Sign in to follow this  
crowvet

1965 Riviera popping lower door hinge

Hello, The drivers side lower door hinge on my car pops when opening and closing. It sounds like the spring popping. I have tried lubricating with no success. I sprayed the area with purple clean to clean out the door jamb. The noise stopped for a couple days. I cleaned the hinge with a alcohol based brake cleaner and re-lubed it. The noise is still there. Any ideas short of replacing the hinge? It works well, just pops  

If you try picking up the door by the handle, does it have any vertical play in it? I'm thinking it might be a broken hinge pin bushing. If it's the bushing, they're relatively easy to replace, and cost just a few bucks.

1 hour ago, jsgun said:

If you try picking up the door by the handle, does it have any vertical play in it? I'm thinking it might be a broken hinge pin bushing. If it's the bushing, they're relatively easy to replace, and cost just a few bucks.

Good point.  I've replaced a number of these bushings not because they're broken but simply because they are 50+ years old.  The bushings wear and if they've been neglected too long, the actual hinge may get some wear.  But, new bushings and new pins will fix everything.  I think I got my last set from an O'Reilly's or a NAPA.  Pretty common, not anything unique to the Riviera.

the hinge rebuild kits with pins and bushings and springs work GREAT.  was going to post a picture of a kit, but forgot I took it home the other day

Edited by dr914 (see edit history)

Do these bushings have anything to do with the door not staying open past the hinge detent thingy?  

I don't think my doors have ever had their bushings replaced.  They don't sag, but the driver's door won't stay open on any kind of incline.

Sounds like the "Spring" & arm is missing. If the piece that holds the spring has fallen off you will more than likely need another hinge.

Tom T.

On 1/21/2019 at 6:43 PM, crowvet said:

Hello, The drivers side lower door hinge on my car pops when opening and closing. It sounds like the spring popping. I have tried lubricating with no success. I sprayed the area with purple clean to clean out the door jamb. The noise stopped for a couple days. I cleaned the hinge with a alcohol based brake cleaner and re-lubed it. The noise is still there. Any ideas short of replacing the hinge? It works well, just pops  

Make sure you lube the roller and the edge of the cam which contacts the roller,

Tom

That was an answer to 65VerdeGs's (Alex) question about the door not staying open.

Tom T.

4 hours ago, telriv said:

Sounds like the "Spring" & arm is missing. If the piece that holds the spring has fallen off you will more than likely need another hinge.

Hi Telriv,

I just went and checked my Riv's doors - on both the spring and arm are intact and in place, nothing missing.

I'll have to study the operation of the door more closely to see what would cause the door to override the detent when parked at an angle

Thanks for all the suggestions. My hinge pins and bushings are tight. I do believe I see the issue though. I will try to describe. The Arm, that the spring is attached to is held in place, and pivots off of what appears to be a large pin/ rivet. As the spring stretches the arm is moving toward the outside of the car as if the hole in the arm is elongated. As the spring pulls tight or shortens, it is letting the arm pop back against the Pin/rivet. Ideas???

My advice...close the door on the Riviera. Then walk across your garage, open the door on the Stingray featured in your member ID, open the door, start it up and drive it until you forget all about the popping sound on the Riviera. Just an idea. PRL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, petelempert said:

My advice...close the door on the Riviera. Then walk across your garage, open the door on the Stingray featured in your member ID, open the door, start it up and drive it until you forget all about the popping sound on the Riviera. Just an idea. PRL

LOL, That is pretty sound advice. I bought the Riviera, to be more of a driver. The Corvette, I finished it 14 years ago. Frame off all original. I  restored to the point, that there is noting left to do to it. I needed something else to play with, so here i am with my popping hinge.