Estimate: $180,000 – $240,000

Without Reserve SOLD For $156,800

1937 Packard Super Eight Coupe

Estimate: $100,000 – $125,000

Without Reserve SOLD For $106,400

1934 Packard Eight 2/4-Passenger Coupe

Estimate: $100,000 – $125,000 

Without Reserve SOLD For $100,800

Maybe just some screaming deals, or maybe the market softening, or maybe some of these cars weren't what they seemed, at least for the first few cars on this list. 

Curious if anyone has insight.

The 1937 Super Eight Coupe is a very nice car that was a great car before restoration, had an incredibly well done comprehensive restoration, and that also has held up well over time - and actually drove down road "super" well.  I fixed a couple of things on it in early 2000's when it was in an estate. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 1:37 AM, alsancle said:

The Rollston was not attractive.

I wondered about authenticity, too.  It's an odd-looking one-off with no known history, or at least no stated known history in the description.   Maybe it's the real deal, but I wondered.  Seemed sort of like this "Rollston."

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

I'm always left wondering when a sales or auction description is lacking in provenance.   Rudy Creteur was around a long time and he had all the Rollston build records.  I know there was some issue with records going missing and not sure where they all ended up?

Btw,  for many years this car was presented as a Rollston bodied DV32.  If you sat in it and tried to turn the steering wheel your knuckles would bang the windshield.

There is a nice article from a regional CCCA magazine in the 60s where the owner described chopping a stock SV16 to create this car.

image.png.522edbf717a53f67f2339c014a0ea4a6.png

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 1:35 AM, 1935Packard said:

I wondered about authenticity, too.  It's an odd-looking one-off with no known history, or at least no stated known history in the description.   Maybe it's the real deal, but I wondered.  Seemed sort of like this "Rollston."

I would say you were looking at someone's earlier Rollston body grafted to a 34 Chassis given such as the 1929 style windwings and top - may be period though done in 34 (someone paid a chunk of change for the body to begin with and it was too important for them to toss to the used car lot).  I guess someone could have had it built from scratch in 1934, though it would have been a chunk of change for 34 too and given popularity of a coupe convertible/Coupe-Roadster would have been better off with such as a Custom Dietrich.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

On 1/30/2019 at 9:10 AM, alsancle said:

Btw,  for many years this car was presented as a Rollston bodied DV32.  If you sat in it and tried to turn the steering wheel your knuckles would bang the windshield.

There is a nice article from a regional CCCA magazine in the 60s where the owner described chopping a stock SV16 to create this car.

image.png.522edbf717a53f67f2339c014a0ea4a6.png

We have had a couple of cars now that have seriously scraped windshields from people running rings/diamonds into them. 

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I would say you were looking at someone's earlier Rollston body grafted to a 34 Chassis given such as the 1929 style windwings and top - may be period though done in 34 (someone paid a chunk of change for the body to begin with and it was too important for them to toss to the used car lot).  I guess someone could have had it built from scratch in 1934, though it would have been a chunk of change for 34 too and given popularity of a coupe convertible/Coupe-Roadster would have been better off with such as a Custom Dietrich.

I think the car was sold to what I would consider one of the top prewar collections in the country.  I'm leaning real based on that, with no other info.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting to see that the '39 Twelve described above, which had an auction estimate of $200-$250K but went for $106K, is now being offered by a dealer with an asking price of $200K. From what I understand, Dave Mitchell did the engine, and that front chrome is correct to the car, making that $106K a screaming deal that a dealer is benefiting from. 

https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/1939-packard-twelve-convertible-sedan/

On 3/22/2019 at 3:22 PM, 1935Packard said:

Interesting to see that the '39 Twelve described above, which had an auction estimate of $200-$250K but went for $106K, is now being offered by a dealer with an asking price of $200K. From what I understand, Dave Mitchell did the engine, and that front chrome is correct to the car, making that $106K a screaming deal that a dealer is benefiting from. 

https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/1939-packard-twelve-convertible-sedan/

The dealer got a really good deal and someone should have picked it up as a tour car for CCCA Caravan.  The aluminum cylinder heads are somewhat suspect/questionable (they could be reproductions, but hard to say and would have to be researched), and needs the wheels pinstripped, as well as the chrome front end being a little "brightly lit" (which I believe was an option, but not a very attractive one on most cars), but the overall deterrent probably is that as far as greens go it is not better or worse than most, but every green car we ever sold has to have some sort of discount taken on it even if the buyer loves green.