PhilAndrews

'51 Chieftain - Getting back to it

7 minutes ago, Summershandy said:

Are you speaking of the interior door lock knobs? I took a pic of a '54 if you'd like. 

The interior pins.

The ones on mine are mismatched and broken.

Phil

I got lucky. Mine were gunked up and looked sun baked but came out better than I thought with a good cleaning.

If it helps.....

IMG_8703.thumb.JPG.5d31bc00683f9d500d56f9f7ce6c142a.JPG

• Thanks 1

I took a coat hanger hook, heated it and bent it to shape by guesswork.

20200701_205102.thumb.jpg.f6318d2eed7e5012d254dc45b67907d1.jpg

Added a length of wire insulation to bring the diameter up and give the pin something to grab to.

20200701_205157.thumb.jpg.242e73b53df1e5a5fb20c64e0573265f.jpg

Test fitted the window frame. That'll work. It goes up and down with a satisfying positive clunk.

Phil

20200701_205414.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhilAndrews said:

Next question.

How does the glass come out? Remove the quarterlight to allow it to tilt outward out of the channels?

Phil

the door glass or the vent window ?

6 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

the door glass or the vent window ?

The door glass, driver's front and passenger rear are fractured and I need to replace them. Thankfully all vent glass is good.

Phil

Edited by PhilAndrews (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, PhilAndrews said:

but I didn't think the Starchief became a thing until '54?

That's what I understand. Thought it was the first year....at least that's what I've been telling everyone!

I just checked my Canadian title and it's TA....way to open the can Phil! LOL

11 hours ago, PhilAndrews said:

The door glass, driver's front and passenger rear are fractured and I need to replace them. Thankfully all vent glass is good.

Phil

you have to remove the door panel, the access panels, unbolt the glass sash channel from the regulator cam track. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhilAndrews said:

Huh. On my title, under "Model", it's listed as "STA", but I didn't think the Starchief became a thing until '54?

Phil

car titles often contain misinformation typed in by a license dept. clerk, i once bought a 1966 GTO that was built in jan-1966, and it was listed as a 1965 model GTO, lol

1 hour ago, pontiac1953 said:

car titles often contain misinformation typed in by a license dept. clerk, i once bought a 1966 GTO that was built in jan-1966, and it was listed as a 1965 model GTO, lol

Yeah, "Lost to the mists of time" is what I had figured. Wire why they couldn't have done symbolic storage for make and model rather than 3 characters, I'll never know.

One of the access panels was already conveniently missing. I need to get a light and mirror to see what's actually happening up there tomorrow.

Phil

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

you have to remove the door panel, the access panels, unbolt the glass sash channel from the regulator cam track. 

Ok. I'll have to try find an exploded diagram so I can understand it better.

Phil

21 hours ago, PhilAndrews said:

Phil

1593784224368934951383571183540.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

1593784224368934951383571183540.jpg

So if I'm seeing this correctly, the regulator arm end sits in the top cam track, crossbar in the upper and lower with a "scissors" action. 

Top cam track attaches to sash channel

Glass sits in sash channel

Glass moves in glass sash panel and division channel

So the way I see that comes out, the sash channel undoes from the top cam track, but surely something's gotta give- the division channel and regulator have to come out, vent out to tilt the glass out of the frame?

Phil

4 hours ago, PhilAndrews said:

So if I'm seeing this correctly, the regulator arm end sits in the top cam track, crossbar in the upper and lower with a "scissors" action. 

Top cam track attaches to sash channel

Glass sits in sash channel

Glass moves in glass sash panel and division channel

So the way I see that comes out, the sash channel undoes from the top cam track, but surely something's gotta give- the division channel and regulator have to come out, vent out to tilt the glass out of the frame?

Phil

with the regulator unattached from the channel, you should lower it all the way down, then turn glass about 90 degrees and lift out of door, i know i had to replace the GTO's driver door glass, didn't bother the vent window at all.

I'm not sure how well it's attached- the glass isn't attached to the sash channel.

I pushed the handle on properly and turned it- the channel attached to the regulator (divider channel) decided to flex. It's probably just thin air and rust at the bottom.

Phil