Steam car whistle wanted

• 7 months later...

Hopefully ya found one, as you probably know, whistles on steam cars are not period correct. They wouldn't use anything that would scare horses which was a big issue with the early car, instead opting to use a soft horn or the carriage bell. Of course the temptation nowadays is too great to not add one. I have this little three chime on my Locomobile. I made a linkage so it is controlled by a foot pedal. One brass pedal for the whistle and one for the carriage bell.

-Ron

IMG_1539 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1543 (Small).JPG

Yes I'm aware of that but when you crest a hill in a Stanley with hardly any brakes at 80 MPH the idea is to scare the horses,

cattle ,sheep and little kids, out of the way. How times have changed.

Never had this problem with any of the Locomobile steam cars I've  owned. 😉

John

Mine will run 40 mph, I've done it twice and it was still gaining. Of course it won't maintain that speed, neither will a Stanley maintain 80 mph. Short burst of speed and then slow down and recover. I see people wheezing down the street on their Locomobile, they obviously don't know much about them or their operation. They were the fastest thing on four wheels when they were introduced. Locomobile stated they would run a mile in 90 seconds, that is an average speed of 40. Of course, mile two is a different story. :)

People try to run them on Propane etc, they won't run very well on it. They need straight Kerosene for the heat.

-Ron