Ford Utes

mercman from oz

As is common knowledge, Ford Australia offered a Coupe Ute in 1934. It wasn't until 1957 when Ford of USA offered a similar constructed vehicle.

Ford's 1934 Ford Coupe Ute is claimed to be the first Ute constructed with integral cab and body, as you can see is the attached photos of this Barn Fresh exhibit in a Museum.

However, back in 1931, Ford in the USA offered a Model A Deluxe Ute, as depicted here.

While the body appears to be attached to the cab, can anyone advise if it was indeed attached, or whether it was separate?

If it is indeed attached, that means that the Australian 1934 Ford Coupe Ute was not the first of this body style.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

1931 Ford Model A Deluxe Ute.JPG

u2.JPG

4103618722_081ce58f09_b.jpg

That’s the 66-A body style, the prototype was made for General Electric to display refrigerators at a convention.  Then they decided to offer them to the public but only sold around 300.  They are just a regular 82B cab with smooth box panels riveted on.  Not a one piece stamping like the utes and later Rancheros that used station wagon quarter panels.

The rails on the bed sides of the blue pickup make it look almost like a funeral flower car.  I wonder if any of the 300 made (per Modeleh above) were ever used as a flower car?  Whatever it was used for, it was certainly a nice looking old truck.

Cheers,

Grog

2 hours ago, capngrog said:

The rails on the bed sides of the blue pickup make it look almost like a funeral flower car.  I wonder if any of the 300 made (per Modeleh above) were ever used as a flower car?  Whatever it was used for, it was certainly a nice looking old truck.

Cheers,

Grog

General Electric liked it well enough to order a fleet for use as refrigerator delivery/service trucks.  So Ford ordered 325 bodies from Briggs.  Apparently, the public wasn't impressed as they bought only 99, leading Ford to cancel the Briggs contract.  Total production was 293 - presumably the GE contract accounted for the other 194.

I suppose one could have been used as a flower car but they were rare from the outset, especially in private hands.  Further, pickups weren't the status symbols in the 30s like they are now - quite the opposite if anything.  If an undertaker was flush enough to afford a dedicated flower car, I suspect he would have opted for something classier than a Ford pickup, even a snazzy Deluxe one.

BTW, there also was a larger version of the Deluxe Pickup built on the AA truck chassis and called the Service Car, often equipped with a wrecker boom.

41 minutes ago, mercman from oz said:

You mean like this one that is on display at Gilmores, Hickory Corner, Michigan.

Yep.  Or like this one I posted on your FordBarn thread - it's on display at the Elliott Museum, Stuart, FL.

525734841_31ServiceCar.jpg.15d7fa9600497a5fdbf223c0f6e94f71.jpg

By the way, Ford Australia produced this Model A Roadster Ute back in 1930. Notice that the rear body section is part of the body, not a bolted on unit.

This was the beginning of the Utes in Australia. Ford Australia produced the roadster Utes from 1930 to 1938 inclusive.

Then in 1934, they added the Coupe Ute in addition to the Roadster Ute.

Utilities, or Utes as we call them were offered each year until 1959 when the carried over 1958 model was the last of the Utes based on the full size USA Fords.

Then, the Aussie Utes changed direction and future Utes were based on the Falcons, the last of which was manufactured in 2016 when Ford Australia ceased manufacturing all together, a sad day indeed.

DSC_2457.jpg

Here is a picture of an original unrestored 1932 Ford Roadster Ute. Note how the rear sides form part of the body.

This is how all Australian Ford Utes were manufactured until the release of the AU Falcon Ute, which came with a separate rear body that was removable.

Unfortunately, this 1932 Ute was cut up to create a Coupe using Volkswagen doors.

The finished product was not a pretty sight, but that was a long time ago when vehicles like this were practically worth nothing.

Had it been a sedan, chances are that it would have ended up as a Stock Car, with the interior full of roll bars.

1932 Ford Roadster Ute.jpg

Compare the top photo of this made-up 1934 Ford Coupe Ute with the photo of the genuine one in the Museum in my earlier Post. While it might look a picture, don't be deceived. This recreated 1934 Ford Ute was made from cutting up a 1933 Ford Sedan for a send off gift for long time retiring Ford Designer, Lew Bandt. It originally started out as a 1933 Ford Ute, but after a bad accident when Lew was unfortunately killed, it was donated back to Ford by Lew's Widow. Ford then commissioned the Ute to get repaired, and during the process, it was changed from a 1933 model to a 1934 model. Since then, it has been widely used in advertising new Ford products, especially Utes.
While it might look pretty in these Promo Shots by Ford, it is in fact a disaster, and nothing like the genuine article.
It still retains Sedan doors, when the Coupes and Coupe Utes had differently styled moldings on the doors. The rear side windows are a completely different shape. It is very sad that Ford Australia continue to promote this mess as a genuine 1934 Ford Coupe Ute. A scale model has been made of it, as Ford Australia told the model makers that it was the genuine thing. It has also been featured on Australian Stamps and Coins, both of which continue promoting this myth as the genuine article.

2014_02_26_ford_ute_80th_anniversary_06.jpg

Lew Bandt Ute 1.jpg

Here is a great picture of what would be the absolute best 1934 Ford Coupe Ute in Australia. I know that it has hot rodded, but the sheet metal, fit and finish is 100%. an absolute credit to the Owner Rob. This is what the genuine 1934 Ford Coupe Utes should look like, not the Ute that Ford Australia is promoting as a genuine 1934 Ford Coupe Ute. Compare this Ute with the pictures above of this hideous creation made from a 1933 Ford Sedan.

20180404_112945.jpg

General Motors of Canada built Chevrolet "utes" in 1928. I was once told that they were originally built to be used as go-for trucks around the Oshawa assembly plant. There are still a few around. Perhaps someone on here knows more about them.

Jim

1928 Chevrolet roadster pickup.jpg

Regarding That 'Barn Fresh' in the second photo in the first post.

Let me ask you down under guys, Is there anything like this kicking around down there that would be available?

And if so how difficult would it be to buy and ship to the US?

I'm not interested in junk but something within my vision might be fun.

Here are pictures of yet another 1934 Ford Coupe Ute that was rescued from a property out west. As you can see, these old Utes were really worked very hard, carrying heavy loads and driving on mainly unsealed roads. They were used until they just wore out, and were then left. A mate found this one is turning it into a street rod, as many of the original parts like running gear and interior was missing. Nevertheless, it will be saved. Enjoy the photos.

Matt's34.Cpe.Ute.2.jpg

Matt's34.Cpe.Ute.4.jpg

Matt's34.Cpe.Ute.3.jpg

Regarding 1934 Ford Utes, they were offered in two body styles. This one is the Well-Type Ute, as it has Side Boards. When new, the Well-Type was very popular with builders, as they could carry long lengths of material, It was not uncommon to see a steel carrier attached to the front bumper with the same profile as the rear side. That way, builders could carry lengths longer than the vehicle, however, access to the passenger door was restricted. this restored Well-Type shows the different style rear body. These days, the Straight Side is the more desirable, and it is not unusual to see the owner convert his Well-Type for a Straight Side look. Both body styles were also available in Roadster Ute form up until 1938.

1934 Ford V8 Coupe Ute 2.jpg

1934 Ford V8 Coupe Ute 12.jpg

MAOK, Thanks for the compliment. I have had a life long interest in old Fords and have 1000's of photos of same stored in my External Hard Drive. Pity that they didn't introduce Digital Photography earlier, as I have thousands of colour slides that need to be scanned and converted to Digital, so that I can share them. Regards Mercman <><

That 1956 Ford Mainline at Hershey was priced at $7450.  Whoever took it to the States made a mistake, as they bring more than that in Australia How they expected to make a profit when the shipping cost to get it overseas to be added on to the original purchase price. The 1955 Ford Mainline pictured is presently for sale in Australia for $17,000. See what I mean? They are worth more money than that in Australia. Now, you might think that an Aussie should buy the one seen at Hershey and bring it back home. The cost of this would be totally unrealistic. While it was easy to ship the car from Australia to the USA, bringing it back home would be another matter altogether. Australia has a ruling that you cannot import Asbestos. To prepare this Ute for shipment back home,. firstly, you would have to remove all brake linings. Then you would have to remove the motor so that you could remove the Clutch Plate. Then the Head Gaskets, and Exhaust Gaskets, and you get the picture. You guys in the USA don't know how well off you are when it comes to old cars. You have such a variety to choose from, and mostly would be in better condition to what you would find here.

1956 Ford Mainline - Hershey- $7450.JPG

1955 Ford Mainline - $17,000.JPG