Sign in to follow this  
48oldsguy

1948 Oldsmobile Speedometer/Cable problems

I tried replacing my speedometer cable using a universal speedometer cable kit.  When I test drove the car I got a lot of squealing noise which I first thought was from the cable binding up with the outer cable sleeve, so I shortened the cable slightly.  Still the same results and erratic needle swings. I sprayed graphite into the back of the speedometer which did lesson the squealing noise a bit. I than pulled the speedometer out of the car and disassembled it for further lubricating.  The lubrication seemed to end the squealing noise so I reassembled the speedometer and put it back in the car after bench testing it to assure I had needle movement. Now I can't get any needle movement and Im not sure if the problem is fixable by me so I am soliciting for information.  Finding a reliable replacement  unit or other alternatives on the web so far has not yielded any sources.      

Edited by 48oldsguy
typo (see edit history)

I'm thinking disassembly may have demagnetized the head unit, but if it bench tested it should have also worked in the car.

Are you sure the cable end is engaging and seated in the speedometer's drive hub?

My speedometer cable order did not arrive on time so I decided to modify my old cable using a nylon coupling from a 1992 Plymouth Laser.  Just waiting for the rain to stop for test a drive