1929 Chrysler Imperial 77 VIN

Jerzjer

I live in California and just purchased the Chrysler Imperial 77 from out of state. California requires a VIN verification before you can register the car. From what I have read there are three VIN’s on this car. One is on the plaque on the dash, one is on a plate on the firewall in the engine compartment, and one is on the frame passenger side by the front spring mount. I do not see one on the dash plaque or the plate on the firewall. I also can not find the one on the frame. Can anyone give me any information on the location of the VIN on this car? I could also use some information on where I can get miscellaneous parts for it. 

Hi Jerzjer, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to welcome you to AACA ! Please post a picture of the dash plaque. The Chrysler guys will be along to help you decode it. You will come to find out how much we all here love pictures. Kinda like the lone cowboy at the cantina. Rides up, hitches hoss to post, walks up to the bar and orders drinks for all (perhaps reminiscent of Him and His Uncle, if that makes any sense to you whatsoever). Being one of your new forum friends, I submit that it is analogous to buying a round, if you were to post a couple pictures of your '29 Imperial along with the plaque shot. Sure don't have to be shy here amongst the greatest bunch of "old carsters" anywhere. To paraphrase Arlo Guthrie, you can find anything you want at Ali...... Oops, I mean AACA forums. Forgive me, I have been writing for hours, and am getting ringy, and downright silly. By way of apology here are my two oldest. 1924 and 1927 Cadillacs. Original and unrestored. I have to search long and hard to find pictures new to the group. They are patient, but the same old same old could be pushing it. Please stay with us !     -   Carl 

8B5AC02F-95F3-47D4-A7F1-BF57CE8D7CA3.jpeg

2618ABF7-2EB3-48D8-B719-9E1F07814E61.jpeg

• Like 1

The person I purchased it from referred to it as an Imperial 77. It has a 77 on the cross bar between the head lights. The title just says Chrysler sedan. I can’t find the number on the frame or as you can see from the photos there is no number on the dash plaque or the tag on the firewall. I do know the one on the title is not the one on the engine. I’ve included some pictures of the car from all angles if anyone can tell me if it is an Imperial or a 77 that would be appreciated. Thank you for welcoming me to the club. I am looking forward to talking ang getting information from all. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

08E9939F-F7D9-41BC-A8E2-7C170145167D.jpeg

61734EAC-A261-49E6-8DD3-53A23C6272D6.jpeg

A8E56453-B837-4EE2-96FE-DCBD234FA44A.jpeg

541DDA3E-E503-4CE6-98D3-AB6E6C15CE7A.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you for the information. I don’t know what the hte serial number is. I see the C1and the CW but I don’t see a 35. Can you tell me where I find the 35 so I can tell the CHP where to look for it. I put a picture of the title with the VIN number. I deleted the previous owners name because I did not know if he would want it out there. 

image.jpg

Big fine car. Very solid looking. How is the upholstery ? Presently running ? What miscellaneous parts are you looking for ? Thanks for the pictures. Makes it real ! I am sure we all like your new toy, and that most of us envy your palm trees !     -   Carl 

Re the 77 vs Imperial thing. I see that car is a 77 which uses the largest version of the basic seven main bearing six first seen in the 1924 Chrysler.

The Imperial was a bigger car.

There were two different versions of the 77 sedan; the Crown and the Royal, although I don't know the difference.

There are several 77 roadsters in NZ. I don't know of any sedans but I am sure they are out there.

This coupe was imported from the US about ten years ago. That one has chassis C114HW.

IMG_0260.JPG

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

Re the 77 vs Imperial thing. I see that car is a 77 which uses the largest version of the basic seven main bearing six first seen in the 1924 Chrysler.

The Imperial was a bigger car.

There were two different versions of the 77 sedan; the Crown and the Royal, although I don't know the difference.

There are several 77 roadsters in NZ. I don't know of any sedans but I am sure they are out there.

This coupe was imported from the US about ten years ago. That one has chassis C114HW.

IMG_0260.JPG

The Crown had the parking lamps mounted high on the corners of the windshield. The Royal had the cowl mounted parking lamps The car in question has both....mmmm....confusing. The book I have says that only a very few of the last run of the Royal 77 has the vertical hood louvers. All of the other Royal 77s had the penon style hood louvers.

I can’t believe the information I have received on just a few letters and numbers and how quickly I got it. I am having so much fun with this car. Yes it runs very well and I am amazed at the attention it gets. The interior needs to be completely done. The person I bought it from removed all of the panels and the headliner. Left the seats and windows in it so I can drive it. The good thing was he labeled every panel and I could see the wood to make sure it was all in good shape. He also put new wiring and tires on it. I don’t know if there is more information to be learned with the engine number but here it is. (W16912 ) Not sure if it is the original engine for the car. Yes it is beautiful here in Carlsbad CA. And it’s perfect for the classic car lover.

1AF3A5C2-9843-43CD-A508-B04A25887712.jpeg

Only that it is in the correct series. The only way to know if it is the "original" that came in the car from the factory would be if you had the build sheet.

Repro chrysler tag: which one? The one you show in the picture, which is screwed to the firewall? There are a number of makers. eBay even. Ask the www!

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

5 hours ago, hwellens said:

Can you show a picture of the engine. It would be easy to tell the difference between a 75 and 77 engine.

He quoted a W engine code, which I guess is right. A 75 would have an R code?

Maybe a wheelbase measurement is required? 121" for the 75 and 124 for the 77?

3 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

He quoted a W engine code, which I guess is right. A 75 would have an R code?

Maybe a wheelbase measurement is required? 121" for the 75 and 124 for the 77?

The car is definitely a 1930 Model 77. It does have a 1930 bumper on the front and a 1929 bumper with the grooves on the rear.

8 minutes ago, Jerzjer said:

Mine has vents on the sides of the hood. The one in the picture looks like it is solid with some trim pieces.

Yes, the very early cars had the penon louvers and the later models have the vertical louvers like yours. Those "trim pieces" are actually louvers of a different shape.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

R 257 382 could be a frame/chassis number, but it could also be a body number. Check for this number on the front door hinge pillars, or the cowl, and also if there are any wood uprights inside the cowl under the dash and just above the toeboard. My 27 has an aluminum body serial tag on one of these wooden pieces, maybe yours has the same thing.