57 Torque Tube Paint/Finishes

Smartin

While cleaning off the scuzz from the torque tube on my Roadmaster, I discovered some factory paint stripes that might be of interest to some.  I also see that there is not a trace of any black paint on it at all.  Contrary to what I have always believed...

What I haven't seen yet, is if I can find any trace of black paint on the rear end or long strut arms that run diagonally from the wheels to the center of the torque tube.  In my haste to clean the parts up, I mistakenly blasted the short part of tube clean, losing any bare metal appearance that could have been preserved.  Nonetheless, I think I will still paint all of these parts black to protect them, but I will recreate the paint stripes I have found.  The darker stripe is a straight blue, but it appears very dark or black in the photos.  One of the stripes appears to be half red and half yellow.  If the tube was cleaner, like had no rust, I would try to preserve the bare metal appearance.

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

• Like 1

One option is to simply thoroughly degrease it, and paint over it (rust included) with por-15 clear.  Unlike other products, this actually does stop and seal rust.  It's susceptible to uv rays without a topcoat, but being under the car that shouldn't be such an issue.

• Like 1

How about treating the rust with some etching acid, like "New Metal" or  even white vinegar?  Maybe etch the entire tube, repaint the stripes and then clear coat the entire unit.  Worse that could happen is it doesn't look right but since it would be etched, a light sanding and then it could be painted black to cover it all up. 

Duplicolor Bumper Coating (FB106 Gray Bumper) over etching primer is the closest  I have found to mimic the look of bare steel.  Locally available and very durable.

Oh, and thanks for jumping in and getting a diagnosis...saves us from all the endless speculation and "I think", "I don't think" (kinda like cable news :().

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lancemb said:

One option is to simply thoroughly degrease it, and paint over it (rust included) with por-15 clear.  Unlike other products, this actually does stop and seal rust.  It's susceptible to uv rays without a topcoat, but being under the car that shouldn't be such an issue.

Very useful information, noted , thanks 

1 hour ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Very useful information, noted , thanks 

No problem!  I hope to have the rear end out of my coupe I'm restoring in the next couple months.  If it still has prominent factory markings on it as Smartin's does after cleaning, this is what I'm going to do (clear coat it).  If it is heavily rusted, I may try to remove a good portion of it first chemically.  If it just doesn't merit preservation, I may just paint it black.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

19 hours ago, old-tank said:

(...nobody will see it...)

Maybe a squirrel. 😲

20 hours ago, Smartin said:

Damn now you guys are going to make me scrub all the nasty undercoating off the entire rear end 🤣

I had but a little bit of undercoating.  Most of my grime was years of dirt built up on grease and oil.   I left the axle as it was.   Made no sense as no one would see it and my 60 is a survivor.  Was going to keep that survivor theme alive.       

My '60 Electra has quite a few things that aren't correct including the overdone torque tube and rearend. I got a second place trophy at an AACA meet once, but I had to send them 35 bucks to get it. The trophy had been sitting on my dresser next to the bowl I keep my watches in.

Maybe there is a motivational thing in me that hasn't blossomed yet.

Bernie

1 hour ago, Smartin said:

I considered that...if the car was original I definitely would have gone with no refinishing.  Since it's been painted and interior is redone, I decided just to "over-do" it.  Never heard of anyone getting docked points for having a black rear/torque tube.

I would do the same in this circumstance.  I would try to re-create the factory color marks.  I know no one would see it.  But knowing myself, I would sleep better at night knowing I attempted to keep it as if new from the factory. 

Keep us posted on the repairs!  Threads like this are invaluable for other running into the same problems looking for solutions to a repair.        

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Martin ... just get some Poor Boys wheel paste and apply 3 coats as directed  to the tube and whatever other exposed metal you have ... it will keep the metal protected from rusting and does not wash off very easily ... clears sprayed over bare metal is really a non performer idea as the clear to adhere long term needs a binder to bond to such as a primer or top coat otherwise you will get adhesion problems down the road .  So here's a few photos of my 

factory original torque tube taken from a post I published here about 5 or 6 years ago .... not painted from factory with original assembly line markings .....

DSCF0741.thumb.JPG.c4471882ea92ba8aed405a55d0658471.JPGDSCF0737.thumb.JPG.9291af8d5d53eecd064a72ab312b108b.JPGDSCF0736.thumb.JPG.7b752365d00ad15d554d9440992fce66.JPGDSCF0743.thumb.JPG.2e6a40051876b52ac5b26bac08f60456.JPGDSCF0733.thumb.JPG.7d5bba12976f59128d33523fc61956e8.JPGDSCF0732.thumb.JPG.e975611941f98b3a39e8b365cf764aac.JPG19260464_CoupeFrame30.thumb.JPG.8d2fb3c8e4cfeb52508526d7186c3227.JPG

1218050147_PoorBoysWheelSealent.thumb.jpg.a542789b39e8232258a492ed97443dca.jpg

Edited by buick man (see edit history)
  • Like 3

That's my plan for the carrier is to do a re primer/brown color that closely matches what is on there now.  I went ahead and painted the tube and rear black for protection and uniformity, but I did recreate the stripes.  I'll paint the large white brush stroke on the bottom of the pumpkin as well.  The rest of the underside is virtually untouched...so it's not winning any beauty pageants any time soon.

Thanks for the detailed photos.  They add a lot to this thread.