Oct Bugle Cover

Skyking and Joe are absolutely right. The page design dictated the position of subject car. The "lead in" type concerning features is usually positioned on the "face" of the cover so that it takes you continue into the following pages. This is not the first time that the photo has needed to be flopped to correctly layout photos and type. You all have probably noticed that there are some of the 10,000 members that look for absolutely anything to complain about.

Some people may look for any excuse to complain but if you look at pg 4, the top photo of Greg Field and Jeff Brashares, the caption is cut off mid sentence. I think it is the repeated quality/accuracy/spelling/grammer problems with the Bugle that have many upset.

Larry

Guest Skyking

Being a printer myself for more than 34 years, I didn't even pick up on that flopped photo. But on the other hand, let the photos be out of register (where the 4 colors fit one another) I'll pick up on it in a heartbeat........ shocked.gifshocked.gifmad.gif

Challenge for you all that continue to find things wrong with the BUGLE, find the best monthly publication of similar type, and send the editor/printer information to the BCA Office for inclusion in the bidding next year!

By the way, the BUGLE received the Golden Quill Award again this year from Old Cars Weekly!

Guest Skyking

QUESTION?????? WHY DON'T CERTAIN PEOPLE REGISTER????????????????????????This is only a discussion. We are not looking for another printer.........

The contract with Baker Press expires next year, so the Board of Directors has decided to go out for competetive quotes for editor and printing, just good business, to check to see if you are getting the bang for the buck!

I'm sure this will spur some more comments, please register/login before commenting. THANKS!

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Joe,

Norb is NOT looking too hard at the pictures. Anybody with a high school eductaion can get that right.

Geez, the mistake is on the cover! Last month they spelled "Buick" wrong in one of the articles!

Skyking,

Yes we are looking on a new printer!

Scott Mich

Riv 2x4's statement ...

"I think it is the repeated quality/accuracy/spelling/grammer problems with the Bugle that have many upset."

I'm surprised someone who'd write a sentence like that would notice any "GRAMMER" mistakes.

LOL

I would like to be part of the bidding process. Am not a current BCA member crazy.gif but do hold membership to the unofficial sister organization, the ROA. Please send me an issue that would exemplify the work you'de like to endeavor, if possible. I work with perhaps the foremost commercial/financial printer in our country and would do my best to offer the best possible pricing, and highest possible quality and meet your deadlines! Please contact me through personal email. hows that for an unsolicited, grovelly plug! Steve

I,m not trying to find fault with the printer,Being a strange person I just try to find strange things.I think they are doing a great job.Complain about me instead. I have tried to register with no luck so far. Drove by the Buick site yesterday,just many piles of steel,concrete & sheet metal.Every pound is weighed before the trucks go out.Most of it will be recycled. Norb Burwell, Flint

I run a printing outfit. We don't print high quality work that is required for the cover of the Bugle. I would expect no excuses for the error on the cover!!! Comercial printers supposedly have a higher standard of quality and you pay more. Flipping the image to wrong reading is a rookie error.

Guest Skyking

Has anyone consided that maybe it was flopped on purpose to fit the front cover layout. Maybe someone made that decision and we are blaming the printer. I didn't sturdy the front cover when I recieved my copy. I opened the inside to see the winners. I'm sure if I was running that page on my press I would have noticed it on my make-ready and questioned it.

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I would not worry about Riv2x4's statement.

The probem is that we are paying to have our Bugle printed.

We are paying somebody to do a professional job. It is assumed that these people are professional and qualified.

They are paid to typeset, layout, spell check, check grammar, and present a nice layout and design.

Everyday people like myself, and many other forum posters, are not schooled in all that. The Bugle editor/printer

should be!!!

I know how and why Baker and Snowden were installed, and like myself, I think this is also why people are upset

with them.

I can only hope this time when they get a few bids, that they get references, and compare apples to apples.

Scott Mich

Guest Skyking

Now this is really starting to sound like a political issue. Compared to the previous printer the BCA used, I think Baker is doing a fine job....

Good grief, some of you need a different hobby.

It's a little magazine--is it killing you that a negative got flopped? I mean really, are you losing sleep at night. Is it just ruining your entire week?

I've been doing national car mags since '96: past Editor of Mopar Muscle, tech editor for Super Rod, Street Rod Builder and all of Buckaroo's other publications, and my wife was the art director for Corvette Fever, Mustang Monthly, Musclecar Review and Kit Car. Most likely the negative got layed down on the scanner wrong side up, was scanned, imported into Quark and layed out. The text was then layed out accordingly. I sincerely doubt an art director would take it upon themselves to reverse the image of a car so the words can be layed out in a certain way. And it isn't the printer's job to look over the stuff--they print what they're sent.

Sure, it should have been caught, but oh well--stuff happens. Yeah, it's too bad it happened on the cover, but it happens. It's even more frequent on a layout, where the image goes across two pages instead of just one. It was a mistake. Big deal. How many "big" mags such as Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc. get printed with the car moving, the tires spinning, the background blurred but no driver in the moving car? It happens. On the cover. Check last month's Mopar Muscle if you'd like an example (I personally always checked the liscense plates and the steering wheel when I had to approve a layout.)

Here's my perspective: it's a nicely done club magazine that gives club members their 15 minutes by showing their cars and articles. It's got a nice classified section that helps us all out. If you think you can do better, then do it. Apply for the job. Fit it in to your busy schedule (I'm guessing the position doesn't pay much, so you'll have to keep your day job as well). Put out the best damn club magazine ever. And if you don't get the job because you aren't even remotely qualified, go ahead and start your own club and newsletter.

Otherwise, sit back, chill out, smile that "the pros" let one slip by, and try to enjoy the hobby.

Brad Ocock

'54 Buick Special

'56 Chevy

'57 Chevy 2-dr 150 wagon

(lost my password)

I haven't received my Oct. Bugle yet, but I saw someone else's copy Friday. I thought the color photos of the cars were superb--nicely presented, well organized, and high quality. I was extremely disappointed, however, that the two pages of black and white photos of the national meet had no captions whatsoever. Included among these was what is probably the last photo ever made of Club Founder Greg Field sitting in the front row of the Board meeting and participating in the discussion. But unless you were there, or unless you can recognize him from the photo, you'll never get that information from that magazine. This was a disappointment.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Ector, Texas

Solving the big mystery... yes its true the photo on the cover of the October Buick Bugle was flipped for layout and design reasons. This is something that is done all the time. Error on our part, we neglected to go back and make the tires black walls. Hidden copy on page 4... (welcome to the world of electronics) one minute the copy is there, then a correction or embedded command enters the picture and the copy is gone. Oh its still there you just can't see it. It's hidden behind a window. I should have caught this error on the blue line before it went to film.

Do these errors make me non-professional and incompetent? There are some out ther that would say yes. To them I say this, each month I receive literally thousands of pieces of Buick information from hundreds of Buick enthusiast. This information comes to me in dozens of different forms. Each month I take all this information and attempt to present it to the BCA Members in an organized, attractive, and informative format.

Robert Snowden, editor Buick Bugle

Bob, please don't take my previous post personal. I think you are doing a great job with the bugle. Being a printer I know what these commercial shops make and the level of quality expected, that error could have been caught by the printer. As far as what you are doing I think its great!!! Sorry if I offended you in anyway.