1939bcoupe

39 coupe trunk problem

First I want to thank all who helped me with my transmission problem. 

I need help again, my trunk lid is VERY hard to raise.  I have  springs on either side of the trunk brackets, not sure if they were installed correctly and maybe they are in backwards.  But I can't imagine it came from the factory this difficult to raise the trunk lid.  The average women could definitely not raise the trunk lid.  I've search both 38 and 39 shop manuals and there is nothing re: the trunk.  I'm wondering if it would be easier to raise the trunk if I removed the springs.  Any thoughts out there?

Frank

Springs?  My car (sedan) has no springs.  Maybe yours is supposed to because it’s a coupe?  I’ve just never seen springs on a 1939 trunk.

If you are thinking the springs are installed backwards, open the trunk and make sure the stays latch - you do have 2, right? I have a 1940 that has 2. Anyhow, remove the 2 small bolts holding one of the stays to the lid. If the springs are correct it will remain in place and will take some effort to lower into the closed position. If they are in backwards (I am not sure if that's possible, have to look) the stay will want to snap down into the closed position and will take effort to keep in the open attitude.

Cheers, Dave

5 hours ago, 1939bcoupe said:

First I want to thank all who helped me with my transmission problem. 

I need help again, my trunk lid is VERY hard to raise.  I have  springs on either side of the trunk brackets, not sure if they were installed correctly and maybe they are in backwards.  But I can't imagine it came from the factory this difficult to raise the trunk lid.  The average women could definitely not raise the trunk lid.  I've search both 38 and 39 shop manuals and there is nothing re: the trunk.  I'm wondering if it would be easier to raise the trunk if I removed the springs.  Any thoughts out there?

Frank

Sounds like maybe the trunk supports are binding when they are supposed to slide one part inside the other. Slight bending maybe? I guess I would disconnect and have a broomstick handy as a temporary prop to check resistance sans supports. One support each side for coupe. The large coiled spring at the bottom is supposed to help with weight of lid when opening or closing.

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)

Google Fisher Body Manual for 1939-1940 - page 60 & 61 have some info on the trunk lid mechanism.  The Old Car Manual Project has many of these manuals on-line.

Both round springs are in place behind the lower supports. but they don't help in support of lid.  I'm hoping for a close up pic to see if they are on wrong or backwards.  They are   hooked on the front side. 

Checked out the Fisher Manual, thank you for that suggestion.  The picture in the manual is the spring I'm talking about.  However it does not show or talk about how it is attach behind the bracket.  For some reason mind is working in the opposite way in which it is intended.

When I lift up the trunk lid all the way, the springs are compressed tightly.  Does that sound right?

A Spring ?... my 38 Coupe has also  no springs...,only the Supports.

I put one of these  out because of too much weight and also a (for me) not necessarily mechanism where i must work again while lift the Lid.

Frank, you can post a Pic from your mounted Springs ?...I'm interested in this..

By the way, the Lid is heavy by it's own Weight...my wife can't open it too... 😉

• Like 1

No springs? Interesting. My '38 46S has levers with ssprings that perfectly counterweight the trunk lid. It will stay put in any location and is easy to open.

Here are photos of the spring porteon.

The Roadmaster just has a support slide with no counter weight mechanism.

DSC_6009.JPG

DSC_6008.JPG

Thanks for the pics, I'll be taking mine apart today.  Maybe my springs are broken.  Or problem with the hinges.

I doubt there is a hinge problem. They are really simple and robust. The hinge pins are about 3/8" diameter and the length of the lid provides a lot of leverage.

No hinge problem, I loosened them a little and they are not the problem. I unhooked the brace at the top with trunk open.  It slammed towards the ground.  I believe it should have worked to keep the lid up not down.  So the spring is working to close the trunk not open it.  Somehow it is working in reverse as it should.

The spring is loaded to keep the trunk open. You should not be working against the spring at all. Mine takes no effort at all to open the trunk.

Perhaps the spring units need to be swapped side to side.

When the arms are bolted to the body and not the lid they want to spring upward with quite a bit of force.

I'll go photograph the positioning of the spring end of the arms

Here is a photo of the spring end of the arm with the trunk open.

I forgot to mention that there is a latching mechanism that will hold the lid open. To close I lift the lid a bit and then it will cflose slowly by its own weight. It doesnt drop or slam violently.

DSC_6468.JPG

Hoorah,  problem solved, I switched the supports which reversed the spring action.  Life is good.  Thanks for all your help.  The  latching mechanism works on one side only.  Small little piece inside that sticks out of small hole on slider is gone.  May have to get new support.  Do you know of any available.  It  would be for the driver side. It does matter which side for spring to work properly.  Thanks again!

Frank

• Like 2

Glad to help.

I cant help on that part. Dave Tacheny would be a probable source of that part.

I need to look at my support and learn more about this.  I would love my decklid to have some support.  It’s all muscle up and holding it on the way down so it doesn’t slam.  Can anyone confirm if a 4 door 40 series should have a spring?  (I only have one support arm with the open lockout).