Seat springs and frame reconditioning

Hubert_25-25

My seat springs and frame need some reconditioning.  I don't think they were completely left out in the weather, but they were recovered at one time and the interior was leather and it is an open car.  There is still a little paint in a few areas on some of the springs.  So I have this spring assembly and I am afraid if I were to just recover it, it would squeak a lot.  Looking for some advise on the best and cheapest way to clean up the frame and spring mechanism, and perhaps give it a little coating to preserve it.  If I took it to a sandblast yard, that may work.  It won't do a good job between the wire windings, so not sure if a very effective process.  Maybe one of the brush on metal converters or Ospho would be best, but I would think that I should remove the bulk of the rust as well.  I thought about putting a plastic liner down and setting it in water and doing some electrolysis method?  It is not a small part.   Any thoughts or experience is appreciated.   Thank you     Hugh

1477885108_2017-08-0210_57_05.thumb.jpg.3b4e24ce9b55dcd7de85d96829223752.jpg

1875975443_2017-08-0211_15_25.thumb.jpg.d363ec3a4d2f8fed00a02a9979ed2464.jpg

1719265020_IMG_5193rearseatbottom.thumb.JPG.1011da870caecaf6be0c8e12156624d6.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Here is one way to do it :

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,950576,page=18

this guy is restoring John Glenn’s 64 Corvair convertible. Bill used Evap-O-Rust. 

• Like 2

My link is not currently working, something wrong at corvaircenter.com.. I'm sure it will be back online soon.....👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get my springs to compress real thin, so I would need a lot of evaporust.  I like the results of the evaporust for sure.  I will try the electrosys method and report back.  Thanks for all the advice.  Even the advice of what not to do, which is helpful as well.    Hugh