5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Just about all of us are clueless as to what it costs to run a show on Motor Trend TV, be honest it is the car channel. If Jay Leno still has his Garage show I don't know what channel covers it, nobody here ever mentions it. The one good restoration show only ran one evening, the Kissel Gold Bug that went on to win its class at Pebble Beach, if that type show could show a full restoration barn find to show field, people would watch. The following day you could complain about what was wrong, but it would be a restoration not a Hot Rod, so the constantly complainers would be happy.

Bob 

Bob,

Good observation! That show about the Kissel was very good and go figure they did not put in a four link suspension, disc brakes or a crate LS motor.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 1/24/2019 at 2:09 PM, padgett said:

Well MotorTrend has just cancelled one of the few shows worth watching, Dan Short and Fantomworks. Maybe it was his dedication to safety rather than monster wheels on lifted truck or  bolt-together creations on an Art Morrison chassis, or comparison of interesting beards. There are a few of us who still use a razor.

BJ I mostly put on DVR and 3X unless something interesting or silly shows up.

This really just leaves Wayne and Chasing Classic Cars though I really have no interest in multi-million dollar barn finds. Are there any  "real" shows left.

His crew has some skilled guys but they do some hacked stuff.  The Ferrari replica his brother-in-law owned looked like crap when they finished it and the hood was a 1/2 inch off in places but they tried to hide it by not showing it from the driver front angle.  He fiberglassed luann 1/4” plywood on the fan shroud on the K/20 pickup to make the gap less between it and the fan.  How about putting the right size fan or fan shroud on?  Awful!

Mark Clayton's Restore Cars series on YouTube is excellent.  I really do not bother with any reality shows with exception of Chasing Classic Cars, and then only if convenient.  

Wheeler Dealers used to be pretty good for tinkerers who like messing with older cars, not to be confused with restoration, but a cool show for what it was.  

I never heard of the show Fantom Works. 

As a retired US Air Force navigator always thought the Phantom Works was Boeing's equivalent to the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works.  

LOL.

• Like 3

Thought he quit over a year ago because the show was interfering too much with real work. MT isn't even selling for $1/mo. Always thought Dan did a good job of delivering safe first and then what the customer wanted. The early WD did too much "repair over rust" but may not have had a choice.

Treat most of the shows as comedies with little relation to reality (e.q. Roadkill and all of its spin-offs (Faster with Finnegan)) others appear to have unlimited credit with RA (I will not use)

One thing confuses me: why do so many on Street Outlaws go up in smoke and have to "pedal" when the use of Traction Control has been mentioned several times ?

26 minutes ago, padgett said:

Thought he quit over a year ago because the show was interfering too much with real work. MT isn't even selling for $1/mo. Always thought Dan did a good job of delivering safe first and then what the customer wanted. The early WD did too much "repair over rust" but may not have had a choice.

Treat most of the shows as comedies with little relation to reality (e.q. Roadkill and all of its spin-offs (Faster with Finnegan)) others appear to have unlimited credit with RA (I will not use)

One thing confuses me: why do so many on Street Outlaws go up in smoke and have to "pedal" when the use of Traction Control has been mentioned several times ?

Sat down to lunch today turned on the TV and Phantom works re-run was on. Some guy brings in a 65 Cadillac conv. and Dan starts talking the customer into putting huge wheels on...…. Switched the channel. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Vila said:

I never heard of the show Fantom Works. 

As a retired US Air Force navigator always thought the Phantom Works was Boeing's equivalent to the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works.  

LOL.

My cousin recently retired from being the head of Boeing’s phantom works. He was considered by his jr. high school teacher as not being college material! Graduated high school to attend UMass Amherst for engineering and the rest is history.

• 4 weeks later...

While recovering from a broken toe, I’ve been watching a lot of TV and have developed a “love/hate” relationship with some of these Motor Trend shows.

I agree with a lot of what is written here about Fantomworks.  Dan is not a restorer.  This was really brought home to me today when I watched a show from 2014 that featured the “restoration” of a ’41 Buick Special Sedanet.  We all know that you can really judge the authenticity of any kind of presentation when you have some familiarity with what’s being presented.  As the owner of a ’41 Super, I’ve gotten pretty familiar with ’41 Buicks in general, and it was just idiotic what he did to this car.

I understand that these “reality” shows have nothing to do with reality, and so I don’t know how much of the set up was fictional.  But the owner supposedly wanted to restore his completely clapped-out rusty old Special because it had belonged to his mother.  Dan told him that it would cost him six figures, but when they were finished he would have “a brand new ’41 Buick.”  The guy said it would be worth every penny because of what the car meant to him.  Apparently he didn't realize that he could have a concours level 100 point Special Sedanet for less than half of what he was going to pay.

The car was total trash.  The body had to have a massive amount of metal work done, and the engine was missing numerous parts.  There was a silly sequence where Dan was on the internet trying to get a donor car with a better engine, and saying things like “This car had a 248 c.i. engine that Buick only made for two years – ’41 and ’42 – so it was nearly impossible to find the parts we needed!”  High drama, but not exactly correct.  He then buys a donor car unseen which supposedly had “excellent” manifolds only to find – guess what? – the manifolds are cracked so he has to ask his engine rebuilder to again accomplish the impossible and repair the cracked manifolds.  The engine is first shown with a single carb, but in the end it has a dual carb set up, so it’s unclear what manifolds he actually used. If he had known about the AACA forums, he could probably have saved himself some time and money!

So after charging the owner a cool $116,000.00, he constructs a car that is neither “fish nor fowl.”  It certainly isn’t an authentic restoration since it has numerous incorrect features, including a new interior that looks like it came from a ‘70’s Datsun.  But is also isn’t the kind of “restomod” that you could get for that kind of money since it has the original suspension and running gear with a 248 straight eight cobbled together from the two he had to work with.  It has a terrible incorrect paint job, and is missing all the stainless trim along the bottom of the rocker panels and skirts.  The dash has the original gauges nicely restored, but the panels are painted instead of engine turned, which pretty much ruins one of the greatest features of a ’41. But this doesn’t stop Dan from raving at the end of the show about what a magnificent job they have done. 

As someone mentioned earlier, it seems that some of the great creations apparently remain in the shop long after they have supposedly been turned over to the “overjoyed” customer.  This Buick is among them – I have seen it in the background on many episodes, and I wondered about it until finally seeing this episode.

fantom_buick1.jpg.b4c3661f85d0e23754ff5bebf2a9bd18.jpg

fantom_buick2.jpg.515d681928be035b3979c6ee72da16ad.jpg

• Like 1

I've seen that episode too and  have seen it sitting in Dan's shop as background candy.  I wondered if the owner didn't or couldn't pay the

$116,000 bill and now Dan owned it via a mechanic's lein.

WOW! You guys are some harsh critics, and I thought I was bad. FW is one of the few car shows I can tolerate. Bitchin rides is ok also. I like to watch the guy with the crazy mustache but way too many commercials. And that monkey guy from Texas, well all I can say about him is that I will never buy a product made by Chrysler/Dodge now. All of the shows need some kind of drama, and I would guess some of the short comings in the show are a direct result. I did not see the episode but it was mentioned that he suggested large wheels on a car, maybe the owner wanted that and they put a spin, who knows? I think Dans FB post is very telling. I am an amateur restorer of which most of the people here would probably dispute, but the reality is that most of us are. I dont think every car needs to be Pebble Beach ready, nor do I think that a car has to have something brass on it to be an antique. Whether or not done to our own standards, factory standards, using correct parts or plywood, at least people are putting these old cars back to use. I see nothing wrong with a 'local cruise car'. In fact I would rather see 100 of them that were restored by an owner in a one car garage, that get driven on a weekly basis than a Duesenburg that arrives and departs in a million dollar Kenworth. The car shows are just that, SHOWS, take them for what they are, entertainment. I too would love to see a show based on This Old House, that would take an entire season and restore one car, but the general public just doesnt have that kind of patience anymore. Not to mention TOH has changed to a point that it too is unwatchable!

Was done once - the Kissel car for Pebble lasted several episodes. The problem is that a 30 minute discovery show has 10 minutes of content, 9 minutes of repeating the content, 10 minutes of commencials. And one minute (seperating commecials, probable an FCC thing) on something totally different.

I generally turn on and pause about an hour before, then just X3 through the commercials (am no longer sick of the volcano, now its the pirates and quicksand. Just what we need.)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I've seen that episode too and  have seen it sitting in Dan's shop as background candy.  I wondered if the owner didn't or couldn't pay the

$116,000 bill and now Dan owned it via a mechanic's lein.

Paul,

I just think the timelines on different episodes overlap and they do a lot of filming at one time . I noticed that on a lot of the shows with shop backdrops

37 minutes ago, padgett said:

Was done once - the Kissel car for Pebble lasted several episodes. The problem is that a 30 minute discovery show has 10 minutes of content, 9 minutes of repeating the content, 10 minutes of commencials. And one minute (seperating commecials, probable an FCC thing) on something totally different.

I generally turn on and pause about an hour before, then just X3 through the commercials (am no longer sick of the volcano, now its the pirates and quicksand. Just what we need.)

The only way to watch ANY tv show nowadays is to DVR it, and speed through the crap.  The only thing I (used to) watch live is sports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
56 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I dont think every car needs to be Pebble Beach ready, nor do I think that a car has to have something brass on it to be an antique. Whether or not done to our own standards, factory standards, using correct parts or plywood, at least people are putting these old cars back to use. I see nothing wrong with a 'local cruise car'. In fact I would rather see 100 of them that were restored by an owner in a one car garage, that get driven on a weekly basis than a Duesenburg that arrives and departs in a million dollar Kenworth.

I agree with what you say, and I generally don't have anything against people doing whatever they want with their cars.  Whatever floats your boat.  I may have come across as a harsh critic of Dan, but my point is that he charged the customer a fortune to create a car that I really don't think could appeal to anyone.  My personal preference is for accurate restoration.  I also think there's a place for modified cars, but come on,  pick one or the other!  To me, Dan's '41 Buick is the worst of all worlds, and yet he couldn't stop raving about how great it was.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Pete O said:

The only way to watch ANY tv show nowadays is to DVR it, and speed through the crap.  The only thing I (used to) watch live is sports.

Baseball starts tonight Pete, can't wait. I have a tough time watching the new format with no fans, however it works better on the radio for me. 

Neil, I am with you. My personal taste is a car that is restored to as original condition, with the exception of safety issues (brakes, lights, etc.). Also, I support anyone that does what they want to their car, whether a restored classic (yes I DO love duesenburgs) restomod, hot rod, even -cough, cough- rat rod.  I dont disparage a car that is over restored or over spent. If that person has deep pockets and gets what he desires, then good. Even at more modest levels, I think that most restorations will be upside down financially anyway. I love all old cars, any make, any condition. Sometimes, and more so lately, these crappy tv shows are all I get to satisfy my itch.

In regards to the buick that fw did, there was a car in the shop that did my motor work. It was a 1940sh chevy 2 door convertible. Honestly, not really my cup of tea, but none the less a very nice car. The shop was putting in the gauges. Car had one of the nicest paint jobs I have seen. Had a modern high h/p motor, all the bells and whistles. NO interior. The shop said the guy had over $100k into it at that point and expected another $15-$20 for interior. Way more than I would ever spend on a hot rod, but Im sure someone was happy with it.

OTOH Dan tried to advise the Buick guy not to do it but the customer wanted.

Also have to listen between the lines but he seems to charge about $80/hour for labor.

My price point is a lot lower (couple of orders of magnitude) and think there are some incredible bargains in interesting cars these days but are some who just do not care.

One of the things I like about FW is the hour count they post. When I see that I figured $100 hr to get a rough idea of how much was spent. And, yes all above my pay grade. Guess that why I do my own work! AND it takes forever!!

Thats the good thing about having spares & your own cars, can take waaay too long. Recall Dan saying he stopped the show because it was taking too much time.

I have never seen the FW show. But I have seen a couple of the completed cars. No need to ever watch the show, or recommend the shop.

I will say the hourly charge for a city shop is not outrageous.  Not all shops can be out in cheap land cheap territory areas.😉  But to charge the same for low skilled and high skilled labor is another subject, unrelated to current FW discussion....🤔

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)