depends on how you want it optioned.

The radio choices and cost for 1963 were:

image.png.49aee45453c5bfc13a003810639daae9.png

RadioOptionsonDealerOrderForm.png.3910855928bb124ed7488e746411c59a.png

FM Radio was new technology in 1963.  Big cities would have 1 or 2 FM stations broadcasting, often playing classical music (because the sound was so much better than on AM radio).  Not too many people would pay for that extra feature.  But if you did, it included an electric antenna.

I have a restored AM-FM radio in my car. I also have a AUX feed jack run into it to play from any source I want, like my phone or an MP3 player. Our radio here in the mountains is poor and drops out a lot. I mostly listen to an MP3 player with the top 100 hits of 1963 on it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

The radio choices and cost for 1963 were:

image.png.49aee45453c5bfc13a003810639daae9.png

RadioOptionsonDealerOrderForm.png.3910855928bb124ed7488e746411c59a.png

FM Radio was new technology in 1963.  Big cities would have 1 or 2 FM stations broadcasting, often playing classical music (because the sound was so much better than on AM radio).  Not too many people would pay for that extra feature.  But if you did, it included an electric antenna.

I have a restored AM-FM radio in my car. I also have a AUX feed jack run into it to play from any source I want, like my phone or an MP3 player. Our radio here in the mountains is poor and drops out a lot. I mostly listen to an MP3 player with the top 100 hits of 1963 on it.

So Jim the plate just has a D without number is that normal?? I have an electric antenna however the body work has seen the hole gone so not sure I want to reinstate it anyway and I am not so interested for radio with too much talk… not my priority in any case. Those prices seem expensive for the day!!

Edited by Dundee (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Dundee said:

So Jim the plate just has a D without number is that normal?? I have an electric antenna however the body work has seen the hole gone so not sure I want to reinstate it anyway and I am not so interested for radio with too much talk… not my priority in any case. Those prices seem expensive for the day!!

Yes, the D on the data plate is all Fisher Body needed to know at the body building stage, so that they would supply a body with an antenna hole in the fender.

The actual radio and the manual or electric antenna was installed later, per the build sheet.

Yes, those prices were high.  That AM-FM radio cost the equivalent of $1712 in 2022 dollars. This was early in the days of fully transistorized radios in cars (instead of radios with vibrators and tubes). They charged a premium for them.

Detroit's business model was to have a "low" base price and then run the proce up with options.  A/C is pretty common now as standard equipment (at least in the USA) but in 1963 it added 10% ($430) to the base price of the Riviera, equal to $4,110 in 2022 money. 

The base price of the '63 Riv today would be $41,440.  This car had no options.  Add things we take for granted today in a "personal luxury car", like electric windows, A/C, power seat, seat belts, drivers side mirror, cruise control, tinted glass, etc. and you would quickly be looking at a car price of $55,000 or more. Plus "tax, title and license".

• Like 2

Jim,

Are you sure about the hole in the fender and the D?  The fenders were not part of the Fisher Body plant build, they came later after the body left Fisher Body.  I’m more inclined to think it had to do with something like a hole in the firewall for the antenna lead.  

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Jim,

Are you sure about the hole in the fender and the D?  The fenders were not part of the Fisher Body plant build, they came later after the body left Fisher Body.  I’m more inclined to think it had to do with something like a hole in the firewall for the antenna lead.  

The character is on  the Fisher Body plate so Fisher would know to install the rear seat speaker.

Tom

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

The character is on  the Fisher Body plate so Fisher would know to install the rear seat speaker.

Tom

That makes better sense than my thoughts for hole for the antenna lead.  Looking at the Data plate stampings for 1964, there is no Fisher Body code for a radio but there is a Fisher Body code for a rear seat speaker.  It all makes sense when you take into consideration the heater/air cond controls for a 63.  

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

That makes better sense than my thoughts for hole for the antenna lead.  Looking at the Data plate stampings for 1964, there is no Fisher Body code for a radio but there is a Fisher Body code for a rear seat speaker.  It all makes sense when you take into consideration the heater/air cond controls for a 63.  

Fisher would not have installed the radio. The code was never to represent radio installation, but signified rear seat speaker installation.

Tom

• Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 11:40 PM, Jim Cannon said:

FM Radio was new technology in 1963.  Big cities would have 1 or 2 FM stations broadcasting,

I think you mean 1930s....😁

Lots of AM/FM home radios were sold from the late 40s onward. Before WWII there was the first FM broadcast band of 42 to 50 MHz. The current 88 to 108 MHz band came onto being in 1946. Lots of Zenith table top Bakelite radios still out there with both FM bands, made between 1946 and 1949. 😉

It is true there was a lull in new FM licenses until stations figured out how to make money on FM broadcasting. Simulcasting ( just feeding both the AM and FM transmitters the same audio) did not increase market share by much. Classical did take off as a reason to use FM because of superior frequency response. In the 70s there were just a handful of AM stations doing full time classical, like WQXR in NYC. In Richmond we had at least 5 FM stations in the 50s. WRVA, WRNL, WTVR, WLEE and WRFK. Of course, what would you expect from the city of the south's first television station.😁

I should have said new technology in cars. There are challenges putting it in a moving 12 volt car compared to in your stationary living room.  And as pointed out by others, really expensive so not a lot of demand.

On 12/4/2023 at 3:42 AM, Chasander said:

I had to use the 65 knobs as the post seemed shorter. 

Last month. I was humming & hawing over a 1st year AM/FM STEREO Delco in a 1966 Coupe deVille at the wreckers.

I spread the word in my circle but, only interested if AM/FM Mono.

Still. I returned to retrieve the radio with proper tools but, too late. Someone hacked it out. Knobs on the stereo had set screws and not interchangeable, the reason for the butchered dash. I now understand why the Mono radio is more desirable.

On 12/5/2023 at 8:39 AM, dr914 said:

I have perfect fit updated front and rear speakers (three way) along with the factory modified am fm radio

Awesome! Are those 1964 knobs or '63?

What mods were done to it? A Conversion?

If a stereo conversion, front/rear 3-way speakers instead of left/right?

very easy and plugs right in, factory 64 am fm (with 64 knobs) radio.  Conversion to high power blue tooth electronic signal seeking, completely stock appearance, front and rear high power three way speakers mounted in the factory positions with factory wiring

DSC03888.JPG.a1a61a491d7a7d2f5bb3998e7077b728.JPGimage.png.8e7b5c27e6c3953742dd6fe939c7ddab.png

5 hours ago, dr914 said:

Conversion to high power blue tooth electronic signal seeking

So, stereo with one channel for the front and the other for the rear.

I could technically do the same since I have a 1964 dashpad in my '63 except for conflict with HVAC Controls. I blocked the speaker grill with a painted corregated plastic panel and mounted an acoustic excitor. Sound quality only good for talk radio.

Rear 3-Way 6X9 belts out the tunes in mono from a 12W Amplifier, no conversion.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 10:21 AM, Jim Cannon said:

Yes, the D on the data plate is all Fisher Body needed to know at the body building stage, so that they would supply a body with an antenna Ihole in the fender.

The actual radio and the manual or electric antenna was installed later, per the build sheet.

Yes, those prices were high.  That AM-FM radio cost the equivalent of $1712 in 2022 dollars. This was early in the days of fully transistorized radios in cars (instead of radios with vibrators and tubes). They charged a premium for them.

Detroit's business model was to have a "low" base price and then run the price up with options.  A/C is pretty common now as standard equipment (at least in the USA) but in 1963 it added 10% ($430) to the base price of the Riviera, equal to $4,110 in 2022 money. 

The base price of the '63 Riv today would be $41,440.  This car had no options.  Add things we take for granted today in a "personal luxury car", like electric windows, A/C, power seat, seat belts, drivers side mirror, cruise control, tinted glass, etc. and you would quickly be looking at a car price of $55,000 or more. Plus "tax, title and license".

Jim is right on (again!)

I have the original dealer invoice from Peacock Buick Inc. in Alexandria, VA.

It shows:

Radio @ $90.30

AC @ $430.00

w/w tires @ $43.32

Custom Seat belts & retainer @ $7.53

Tinted glass @ $43.00

O/S Mirror @ $37.63

Undercoat & Glaze @ $50.00

$713.71 in accessories.