'51 Chieftain - Adding Miles

5 hours ago, PhilAndrews said:

I had a few instances lately of people getting up real close when I was braking to make a turn

I find the same thing too and actually have to drive accordingly because of it. I also notice that some drivers DO keep a distance maybe because how different the car looks compared to the rest on the road....I also like to believe that other drivers THINK the car is worth big bucks and wouldn't dare collide with it! "Oh, it's only a cracked tail light"....that could cost you $300!

• Like 1

Very much so.

Others seem to see it as just another car on the street, and need that laserbeam of bright red in the corner of their eye to grab their attention off their phone and onto the brake pedal.

Car working area update. I cleaned the last of the hurricane debris from the corners of the workshop, ran circuits for 2 more switches so the outside lights, ceiling fan and workshop lights are switchable independently.

20210206_202730.thumb.jpg.cfcd5d0d3846fea51c89715a01ebe45f.jpg

I put some new lights up over the benches. Now I just need to get some insulation and some ply paneling to put back up on the inside of the roof.

Phil

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PhilAndrews said:

20210207_180932.thumb.jpg.26db1c3523bf0f1cf7807270c7f9f999.jpg

Pretty sunset tonight.

Radiator needs repair again.

Phil

This was a perfect evening to be out and about in southeast Louisiana,

and the Superbowl was not at all exciting-

You made better use of your time

• Like 1

Does anybody have a spare secondary hood latch that fits these cars they want to sell me?

Mine broke yesterday- it's been welded before but had cracked and now the finger plate doesn't move the latch, it makes undoing the hood difficult so I removed it for the time being, but that's not optimal.

Phil

Edited by PhilAndrews
Typo (see edit history)

20210210_205501.thumb.jpg.e25b3d8e9f45c3c92e3d85e552b86efb.jpg

Lifted my radiator out tonight (that makes it sound easy) and took a look at where it's leaking. The old solder looks pretty ropey so I'll get that cleaned up and repaired.

20210210_205931.thumb.jpg.618ee5e2d127335cedc24d36aa8bbed5.jpg

Couple other places had paint bubbling up so I scrubbed those back too and found a few fractures. I'll clean those up and repair those too.

Phil

• Like 1
  • PhilAndrews changed the title to '51 Chieftain - Radiator Repair

Ugly repair that still needs a proper pressure test with soapy water.

20210211_181502.thumb.jpg.2f011617cbe6385c8a7be61b5aa4cf6c.jpg

Heavily loaded because the solder was fighting with the remnants of what was there so I had to bend the top flange out and get it to stick to a larger surface area.

Hopefully that's tight now.

Phil

• Like 1
On 2/8/2021 at 3:26 PM, PhilAndrews said:

Does anybody have a spare secondary hood latch that fits these cars they want to sell me?

Mine broke yesterday- it's been welded before but had cracked and now the finger plate doesn't move the latch, it makes undoing the hood difficult so I removed it for the time being, but that's not optimal.

Phil

Phil,

You may wish to place a WTB (Want to Buy) ad in the General section, as well as exploring if the secondary latch for either a '49-'54 Chevy, Oldsmobile, or Buick may be comparable.

I don't have a Hollander manual, but surely someone on our site would be able to suggest a cross-over.

As you surely know, driving without this safeguard presents potential risk we never want to experience, and as once happened to me.

Hope you are successful in finding a replacement.

• Like 1

Exhaust was blowing at the manifold. Investigated tonight because it's was cold enough to touch. 

Two of the nuts that hold the flange together had fallen off. Oops.

Replaced those and done them up tight. No more leak.

Phil

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, PhilAndrews said:

Exhaust was blowing at the manifold. Investigated tonight because it's was cold enough to touch. 

Two of the nuts that hold the flange together had fallen off. Oops.

Replaced those and done them up tight. No more leak.

Phil

I don't know how many times I went back to those nuts after replacing the gasket. Every time I could get a little more squeeze out of them. I usually check them beginning of cruising season for fun. Same went for hose clamps which incidentally, when I was greasing the front end I noticed the fuel connection under the rad where the rubber meets the steel a little wet....squee-e-eze! 

Anybody want a running when removed (a couple months ago) Oldsmobile Rocket V8? No carburetor but otherwise complete.

Free to collector, local guy I just bumped into had pulled the Rocket and Hydramatic, sold the transmission (was bad) and put the engine up on a stand. Location Larose, LA.

Phil

Edited by PhilAndrews (see edit history)
  • PhilAndrews changed the title to '51 Chieftain - Adding Miles

20210227_090227.thumb.jpg.180c772342885344db7bb7c93e3b24c7.jpg

Took the car for a run this morning. It's nice to have all the gauges working. I've done 1454 miles so far, which is pretty good going, I think.

20210227_114809.thumb.jpg.2f4b72270e7e635457f0f442206e2d8d.jpg

The car was filthy from those miles, the wheels particularly. Gave it a jolly good wash.

20210227_124514.thumb.jpg.67613f3a5f2ff50cde6b9bbde1d1b8af.jpg

Much better. Presentable again.

Phil

• Like 1