Sign in to follow this  
DM 1990TC

1990 TC emergency brake

I recently replaced both  rear brake calipers on my 1990 Chrysler Maserati TC  with  rebuilt calipers . Both calipers were missing emergency brake piston assembly. Brakes work fine. Emergency brake not usable.  Does anyone have any suggestions were I can locate a source to purchase missing piston assemblies or modify existing calipers to use emergency brake?

Dennis/Fort Collins CO

I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about. When the calipers were rebuilt they didn't put the e-brake levers back on?

Sorry for the confusion. When calipers were rebuilt they (the re-builders) apparently failed to install the (piston assembly) e-brake levers. That's what got me wondering if the missing levers (pistons) were not included as part of the rebuild were they being sold separately or if did they forgot to include(pistons) in the rebuild.

Calipers came from TC Parts. I have Andy January looking into this for me.

Weird:  TC parts should have what you need as all they have is TC parts. At least that what their name implies.

3 hours ago, marty14 said:

Weird:  TC parts should have what you need as all they have is TC parts. At least that what their name implies.

I really don't think it is that weird marty14. After all, TC Parts is not a re-builder. They sell used parts taken off scrapped TCs. If TC Parts had the calipers re-built by someone, maybe that person left some parts off.

It certainly is not the same a buying re-built calipers from a reputable re-builder such as A1Cardone, a NAPA parts store or the like. The owner of the car is seriously trying to get help here. Going WOW isn't cutting it.

He wrote the following; "When calipers were rebuilt they (the re-builders) apparently failed to install the (piston assembly) e-brake levers. That's what got me wondering if the missing levers (pistons) were not included as part of the rebuild were they being sold separately or if did they forgot to include(pistons) in the rebuild."

I merely told him that he got the calipers from the wrong place.

So DM 1990TC, go to a recognized Auto Parts Store and seek your calipers there.

I know for a fact that if re-built calipers are no longer available, A1Cardone can re-build a set of used ones as long as nothing is broken and they are complete.

I have had brake parts re-built by them for much older cars than yours.

It's a "parking brake", not an "emergency brake".  Sorry, I had to add this, I used to be an engineer at a company that produced "parking brake assemblies"...and that is the 1st thing they teach you in Park Brake 101 class...

3 hours ago, iceman8147 said:

It's a "parking brake", not an "emergency brake".  Sorry, I had to add this, I used to be an engineer at a company that produced "parking brake assemblies"...and that is the 1st thing they teach you in Park Brake 101 class...

ICEMAN, you're correct. However if the service brakes on any front wheel drive car were to fail, applying the "emergency brake", though it would help, would lock the rear wheels, possibly put the car into a spin and also be quite ineffective in slowing the car in time to avoid a collision. 

Having said that, I wonder how many people have driven their car while the "parking brake" was still applied?