Mark Kikta

1922 engine progress

Dave at Otto just sent me a set of 3/16 rings for 3  3/8 pistons. This thing is going to fire up like July 4 in a natural gas field in California during a drought.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Great Morgan! 

Dave is a wealth of knowledge about rings and associated issues.  I wish you the best of luck by 4th of July !!😁

Edited by Mark Kikta (see edit history)

Mark,

I like those oil control rings.

I think some Chevies had splash oiling on the rods until '53!!! Talk about archaic.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Don,

Dave at Otto Machine said I should use them to keep the plugs from fouling so much.  I hope they work well.

Not to belabor the discussion on oil control and the wrist pin, Dave also said the same thing you said Don,  about the #3 ring (the one above the oil control ring) in that it did most of the scraping of oil off the cylinder walls and he was the one who showed me that the oil control groove under that ring and down to the wrist pin funneled that oil it took off the cylinder walls into that groove and back to the wrist pin where the hole in the wrist pin allowed the oil to lubricate the connecting rod bearing as it went back into the engine crankcase.

Edited by Mark Kikta (see edit history)
  • Like 1

OK, I understand about that grove under the ring. That gives the scraped oil somewhere to go. However, I doubt that it is the major source of wrist pin lube since there is so much oil splashing  around under the piston.

Nonetheless I like the fact that you are able to use the original pistons and ring type (except the oil control).

Since the engine never did have a real oil control ring, things have got to be better now.

I agree with you on that.

I'm looking at those wrist pin bushings today to get some.

6 minutes ago, Mark Kikta said:

Morgan thanks,

Sounds good to me.  sign me up!

OK I'll let you know how much when it's all done. 

Tonight I felt like I have turned the corner for sure.  I got the freeze plugs installed.  I used a thin coat of Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket around the edge of the hole and then installed the plugs using my freeze plug installer.  I’m very happy with the results. 

B8D771FB-AC44-4739-8734-5074BF8CDB3E.jpeg

14438678-E2AB-4031-9ADC-28149F875090.jpeg

58FBAEAC-781E-4FD1-A956-9EBEA50D6219.jpeg

A3ECFBCE-A7F9-44D1-A914-A4F844AF1D55.jpeg

C8423DA4-E84D-4E2F-82C4-99C1B451B3C7.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Mark,

I have never seen a tool like that before to press in freeze plugs.  It just goes to show that a person is never too old to learn something new.  I just machined a piece of brass to fit the cup somewhat snug and tapped them in with a brass hammer.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Edited by Terry Wiegand
GRAMMAR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I always used a socket.  And (usually) brass plugs with a coat of Indian Head.

• Like 1

You talented machinists could make such a thing where I could not.  I used a socket for years but decided to spring for this tool which I thought might be good for many things.

My "special tool" for plug insertion has always been a socket.  Didnt even know there was actually a tool, but not surprised.

Posted (edited)

My rings came today. I stuck 3 of them and an oil ring in the cylinder, and they had gaps between 0.013 and 0.015

The oil rings he sent me were same as yours. Do I have to drill little holes in the pistons for them?

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

Yes he told me to drill 6  - 1/8 in diameter holes in each piston for the oil rings

OK I'll do that, and then I won't worry about the oil getting out the wrist pins, because it can get out here just as easily. So the teflon buttons are no problem regarding oil getting out.

• Like 1

The guy at the machine shop said it would be 2 or 3 hours labor to make these buttons, at $80 per hour, so I took the rod back. I made them myself using a hack saw and a miter box like so. This is after I drilled a 1/8 inch oil hole down the middle of the rod. I made them 0.06 to 0.09 thick, some wrist pins are deeper in the piston than others, some are only 0.06 deep. Being 3/4 inch diameter, they just snap right in place perfectly.

Note the oil ring Dave gave me and the holes I drilled in that ring groove.

DSCN2714.JPG

DSCN2709.JPG

DSCN2713.JPG

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)
  • Like 1

No way. The pistons are 3.365 inches and the bore is 3.375 which is a difference of 0.01 which is 0.005 on each side. These buttons are 0.07 thick.

• Like 1

Morgan,    Yankee ingenuity at it's finest.  What the Buick engineers would have done if they only had some Teflon.  That looks like a great fit.  Hugh

• Thanks 1